Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Lockheed Martin Issues Statement

Legal translation into English

You can use it if:-

You are a PPL, or are studying to become a pilot, or seriously interested in learning to fly. Or one day when I have enough money I'll start training. The download location is imaterial. It's not a game as was "flight". It's a learning and educational tool as is FSX and FS9.

First singing the song how beautifull the fs world will be :

"We are now updating our rendering system to support DirectX11 and development is progressing nicely. With DirectX11 support, Prepar3D can leverage features such as hardware instancing, shaders, GPU-based particle systems, tessellation and multi-threaded rendering. We’re excited about the future of Prepar3D’s new rendering capability and are eager to be able to release it to the community in 2013"

And next : BUT that's NOT FOR YOU!!! How can you make a statement more ambiguous as it is, right now...

In my country one would say, "Dear AVSIM, we really sorry, but Prepar3D is not your business", when they wouldn't allow us to use it for entertainement, sorry training.

Sorry, English is not my mother tongue, it sounds a bit rude.

Hugo

Please name me an addon that is P3D only ? (except the estonian migrator of course). Your investments are safe, at least till V2.0

PMDG's investment in P3D is obviously safe - it hasn't made one, and seems unlikely that it will. Until developers like PMDG are prepared to develop for P3D it's unlikely that P3D can be a serious alternative to FSX - that's not what we all want surely?

Aerosoft and Flight Sim Labs dont agree to that statement, they are embracing P3D and willing to work with it.

Like Tom said, enjoy it and move on.

Hello everyone! I just got a prezzie - a DVD called P3D, or something. I am learning all about flying planes. Wow! It's really cool. My Dad thinks it's fun too! :p0504:

- P. Pan (age 6 years).

Supporter.png

John

PMDG and Flight1 aren't

Surely it would be better, from our point of view, if all developers felt they could support P3D?

For every PMDG there is an Orbx, Aerosoft, etc.

As much as like PMDG (and Flight 1 for that matter) I wont let their absence from P3D stop me.

If the market heads towards P3D, you can bet F1 and PMDG will follow eventually.

I've read the hole thread again and nowhere I've I see somebody telling others not to use P3D....nowhere, if I missed something please can somebody point me to out to the quote..who want to stop whom?

I myself read the statement released by P3D again and again and there is no speculation about what they said on my end as it came directly from the horse's mouth and in my book 2 + 2 always = 4, now if somebody want to make 2 + 2 = 5 to serve their own purpose I don't care but there is no ambiguity as to what 2 + 2 =.

As mgh said PMDG's investment is safe (about Flight1?), as Will also said, Aerosoft and Flight Sim Labs dont agree to that statement, let me tell you why Will.....are you ready.....MONEY, ....IF and I said IF one day P3D turn the faucet off as explained by PMDG (not saying it will happen) do you think Aerosoft or other 3PD will be sorry about the money you paid for their addons, that's (if I read correctly) PMDG's stand on the whole thing.

It seems that we are watching a big kabuki dance between a couple of corporate titans. The best we as little people can do, is get out of their way.

From LM's perspective, they bought a piece of entertainment software, ostensibly for training purposes. When they first released it, they had it at a price one would expect to pay for professional software. Then they lowered the price and said it was for educational purposes. (Wink, wink! Nudge, nudge!) Just don't ask too many questions.

Then Flight tanked, and a bunch of Microsoft suits find their heads on the chopping block. LM and Prepar3d become the perfect scapegoat: "If LM had not been selling our software as entertainment software, Flight would have been successful. It was not fair to make us compete against our own product." So, LM comes in Microsoft's crosshairs.

The whole thinkg probably ends up in litigation, where both sides spend hundreds of thousands of dollars litigating what the "clear" language of the contract really means. A judge who knows nothing about computer software, let alone flight simulators, will, most likely, determine the meaning of the contract.

It should be an interesting show. Pass the popcorn.

It never ceases to amaze me how a segment of this community can so whip themselves into a frenzy, causing themselves and many others, needless stress. We disallowed the discussions on EULAs and the MS - LM license before because there were arm chair lawyers coming out of every crevice and bolt hole imaginable, armed with more opinions and "guesses" than limbs and orifices. Here we go again, apparently. Folks, ambiguity is a legitimate business strategy. Adopt it. Accept it. Move on and enjoy!

Yes, indeed! I realy love my new educational tool, Prepar3D. I learn a lot every day and I must say I enjoy every minute of it! ^_^

/Torbjörn

PMDG's investment in P3D is obviously safe - it hasn't made one, and seems unlikely that it will. Until developers like PMDG are prepared to develop for P3D it's unlikely that P3D can be a serious alternative to FSX - that's not what we all want surely?

I dont own any pmdg stuff and I know a lot of serious guys who dont either. We are just not in to the heavies. I dont think pmdg on their own will dictate what sim is successful or not.

Making a product legally available for six year old kids for educational purposes is just a way to excape form the agreement with Microsoft.

Its very unrealistic to think a product can be placed on the marked with the restriction of being used by kids and for education only.

Assuming the product will become profitable for LM is not realistic.

They did not buy MSFS for that purpose and the product being profitable or not is of no interest for LM.

The product being still populair in sim-world is only an unexpected side effect.

They really want us to benefit the product they only are restricted by their agreement with Microsoft , so they create some kind of legal-escape. (as I said I am confident Microsoft will hush)

We must not be so naive thinking Microsoft does not monitor this all from the start and they did`nt do a thing.

Most likely they will read this topic too

Let me give an example.

I am not permitted to sell parfumes nevertheless I made a very attractive fragrance.

As I am allowed to sell "things to get rid of fleas" I bring my product on the market that way.

The result will be , people ( the ones who know only naturally) buying the stuff and use it as a parfume.

LM wants us (better said allows us) to buy it , they only are not allowed to say so.

So they offer us the product for educational purposes only.

Using MSFS for may years , I realise my knowledge of aviation improved year by year.

In other words I have been educating myself and had fun the same time.

Pressing LM to say things they are not allowed to say, doesn`t help.

Absolutely

correct...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I'm willing to bet that the same folks crying about the EULA issue are some of the same that wont hesitate to copy a CD and give it to a friend, etc.

Really?

I'm willing to bet that the same folks crying about the EULA issue are some of the same that wont hesitate to copy a CD and give it to a friend, etc.

A bit far fetched, if you ask me.

Translated, this means: everyone who has a problem with the EULA or will go "around" it (using the doors that have been openly shown), is a pirate. Cool.

True, that is a bit far fetched.

He would have done better suggesting that people who would hold others to a standard often don't hold themselves to the same standard all the time. This I am sure is true.