Sign in to follow this  
nudata

System Volume Information Files?

Files called System Volume Information take up sapce on my dosk. Is there a way to either eliminate them, prevent them or at least reduce their size?

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

IIRC, you can disable system restore and they will go away. Otherwise there is nothing you can do.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Rather than turn System Restore off...if you get yourself a copy of CCleaner (free)... http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner you will be able to selectivley delete individual restore points (old ones). At least in that way you can control the disc size being used.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Windows7 Restore files are in a separate folder called Restore Points. There is a restore file for system data and I cleared that but it was not very big anyhow. The bulk of the info in the System Volume Information folder is in files labeled with GUIDs (goofy alphanumeric id names). I can't get to them because they have the highest security. I can probably break that with a program I have but undoubtedly it will be binary data anyhow and I do not know the consequences of fiddling with those files. There are 51.4 gb in the System Volume Info folder. It is scattered around the disk as well.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Try (shift) deleting everything in the C:\users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp folder. Everything can go. If the file is in use, skip it. Same for C:\Windows\Temp

If you don't use the hybernate function, disable it and delete hiberfil.sys. Should give you a few gigs of free space. Mine is 6GB!

Also, how large is your C:\Windows\winsxs? If you are willing to sacrifice not being able to uninstall Windows 7 SP1 you could try cleaning it up. Do NOT simply delete the contents. Google it and you can save another 3 or more GBs. Here's one example: http://www.microsoft...ws-2008-r2-sp1/.

Good luck.