Sign in to follow this  
Levkov

Worst NGX landings

I was on my way yesterday from LOWI to EGGD and I made my worst landing ever and for the stupidest possible reason. It was so bad that I decided to make a comic about it:

Das me in the NGX on final like a boss

internet-memes-getting-rid-o-da-rents.jpg

radio altimeter reads 40

Computer-Meme-In-A-Parallel-Universe.jpg

when sudenly, a wild sneeze appears

u-no-sneeze_c_227940.jpg

In the mean time, the plane slams to the ground nose wheel first at probably -1000 fpm

35onan.jpg

I ended up busting my nose wheel, not to mention my nerves. So I was wondering, which is the worst you guys ever did?

I guess stalling it for testreasons with a crash due to my rudderpedals being blocked by a book is not something you want to hear? I'd guess it was around -XXXXXft back then :blush:

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

I had a lot of bad landing lately. After one month hiatus and trying to get back for few weeks into "the zone", only today I managed to perform somewhat acceptable landings.

During beta on the NGX, I had to unlearn several years of 744/MD11 landing technique. Those of you who have time in the MD11 in particular will know that it is a totallly different beast to land. My first dozen or so landings in the NGX were absolute floaters as I grossly overflared.

On the odd occasion where I jump back into the MD11, my landings have been terrible for the opposite reason:

"fiftyfourtythirtytwentyten"BOOOOM!!! "Crap crap crap..."<pause>BOOOM<pause>"Spoiler Deployed, Reverse Thrust Available..." :unsure:

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Not a bad landing but just as annoying.... Flew from Boston to Nuuk, Greenland in the NGX on final I right clicked for the menu and my computer froze!!!! did the same thing from Greenland to London......... I felt just like your comic!

on final I right clicked for the menu and my computer froze!!!!

Not to wander too far off topic, but this happened at least once a month on short final during my FS9 days:

On IVAO:

Me: "Schipol tower, Lufthansa 442. My aircraft is headed in the general direction of 18R, though I'm no longer with it.

Tower: "Black screen?"

Me: "Affirm ... !$(^+%%#&_#@^_"

Tower: "Cleanup crew dispatched."

:wacko:

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Worst landing:

• Final approach into LAX.
  • A/T armed and set to hold 140 knots.
  • At 50 feet, CH Yoke thrust levers idled.
  • Float over the runway. After a long flare, I realize the Auto-Throttle is still armed and holding 140 knots during flare.
  • De-activate A/T, idle thrust levers.
  • Set down after having floated 3/4ths the runway.
  • Apply maximum manual braking, full spoilers, and maximum reverse thrust to try and stop.
  • Realize the aircraft won't get under 100 knots before the runway threshold is reached.
  • TOGA Power applied.
  • Race off runway threshold at 115 knots, crash into houses off the end of the runway, burst into flames.

That pretty much sums up my worst landing. :P

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Every time i get back from "just a small GA training.." or couple of flights at Barths with the DHC6.

It's like i fly the Iron for the first time.. I slam it to the ground on my scheduled online flight, i get ######, disconnected and then i spent my entire evening practicing landings. I go to sleep right after the smoothest landing I have ever dreamed of.

Never had a bad landing ^^ I lead a charmed life. :lol:

You jinxed it now

cab.png

Ken - turns out my worst one pretty much echos yours. Except mine was minus the TO/GA, because by that point I had accepted my destiny - it just wasn't worth saving.

I'm sure in another life the trees and houses rushing past the windows were a fine sight.....

Landing at Toncontin, UA1540 KIAH - MHTG just last week...

1st attempt: start the turn too soon and too shallow. End up having to correct with a 35 or so degree left bank to try and line up. Roll out way right of centerline. Go around.

2nd attempt: start the turn just about perfectly but too much bank. Had to shallow up the bank but overcorrected and ended up in the same situation as the first attempt. Go around.

3rd attempt (before having to divert due to poor skills): start the turn a little late but somehow ended up with the perfect combination of turn rate/radius and rolled out just left of centerline. However, that 1000FPM final approach descent caused me to misjudge my flare and use a tiny bit too much nose up so I floated and then slammed down (FSRecorder said 350FPM) just past the second taxiway. That required max autobrake and max reverse to not go off the end. Probably should have gone around again.

For my first time at Toncontin, that wasn't horrible I guess. I don't know what the threshold is for a 73G where an inspection is required, but I think it is >300 FPM, so although I did land safely at my primary destination, the company would not be happy to dispatch a tech to inspect the a/c.

All of my other landings, save for a few floats back in the beginning, have been quite nice I must say. And by nice I mean anywhere from -15FPM to -200FPM (average being about -100FPM). It's all in the planning and execution of the approach and being gentle on the controls for the last mile or so of final.

I had a few of them, the worst ones were when I floated along all the runway with engines at idle, flaps at maximum and for some obscure and arcane reason no chance to touch down until the runway was over. ^_^