Sign in to follow this  
Noel

With the current state of P3D what made you decide to jump in?

Why jump in to P3D now?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Given various issues to address to make P3D work w/ all add ons that already work well in FSX, what was your PRIMARY drive to jump in now?

• Provide monetary support to LM as an incentive for them to continue/accelerate development
    • Fear of not being able to purchase the product as it matures to version 2 and beyond due to EULA restrictions or higher costs
    • Belief that FSX support will eventually be dropped in favor of P3D support by 3rd party devs
    • Other

It seems from reading the forum here when you pick up P3D you must be prepared to deal w/ various issues to make this and that add on work correctly, and many other issues. Tell us why you decided to jump in given these issues.

Thanks in advance!

Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Actually, I found less tweaking is needed to run P3D. And I continue to see it running better and smoother than my FSX. Example, I am running FSX off an SSD and I get better FPS running P3D on a 7200 RPM drive, in 27" triple monitor Surround mode. That probably has sold me the most. They are actively working on the code and GPU enhancement.

Is it the holy grail? Heck no.... still has issues, little quirks, things removed that you wish were there like in FSX (opening screen is a good example). And yes, moving or installing FSX add-ons could be a little time consuming or even a headache if you come across that one you really want. I haven't had that yet but I am a P3D newbie.

Overall, I truly feel this is probably "FSXnext". I don't think you will see a mass exodus from FSX until P3D v2.0 is released next year... and it can live up to its expectations. But I am pretty much sold on it. For me, the nice thing is I have been putting in several $1,000's into this hobby and it's nice to see a lot of the add-on investment can be moved into this platform for many more years of enjoyment.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

No issues for me. I use the FSX to Prepar3D Migration tool from Simmarket. P3D v1.4 is super smooth. I have REXe, GEX, UTX, UT2, PMDG 737NGX UK2000 Airports etc. All works brilliantly. Way smoother than FSX. Hasn't crashed on me once.

The Migration tool makes installing my add-ons very easy.

P3D took less than an hour to tweak and get it working just fine. Took me 4 years with FSX.

There is NO support left with MS for FSX - LM & P3D is progressive and here to stay.

I will not go back, even if LM nevers releases another version.

Tom

less tweaking, smooth fps, more fps(8-12 fps increase over fsx for me) and a HUGE MULTI BILLION DOLLAR Company in the Military/Civilian Aircraft Industry backing up P3D with updates. :drinks:

Out of the box improvement in scenery rendition, got better with a 15 minute tweak session. All sliders on maximum. No stutters or shivers. I brought the Pro version next day. Brilliant!

I believe it is the future of flight sim.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I spent little effort to achieve the desired results in PD3 that I could not achieve with FSX. I do not believe this is a placebo effect as I have not experienced the crashes that I had with FSX on long flights. Also, 90% of the add-ons are working and with the amount of money I spend on this hobby I can gladly defend any EULA issues and I just will stop buying form you. As far as the EULA from LM, I have been and always will be a student of flight, that to can be defended by the knowledge gained and the non-gaming atmosphere of my setup. You never know when you could be recruited for drone flying. Maybe this is a conspiracy, ummm. LOL

I just lost my FSX dvd installation media, so decided to buy P3D Academic.

Since P3D at current time is as good as FSX, but a little better, that was a perfect purchase for me.

Everything worked in FSX, working in P3D for me, and also there're a some fps increase.

Compelling testimony. Thank you for chiming in ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Compelling testimony. Thank you for chiming in ;o)

In fact, at first time I wrote a long post about how cool that LM release minor version updates, how cool

is they didn't break reverse-compatibility with FSX, etc... but I supposed "who cares?".

P3D is working, and working well. Slightly better than FSX. So all we have to do is sit down, and wait for 2013

2.0 release promised if we want a new simulator, or purchase 1.x version, if we want so-called FSX SP3.

Since release of FSX in 2006 we all had to wait for somebody to eliminate these awful lags and slutters. In P3D 1.x they're almost completely gone at my system. So currently it's a perfect simulator for me, I can't wish more.

I'm just sitting and waiting, not sure what for, probably v2, but I will jump soner or later :smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I'm just sitting and waiting, not sure what for, probably v2, but I will jump soner or later :smile:

The only thing I afraid from - that v2 will be as "smooth" at 2013 hardware, as FSX was at 2006 h/w, and we all have to wait for another 6 years :-)

The only thing I afraid from - that v2 will be as "smooth" at 2013 hardware, as FSX was at 2006 h/w, and we all have to wait for another 6 years :-)

Mmm, interesting point, i hadn't thought about that. Although I guess even V2 will be using the same base code and design that is current with V1, but who knows... maybe you're right, I hope not, as that really would be a bummer!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

"I'm just sitting and waiting, not sure what for, probably v2, but I will jump sooner or later"

Rockliffe, I was like you. Sitting on the fence wondering if I really wanted to try this now or just wait until v2.0 to take the plunge. Maybe back in my mind I did not want to because I was thinking, Gawd, now if it works I got to learn a whole new sim, make a massive move, reload everything, new tweaks, bla-bla-bla. It can't be that good.... it's just FSX with a few changes, right? Just trying to talk myself out of it.

So I said no I will just start "cruizin'" the P3D forums out there to see what is happening and bide my time. Well, what I was reading was some pretty good things out there. I finally said what the hey.

Glad I did. My preliminary, very subjective, unscientific observations was showing me this thing is running better than FSX. Remember when we we researching displays whether to go triple-wide or just go with a single larger monitor? I believe you went with single 30" or 32"? I finally went for the 27" three-way with Nvidia Surround. I could never get past 15fps on average with FSX but with P3D I can lock onto my 30FPS. And I tell ya, I can see why people rave about Eyefinity and Surround. P3D can be so immersive like I have never experienced. I can actually get a little queesy in the stomach with some sharp turns. Oh the panoramic views flying low & slow can be breathtaking. LM have already done some work using multiple GPUs - I can see that now. And that is what sold me to now move fully into P3D.

Yea, I will still have FSX on a dedicated drive but I am already making plans for my dedicated 512GB SSD just for P3D (some how I just know in time I will fill that beast up with addons). I picked up that little P3D Migration tool and that has worked very well for what few add-ons I have tried. Nvidia Inspector appears to work better under P3D with regards to GPU settings too.

Wow, guess I had a lot to say, but I kinda am getting a newly excited feeling about this, sort of like when new releases of MSFS would come out every three years.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit