Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

Coolsky DC-9 Close up from the out side.

Enjoy!

UwCL7.jpg

G6ED.jpg

Hg1Bh.jpg

q5tec.jpg

rdJUF.jpg

axCvH.jpg

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Hmmmm, David...did you buy one of the new McPhat texture packs for this? I don't think the KLM livery is provided with the aircraft ;)

And I do think those new McPaht livery packs are a bit finer resolution than the four that come with the aircraft, no? Great screenshots, BTW.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

This IS the McPhat UHD Pack! And thats the big catch for everyone: In coolsky's description, it says that McPhat modeled and textured the Coolsky DC-9, and everyone awaits an UHD skin, like on CS' 707, also skinned by McPhat out of the box.

Coosky's site:

The aircraft model, also modeled and textured by McPhat Studios, is just as rich in detail as the virtual cockpit. There are moving parts all around down to the individual control tabs on the control surfaces.

However, this is only half way true: the VC is made of a MUCH better quality and resolution than the exterior liveries, but of course, this is intentional: McPhat created the DC-9's textures in low res, only to sell their hi-res texture packs to ppl on their website. McPhat isn't even ashamed to bash their own work there:

Bigger is not always better (or so she said), but bigger maps do help. By handpainting the entire kit from the ground up, we get to match all effects over the entire range of maps to the pixel. Which means that rivet you see on the diffuse map, is also bumped on the normal map and slightly reflects differently on the specular map. Because of the high pixel per meter ratio, we can then make a rivet look like a rivet and not a golfball, and a panel line like a panel line and not a world war 1 trench.

What really bugs me is that if it wasnt for ppl like NyxxUK here, you would never get a preview on how those textures look inside a normal FSX, because McPhat always use heavy ENB post-processing in their pictures and videos. Don't get me wrong, I really like McPhats work and the excellent textures they produce, but their marketing strategy is kind of offensive and reminds me in all that "buy premium now!" stuff used by filehosting sites.

Hi Soulflight,

Just a few corrections to help clear this up,

The mandate for the project lies with Flight One,

Mcphat did do the model for the VC and Exterior, and textured at 4096.

These were worked with Coolsky who did the programming.

The completed textures and model were sent to Coolsky for beta testing and updated as required.

Once the final release candidate was squared away, the whole package was sent to Flight One (The Publisher) for packaging and publishing.

Their requirement was for Normal definition textures, so that is what was provided.

The 4096 textures are available at Mcphat yes, would be silly not to release them as that's how they were worked at Mcphat's end from day one.

Regarding any misleading advertising, this was bought up with them, to quote the Boss....

If you think Coolsky falsly advertises the DC-9 (we don't get paid a single cent for what it sells) then take it to Coolsky and/or Flight1. I am not responsible for other people's websites.

If it was up to ME, we would have put UHDT liveries in the release pack, sadly that decisions was not up to me, but up to the publisher and they choose to not do that.

I spoke with Coolsky and Flight1, they will replace them with new screenshots, in the mean time they added a disclaimer.

Hope this helps clear up any misgivings.

Hmmm. Three sets of external textures for 13 Euros a set of six liveries... That adds up in a hurry. This plane has been in the 'to do' list. Probably still is, but even one texture pack makes overall pricing pretty steep. Might not have appeared so bad if the ones out of the box were as per those add on ones.

Yeah, the brand thing is a subject all on its own.

Good to hear re the extra liveries.

Great shots David!!

Rivets and bump mapping, look awesome!

Hi Sara Louise Capon,

thanks for the clarifying ;) like I said I really appreciate your and your teams effort and texture work.I also believe your boss, saying he wanted to provide UHDT-liveries out of the box, but what exactly would this have meant for the release price? The DC-9 would maybe be 65 $ then, I cannot imagine McPhat giving those liveries away for free (like you said freeware liveries are coming, but later) nor Flight1 dividing their profit with McPhat while keeping the release price.

I found Coolsky's information on their website misleading, but I also understand a companies need for providing a nice image to the public, so I think whoever I will ask about this, McPhat, Coolsky, Flight1, they will all point the issue to the other two. Marketing is always Marketing after all. ;)

anyways thanks for your response and keep up the good work :)

regards,

-M

Thanks Soulflight,

And for being understanding,

I'm not on the politics side, so only can repeat what info. I have.

The next project will be in house,

so will be a lot easier to track down who does what :)

I personally wish like all others that do this, that this could be their only job,

but then no-one would ever be able to afford the packages lol,

and most of us would be homeless ha ha.

sometimes it is just for the love of aircraft.

Great images... absolutely amazing .......I am almost convinced to get this baby, however, as a Boeing man and specially NGX... I have a few question regarding this bird..... (1) Regarding complexity of the plane how it's compared to NGX scale 1:10=NGX, (2)what kind of Autopilot is used???? (3)does it have FMC??? (4) does it have Auto throttle ? if some one can guide me please to a link or document to help because I hate using the INS and actually I never did......last one (5) would you recommend this over the AS Airbus extended ??

Sorry and thanks

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

This bird was designed to be flown using VOR and ADF radio beacons. It does not have an FMS - nor were many fitted with INS because it was a short haul, high cycle aircraft. Very similar to United's 727s which, before they were phased out after 9/11, were still aquipped with two vors and an ADF.

So you will have to plan out flights using radio beacons - which is easy to do with a product like FS Build. It has a waypoint table with frequencies and radial headings.

The AP will be basic, but it will follow a VOR radial and and ILS. You can also set it for climb rates and to hold altitudes. No Autothrottle. You will ahve to set thrust rates manually.

This was flying when engineers were just changing over from slide rules to the very first Texas Instruments and HP scientific calculators. The most powerful computer in the pilot's head was his/her brain.

I find planes like this a pleasant change from the FMS equipped birds. I get bored flying the highly automated ones. Keeping track of location, altitude etc. requires a lot of concentration which I find fun.

Hope this helps.

Colin

This bird was designed to be flown using VOR and ADF radio beacons. It does not have an FMS - nor were many fitted with INS because it was a short haul, high cycle aircraft. Very similar to United's 727s which, before they were phased out after 9/11, were still aquipped with two vors and an ADF.

So you will have to plan out flights using radio beacons - which is easy to do with a product like FS Build. It has a waypoint table with frequencies and radial headings.

The AP will be basic, but it will follow a VOR radial and and ILS. You can also set it for climb rates and to hold altitudes. No Autothrottle. You will ahve to set thrust rates manually.

This was flying when engineers were just changing over from slide rules to the very first Texas Instruments and HP scientific calculators. The most powerful computer in the pilot's head was his/her brain.

I find planes like this a pleasant change from the FMS equipped birds. I get bored flying the highly automated ones. Keeping track of location, altitude etc. requires a lot of concentration which I find fun.

Hope this helps.

Colin

Thanks a lot Colin for such a precious information, one final one...without Fsbuild...where I could get frequencies and radials for VORs or NBDs and such ? because I tried points of FSX flight plans it doesn't give such an information to my knowledge.

Many thanks

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5