Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Lockheed Martin Issues Statement

They are not here, especially not since they introduced the data tax.

And you would like to run the sim from the SSD, it's even more expensive.

My point was that they are still cheaper than a second computer. Especially one with the high specs we like to run our Sims in?

Data Tax !?!? Hope our ruling idiots don't latch on to THAT idea :angry: :unsure:

I have to say that I'm impressed with the small SSD that only runs the OS on my machine, but their prices are indeed too high and reliabilty seems (from various reports) questionable too, considering that their big advantage is the lack of moving parts. :unsure:

To put that in perspective though I'm running FSX with almost 90% "maxed" sliders on an ordinary HDD without poor performance and with a lot of scenery and HD aircraft.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Data Tax? That's nothing to what is going to be introduced here. A bubble tax! any kind of drink with bubbles will be taxed. They are still working on how to charge the tax depending on bubble size and quantity!

Little bit more tax related offtopic...

In the promised land of taxes, we have something similar to data tax. There is automatic charge in the price of every empty CD/DVD/Blu-ray disc, memory stick and external HDD (if I remember correctly, internal HDDs are at least for now free of charge) and that percentage goes to two music indistry copyright groups. So, even if you wouldn't use your external HDD to store music, legally copied or not, you pay the copyright charge in the price. How wonderful...

At least I have to give high praise to these copyright groups of great lobbying...

I've also heard that that is not enough for them, of course, and now these two a-holes want to charge extra from every single adult citizen and this charge would be collected when we pay our yearly tax to run public broadcasting company. If this goes through the legislation someday I will probably explode from anger. How on earth one group of private people, that is musicians, have suddenly the legitimacy of government to collect taxes, which this clearly is?

Sheez...

In the promised land of taxes, we have something similar to data tax. There is automatic charge in the price of every empty CD/DVD/Blu-ray disc, memory stick and external HDD (if I remember correctly, internal HDDs are at least for now free of charge) and that percentage goes to two music indistry copyright groups. So, even if you wouldn't use your external HDD to store music, legally copied or not, you pay the copyright charge in the price. How wonderful...

At least I have to give high praise to these copyright groups of great lobbying...

I've also heard that that is not enough for them, of course, and now these two a-holes want to charge extra from every single adult citizen and this charge would be collected when we pay our yearly tax to run public broadcasting company. If this goes through the legislation someday I will probably explode from anger. How on earth one group of private people, that is musicians, have suddenly the legitimacy of government to collect taxes, which this clearly is?

Sheez...

You must be in Canada..........

The Land of a Thousand Lakes usually refers to Finland, though I'm sure Canada has a fair number of lakes as well.

The Land of a Thousand Lakes usually refers to Finland, though I'm sure Canada has a fair number of lakes as well.

I dont know, but we certainly have that stupid blank CD/data law here as well as a few lakes.

If I take a sledgehammer to my PC and start wailing away until pieces are scattered all over my living room, am I in violation of any EULAs concerning the proper usage of my computer components? Heck, I might be violating my sledgehammer's EULA!

Youtube link please :lol:

My country has some qualities similar to Canada, like northern nature, but japascoe is correct: Finland it is.

We have only in recent years moved away from a TV licensing system that paid for the state run channel. Every house that owned a tv had to pay for it.

As time moved on and more and more people had cable/satellite and didnt watch that stuff it was removed.

Sheez...

We have only in recent years moved away from a TV licensing system that paid for the state run channel. Every house that owned a tv had to pay for it.

As time moved on and more and more people had cable/satellite and didnt watch that stuff it was removed.

We have had similar situation for a long time too, I watch mostly foreign channels when I watch TV, but this of course don't mean a change in all and I don't even know if that matters: It is bucks that matters.

But I'm not mad at taxation for our PBC and I believe every state has their public TV/Radio broadcasting company (Does US of A have one? Probably not.) at least in Europe and it has good features: it is good crisis situation information channel as it is countrywide and it broadcasts on radio and TV. I'm mad that a private group that makes s****y music and at the same time they try to pull a tax on me alongside the payment to government funded broadcasting company. F*** them, I say, and pardon my french...

About the PBC, as a country with high respect for freedom of speech and civil liberties very annoying people are also in the air in public channels. That is plus or minus, how you like them of course...

But I'm not mad at taxation for our PBC and I believe every state has their public TV/Radio broadcasting company (Does US of A have one? Probably not.)

Why yes, the U.S.A. does have the Corporation for Public Broadcasting: http://www.cpb.org/aboutcpb/

For approximately $1.35 per American per year, CPB provides essential operational support for the nearly 1,300 locally-owned and -operated public television and radio stations, which reach virtually every household in the country.

Of course, not all expenses are covered by the CPB, so it's not at all unusual for regional and/or local stations to conduct their own fund-raising activities.

Two entities provide the majority of programming content under the ageis of CPB: Public Broadcasting System (PBS - television) and National Public Radio (NPR - radio).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My .02c worth...

I have never ever considered FSX and all previous releases just a game. If it was a game, I would be looking to shoot things down, for points or something, and fly through obstacle courses. I have learned more about aviation, flight planning, and full systems operation with particular aircraft than I ever have. For me its been an educational tool and continues to be so. Therefore I dont see a problem using P3D as such . I actually dont have it yet, but continually to watch its progress closely.

If LM had no interest in serving an FSX community, Im pretty sure they wouldnt be so pleased to have all these FSX developers migrating over. As it stands in the interview they are thrilled developers are taking an interest to enhance the product via add ons. Further, if they didnt want FSX community to be interested, I highly doubt there would be an academic version for $49 and the price would be more out of reach for the majority of us to use for PC flight simulation. And to ensure that P3D is compatible with FSX also indicates the acceptance of the FSX community.

They will continue to market it as a professional training program, but if the $49 brings a boatload of serious PC simmers, who are interested to enhance their training and education regarding aviation, that all the better. Its a side bonus. After all, why would they even accept an interview with Avsim which is a hobbyist flight simulation forum in the first place if they werent interested in the FSX community.

LM if you read any of this, I applaud the dedication, and interest you are showing to the FSX community. You have our support, and I look forward to it in the future.

As a side note, Im wondering if Microsoft, is looking at all this with regret in not making a flight the next FSX it shouldve been. Clearly there is extreme interest in P3D and you can be sure all of us who are fairly serious simmers will continue to support it. Microsofts loss. LM's gain.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

splittinghairso668963.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5