Sign in to follow this  
chrisal

Migration Tool

I've been busy setting up P3D with this excellent tool. It even got UT2 running. But I' seem to have made a major mess-up!

The FSX directory in User/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft has gone!

Thinking through it I may have re-booted the pc while Virtual FSX was loaded. Anyway, I cannot load FSX at all now.

Whichever mode I use I get

I hope this is reverable - any ideas?

Chris

The Migrator, if used wrongly, can completely mess up the FSX - it is one of the reasons I fully went with separate operating systems for both simulators.

The folder is gone, as you noticed it. If you didn't copy it, back it up or something, no, there is no way to recover it except maybe with Recuva or something like that.

On another note, you should always back up your data, whatever it is.

Uninstall the migration tool and get Flight1 registry repair tool. It puts FSX back into the registry. Also, run FSX installation again and select repair. I had to do all those. I now have FSX and P3D installed side by side, each operating independently. I won't use the migration tool again.

Le

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Hi All, Do you need FSX installed on the hard drive to use this migrator tool? I am hoping that just having the installers is enough. My current setup is a complete reinstall and I would love to be able to skip the whole FSX install business and just download Prepar3D and use my FSX installers to load the 3rd party programs into PrePar3D with the migration tool. Some how I have got the feeling that it is not the case. Skip Ciman

Skip,

You dont need FSX installed to use the Estonia Migrator tool. But I think most folks keep FSX up and running until they feel confident moving to the dark side.

One thing that caught me off guard was when 1.4 was released. I deleted my 1.3 install and all folders associated with it. I already removed FSX months earlier. I have to have a Hornet in my hangar and I use the VBA mod for the base FSX Hornet. I wasnt to happy having to reinstall FSX just to get that base Hornet moved over to P3D. Since then I just left FSX installed. I dont use it, I'm just hanging on to it in case I need to move something over again. But it isnt required.

..... I won't use the migration tool again.

Le

You and me both

Boy that Estonia migration tool is not too hot

You and me both

Boy that Estonia migration tool is not too hot

works great for me they keep it updated very easy to use i would recommend it to anyone

. I won't use the migration tool again.

If you do not have the latest version and try to run FSX with the migrator enabled. It Will eat you FSX appdata folder. I know, fortunately I always back up my FSX appdata folder. The latest version will not allow you to run FSX when the migrator tool is enabled. You get a nasty warning.

Yes, that was it! I managed to do it once on the old version, and I ate up my appdata folder. Recently had no problems!

Migration tool is fine helper with some of the more complex addons and with those, whose installers force installing to FSX folder, but it is really not that necessary with many of them at all. My OS got bit screwed in the summer because of faulty memory stick and I did complete reinstall of everything last weekend and also structured my addons differently becuse of P3D. For example, ORBX has their own migrator so there is nothing to worry, but other sceneries I've so far installed, including FSGenesis mesh and some texturepacks, I've put in to a separate folder, where I can easily add them to scenery library both in FSX and P3D. Simple, and double addons don't consume HD space. It also shows again how great the whole scenery library and structure in FSX really is. Most aircraft are also easily copied from FSX to P3D simobjects folder without any use of migrator tool.

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I restored Win7 to a day or so earlier and the FSX appdata file returned. I've saved a copy of it elsewhere and tried the migrator tool again. While it did its job on the installation process this time it removed the content of the appdata folder and a new fsx.cfg was created when starting FSX!

So be very wary with it.

Cheers

Chris

Chris, as said: the old version did that. 1.5 doesn't do that, because it doesn't allow starting of FSX when the mode is active. Glad you sorted it out!

Well, then it would help to know how you managed to do that. Because it virtually can't happen.