Sign in to follow this  
Guest estevesm

Changing careers...

Guest estevesm

I don't know about reentering the IT industry (it's already pretty hard to stay in it right now...). I will start to take a look at the flight schools around here. When you say 5-6K you mean for the whole PPL process? (rental, instr. fee, ground school, flight hours, exam fees...)That's not bad...Is is really true that freight pilots fly thru t-storms??? I thought that is suicide... :-hang

Guest estevesm

I'm happy for you! I share the same line of thinking... doesn't matter what you fly, just fly. I actually find flying big jets a bit boring, with all that automated stuff. In FS2K2, I usually fly a Caravan, which is slow enough so I can learn things easily and the only time I use the autopilot is in cruise.About my job, I don't hate it. However, if I could make the same $$ being a pilot (no matter big iron or small single) I would switch as of yesterday :-)

Guest moomox

Well don't expect that kind of money right away. I'm going from a good stable job to an industry that seems to be in turmoil most of the time and will make less money starting out. But in the end, it will all be worth it! There is no place like an office in the sky...

Guest skylanepilot

There's an old saying that no one ever gets rich in aviation. Anything to do with airplanes requires huge investments in capital equipment, maintenance, regulatory compliance, fuel, etc. before the pilot even gets to the gate. If you want to fly, do it because you love it ... not cause you want to get rich. If financial security is your goal, stick with what you're doing now.That said, there may be other ways to enjoy flying without making a wholesale career change. I'm currently working on my Commercial/CFI with the thought of instructing part time. I've got a friend who's Chief Instructor at an aerobatic school and he's in heaven flying a Pitts and a Decathlon all day long. One of my instructors was a full time software engineer who arranged his schedule to put his 40 hours into 3 days each week and he taught aerobatics on his days off.A lot of aviation companies encourage their employees to fly and some will partially reimburse flight training costs. Some companies will reimburse the cost personal flying for business just as they would give you mileage for your car.Just because you can't be a professional pilot, doesn't mean you can't persue your love of flying!! Get creative and you'll find a lot of other options open to you.Good luck ..

I have 10 hours in a 172 that I got as a student in 1984. At the time, I did not solo but got close. I did, however, earn my private pilot certificate in FS2000 and completed at least half of the instrument rating training but have not taken the check ride. Believe it or not, while I like FS2002, which is much better, I still prefer the flight training in FS2000. This summer, I am going to finish the instrument rating and the commerical rating. By the end of the summer to early fall, I should be completely finished with my ATP rating through FS2000. After I complete the course and print out my ATP certificate, I am going to attach it to my application with Delta Airlines for no less that a left seater in a 737-300. I live about 80 miles from ATL where Delta is based. I figure after a couple of years of doing that, I should be highly competitive for a left seater job in a 757/767. If they can give my an international route in a 767-300, I might just stay there. I can't wait!

Guest estevesm

Forgive my ignorance, but will the fs2000 atp certificate be of any validity to Delta? I don't know if they will consider that as a "plus" in your resume... interesting...In my opinion, you might get a right seat in a twin turboprop or small jet... but you never know... I don't think it's that easy to get a captain job right upfront.Blue skiesMarcelo

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Marcelo,He was just being sarcastic (I hope!)

It will be a piece of cake. No problem! Completing the FS2000/2002 ATP qualifications is more than enough to secure a left seat in a heavy. It would not surprise me if they offered me a 777-200 left seater job to begin with. However, due to cutbacks and the like, I am expecting them to offer me a 737-300 captain's job since my ATP training will have occurred in the FS2000 B737-400, an aircraft that Delta does not have.

Guest estevesm

Ok, I get it... :-)Well, I have a couple of hours in the right seat of a King Air, but that's only during take off and climb phases. I had to leave the airplane every time at 13000 feet because I was bored...

Seriously Marcelo,I don't know if I would make aviation a career choice this late in the game unless I won the lottery or was independently wealthy. From my understanding, if you can program computers and have full knowledge if Windows98/ME/2000/XP, then you should potentially be in the big bucks, or so it is commonly believe by lay persons such as myself. So, if that's the kind of IT that you are in, then make big bucks and fly for pleasure. How is the IT world right now for programmer wizzards?Robb

Guest estevesm

Well, the IT field is very tough now, although I'm one lucky guy: I still have a job.However, I'm planning to start a small consultant shop for "code for flight time" type of business... :-)I'll let you guys know how that works out...Marcelo