Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Lockheed Martin Issues Statement

My .02c worth...

I have never ever considered FSX and all previous releases just a game. If it was a game, I would be looking to shoot things down, for points or something, and fly through obstacle courses. I have learned more about aviation, flight planning, and full systems operation with particular aircraft than I ever have. For me its been an educational tool and continues to be so. Therefore I dont see a problem using P3D as such . I actually dont have it yet, but continually to watch its progress closely.

If LM had no interest in serving an FSX community, Im pretty sure they wouldnt be so pleased to have all these FSX developers migrating over. As it stands in the interview they are thrilled developers are taking an interest to enhance the product via add ons. Further, if they didnt want FSX community to be interested, I highly doubt there would be an academic version for $49 and the price would be more out of reach for the majority of us to use for PC flight simulation. And to ensure that P3D is compatible with FSX also indicates the acceptance of the FSX community.

They will continue to market it as a professional training program, but if the $49 brings a boatload of serious PC simmers, who are interested to enhance their training and education regarding aviation, that all the better. Its a side bonus. After all, why would they even accept an interview with Avsim which is a hobbyist flight simulation forum in the first place if they werent interested in the FSX community.

LM if you read any of this, I applaud the dedication, and interest you are showing to the FSX community. You have our support, and I look forward to it in the future.

As a side note, Im wondering if Microsoft, is looking at all this with regret in not making a flight the next FSX it shouldve been. Clearly there is extreme interest in P3D and you can be sure all of us who are fairly serious simmers will continue to support it. Microsofts loss. LM's gain.

:good:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Despite what some people may say or think, FSX is an entertainment product. It's not meant for professional use or training. Pretty much every single payware addon has a rather large disclaimer on page one of the manual stating it is most definitely a home entertainment product and is not meant to be used as a real world training tool. You can sit in front of your home built cockpit wearing four-ring captain's epaulettes, flying the PMDG NGX all day long, steadfastly refusing to use time acceleration - but you are still a hobbyist, doing it for your own pleasure, interest and entertainment.

Now then, if LM only want P3D to be used in the professional or educational environment - why do so many of the screenshots and videos on the P3D website feature lots of FSX products, and why do they highlight the fact P3D is compatible with just about all the FSX addons out there?

It seems to me someone at LM is at the very least tipping a nod and a wink to us. Whether or not Microsoft's lawyers will let the situation carry on without some sort of legal challenge is another matter...

Despite what some people may say or think, FSX is an entertainment product. It's not meant for professional use or training. Pretty much every single payware addon has a rather large disclaimer on page one of the manual stating it is most definitely a home entertainment product and is not meant to be used as a real world training tool. You can sit in front of your home built cockpit wearing four-ring captain's epaulettes, flying the PMDG NGX all day long, steadfastly refusing to use time acceleration - but you are still a hobbyist, doing it for your own pleasure, interest and entertainment.

Now then, if LM only want P3D to be used in the professional or educational environment - why do so many of the screenshots and videos on the P3D website feature lots of FSX products, and why do they highlight the fact P3D is compatible with just about all the FSX addons out there?

It seems to me someone at LM is at the very least tipping a nod and a wink to us. Whether or not Microsoft's lawyers will let the situation carry on without some sort of legal challenge is another matter...

+1

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

My .02c worth...

I have never ever considered FSX and all previous releases just a game. If it was a game, I would be looking to shoot things down, for points or something, and fly through obstacle courses. I have learned more about aviation, flight planning, and full systems operation with particular aircraft than I ever have. For me its been an educational tool and continues to be so. Therefore I dont see a problem using P3D as such . I actually dont have it yet, but continually to watch its progress closely.

If LM had no interest in serving an FSX community, Im pretty sure they wouldnt be so pleased to have all these FSX developers migrating over. As it stands in the interview they are thrilled developers are taking an interest to enhance the product via add ons. Further, if they didnt want FSX community to be interested, I highly doubt there would be an academic version for $49 and the price would be more out of reach for the majority of us to use for PC flight simulation. And to ensure that P3D is compatible with FSX also indicates the acceptance of the FSX community.

They will continue to market it as a professional training program, but if the $49 brings a boatload of serious PC simmers, who are interested to enhance their training and education regarding aviation, that all the better. Its a side bonus. After all, why would they even accept an interview with Avsim which is a hobbyist flight simulation forum in the first place if they werent interested in the FSX community.

LM if you read any of this, I applaud the dedication, and interest you are showing to the FSX community. You have our support, and I look forward to it in the future.

As a side note, Im wondering if Microsoft, is looking at all this with regret in not making a flight the next FSX it shouldve been. Clearly there is extreme interest in P3D and you can be sure all of us who are fairly serious simmers will continue to support it. Microsofts loss. LM's gain.

+1

If I were to hazard a guess at what's going on I'd say that Lockheed Martin, being a rather large corporation that makes lots of aeroplanes probably has one or two aviation enthusiasts who also enjoy flight simulation in its employ. Those aviation/simulation enthusiasts probably work as part of the P3D team and know there's a lot of us out here waiting for something to come along and pick up where Microsoft left off. They're tipping a nod and a wink to us, letting us exploit a little loophole with the P3D license. After all, in the grand scheme of things - in the age of Xbox and PlayStation where triple A releases can sell millions in the first few weeks, FSX users migrating to P3D are a very small drop in a very large ocean.

So stop splitting hairs and just take advantage that someone is still progressing the FSX code and we mere mortals and enjoy it for a modest price. If you buy P3D and aren't an academic institution the sky isn't going to fall and black Lockheed Martin helicopters aren't going to appear hovering over your house.

People can't take a joke around here.

Yeah right. If that is the level of discourse to have here, then we'll shut this topic down. I can get more opinion and thoughtful discourse out of my cat.