Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Lockheed Martin Issues Statement

Lockheed today issued a statement to AVSIM regarding P3D which we think all simmers will find interesting. You can find the article on the front page.

Why can't they answer questions in a direct and clear manner? They *still* have left a clear gray area with their ambiguous answers left for interpretation.

I personally find it frustrating as I am still left in a state of confusion...

Lockheed today issued a statement to AVSIM regarding P3D which we think all simmers will find interesting. You can find the article on the front page.

What?...this

....looked at the front page and only saw the below:

"The simulation furthers development of Microsoft® ESP™ while maintaining compatibility with Microsoft Flight Simulator X, allowing many thousands of add-ons to be used within Prepar3D."

Which does allude to a passing compatibility mission...Is that the statement?

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Academic license "(students in elementary, middle, high school or pursuing a bachelor’s degree)"

But not pursuing an Associate, Master or PHD. What about preschool? That sounds like a govt...................... hey wait a minute. I get it:)

Let's hope AVSIM asks and keeps asking until it gets an answer "which EULA permits P3D to be used by individuals for personal/consumer entertainment ?"

Let's hope AVSIM asks and keeps asking until it gets an answer "which EULA permits P3D to be used by individuals for personal/consumer entertainment ?"

I think if you read their statement you will see that they have no intention of allowing prepa3d to be used for entetainment or by hobbyists

Nigel.Porter

I think if you read their statement you will see that they have no intention of allowing prepa3d to be used for entetainment or by hobbyists

I did read it and it's ambivalent,The answer to LM's own question is that it can be used for entertainment - that's what many posters here are doing!

Yup, that's clear to me and frankly that's their right to persue a business model that caters to commercial and military training purposes. As others have also commented the agreement with MS prohibits licensing for the entertainment community. Whatever the case, how LM chooses to market their product is up to them within the constraints that have been set and perhaps the market they are aiming at is exactly what they want to do anyway. We can whine and cry all we want (and perhaps that's an argument not to go after the hobbyist/entertainment user) but well, that's about all we can do about it or just move on and enjoy what we have.

I did read it and it's ambivalent,The answer to LM's own question is that it can be used for entertainment - that's what many posters here are doing!

Quote from the article...

"Can Prepar3D be used for entertainment?

Our end-user license agreement explains that Prepar3D can be used for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment. Lockheed Martin does not offer Prepar3D for entertainment, and we have no plans to enter the entertainment space. Our focus is on learning and training." End of quote.

You guys can turn it around the way you want it but it is crystal clear to me that their license is not for entertainment as stated by LM themself (no confusion here Ben), and because many posters here started using P3D for entertainment several months ago is in no way grandfather in because of it.

To whom does not understand that please see picture below...

terapia-fobia.jpg

agreed, it's time to let go of any future hopes on that platform and simply move on with something else now. Whining, crying and moaning is for children. Seems as though all along they've been charging the retail end-user's to beta test for them. I think it's about time that the retail end user's start showing their appreciation for that. Turn around, and don't ever look back...and please stop the media attention.

• Students – We launched an academic license recently at a reduced price for educational purposes at the undergraduate college level and below (students in elementary, middle, high school or pursuing a bachelor’s degree). This is an extension of our philanthropic support for STEM education to engage the next generation of technologists and engineers.

• This is where the aswer lies.
    LM manouvered themselves in a strange position.
    Due to their agreement with Microsoft the are not entiteled to sell the product for entertainment.

BUT reading the quote above , its available for students on the elementary school ( wich are actually kids)
    So if daddy buys the game for his son or daughter , grandschild whatever for "educational-purposes" there is no obstacle.
    Daddy installs the game , enhenches it with add-ons and the child can start its learning process.
    I do not think LM does mind ......daddy educates himself a bit when the kids got to bed.
    Parents always are entiteld to read and test educational stuff they buy for their children.
    If we have children in the "kindergarten" we will have to wait till they enter elementary school..... whahahaha.

We should STOP asking LM to say things they are not allowed to.

• They give us a wide variety of ways to get it.
    Just play the game with them their way.

How long that wil go without problems depends on MIcrosoft.
    Personally I do not expect any action from that side .
  • Thats guessing I realise , the rest is cristal clear.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

The statement they just made was crystal clear about that...

"None of them."

Lockheed Martin does not offer Prepar3D for entertainment, and we have no plans to enter the entertainment space.

They can't make it any more explicit than spelling it out they way they did. Anyone still seeing ambiguity is looking for ambiguity.

They have made it clear to me by being unclear. I don't see how this can be confused.

They are allowing users to buy this for a certain use. That use is obviously going to be violated as using addons like scenery is not a necessity for learning aircraft and aircraft systems.

The program for others will be pulled just as soon as someone sees the revenue that is going to be generated by this. That is a no brainier. As soon as micro money sees that there is serious money being made off one of its dead cousins, it will move in a make waves.

For those with the money, I guess it wouldn't hurt to enjoy it while it lasts but just don't get too attached to it. You have no right legally to be using it and that is the honest truth. True, some here wag use it the way it is licensed, but most do not and will not.

It is worded in a way that is clear to understand that this will end just as soon as it started. That is why I have not and won't make the switch. It is not for us and we went into it knowing that. Eventually the owner will terminate the lease agreement want his house back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Making a product legally available for six year old kids for educational purposes is just a way to excape form the agreement with Microsoft.

Its very unrealistic to think a product can be placed on the marked with the restriction of being used by kids and for education only.

Assuming the product will become profitable for LM is not realistic.

They did not buy MSFS for that purpose and the product being profitable or not is of no interest for LM.

The product being still populair in sim-world is only an unexpected side effect.

They really want us to benefit the product they only are restricted by their agreement with Microsoft , so they create some kind of legal-escape. (as I said I am confident Microsoft will hush)

We must not be so naive thinking Microsoft does not monitor this all from the start and they did`nt do a thing.

Most likely they will read this topic too

Let me give an example.

I am not permitted to sell parfumes nevertheless I made a very attractive fragrance.

As I am allowed to sell "things to get rid of fleas" I bring my product on the market that way.

The result will be , people ( the ones who know only naturally) buying the stuff and use it as a parfume.

LM wants us (better said allows us) to buy it , they only are not allowed to say so.

So they offer us the product for educational purposes only.

Using MSFS for may years , I realise my knowledge of aviation improved year by year.

In other words I have been educating myself and had fun the same time.

Pressing LM to say things they are not allowed to say, doesn`t help.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints