Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Support for FSX Has Come to an End

Same, as I am unsure how this will go now. Just last night I deleted a whole bunch of scenery and was thinking of doing a reinstall. Now I am wondering if I will have issues with it if I do. This would make the 3rd reinstall for me on 2 computers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An era has ended. The future is elsewhere In a different platform.

Kind regards,

Very true... Unfortunately, as the days pass, it looks as if that void is less and less likely to be filled.

Bring on P3D!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Bring on P3D!

The licensing will hold us back. They said that they will never I repeat, NEVER go into the consumer sim entertainment market. XP10 is our last hope!

P3D will do just fine. Getting hung up on this licensing stuff is silly. It will be flourishing I bet when V2 drops. XP10 has a lot to refine before I even entertain dropping FSX.

Very true... Unfortunately, as the days pass, it looks as if that void is less and less likely to be filled.

I fear the darkness is descending on this hobby. Maybe oneday the sun will rise again but it won't be from Microsoft's direction. I don't think there has been any good news in FS these last two weeks. LM snubbing the consumer market, Laminar Research being sued, Michael Greenblatt passing away and now FSX support officially ending.

We are besieged on multiple fronts and it is only now a matter of time before the walls crumble.

XP10 is our last hope

I recall folks saying brand X is the future of flight sim/games back in the early 90's and I must have tried every demo they release. :) But i wish them the best. When FSX is no more I will be no more anyways. The other day I noticed an FS98 forum on another sim website. It was still perty active.

P3D will do just fine. Getting hung up on this licensing stuff is silly. It will be flourishing I bet when V2 drops. XP10 has a lot to refine before I even entertain dropping FSX.

I pray you are right Randy I really do. We need some good news for a change.

"Customer Support for FSX has expired here at Microsoft" Apparently this happens all by itself, a little like milk going off after being left in the fridge too long...

Do they really think we are idiots?

Microsoft DECIDED not to continue supporting FSX. No amount of corporate double speak can hide that fact.

Cheers,

Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

To be honest, all of you stop being so dramatic. ;) FSX is anything but dead, there are addons being released almost on a daily basis, I never sent support at MS any e-mails and btw, what about FS2004? Wasn't that product also put out of support a few years ago? There are ppl still using it....

I don't care about MS support, I think there isn't anyone left at MS who has any knowledge about FSX anyways.

As long as activation still works, FSX still works, simple as that. If you buy a product you buy it forever and not for a few years until that company shuts down the activation server. If they do so, there better be a solution on how to install FSX without activation.

We are besieged on multiple fronts and it is only now a matter of time before the walls crumble.

This is what I have thought for a long time.

....only a matter of time......

An end of an era indeed. I still have my copy of MS FS1, released way back in 1982. I also had an earlier version for the C64, by subLOGIC. It's hard to think that after 30 years Microsoft is no longer involved in the PC flight sim business.

Regardless of all the complaints, thank you Microsoft for 30 years of pretend flying. Hope you reconsider, I'll miss the good and the bad.

David Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

... or hosting various updates and download files for the FSX product.

Does that include the service packs and SDK? Perhaps AVSIM could be allowed to host these files now?

www.antsairplanes.com

I fear the darkness is descending on this hobby. Maybe oneday the sun will rise again but it won't be from Microsoft's direction. I don't think there has been any good news in FS these last two weeks. LM snubbing the consumer market, Laminar Research being sued, Michael Greenblatt passing away and now FSX support officially ending.

Don't cheer us up all at once... B)

I don't think things are necessarily as dire as you say. LM isn't "snubbing" the consumer market. They're restricted from selling a consumer/entertainment license by the original terms of the agreement with Microsoft. That could change now. Granted, LM isn't a consumer company, but they do depend on taxpayer goodwill, so a consumer license, if they're able to sell one, would be good, classic public relations. Of course, it's possible Microsoft will continue to sell FSX (as I pointed out in a comment on the front page, Microsoft is dropping support, a cost item, but could continue to generate revenue from legacy sales). So that's another way that product life might be extended, at least for a while.

Now, let's say Microsoft shuts down FSX and LM can't or won't pick it up. There are plenty of legacy products with thriving communities - look at Falcon and Harpoon. Finally, re: Laminar - the fact that they're being sued doesn't mean they're in jeopardy. Companies get sued all the time and continue to do business. X-Plane has a long way to go but I find I'm spending more and more time with it - at its best, with good add-ons and decent scenery, it's the equal of FSX in many important respects and superior in some. And it's a living project with ongoing support and development.

PC gaming as a whole is struggling, but the nice thing about the Internet is that it reduces costs and opens up access to scattered users, so it's possible to build a niche business that captures a small community at reasonable costs. Laminar has a shot to be that company. So, too, from another perspective, does LM. At the worst, FSX still has a few years to run. At best, there are several possible successors. I'm willing to invest in another round of hardware and stay tuned.