Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

"Real World Weather"(RWW) and winds in X-plane10...

I believe most of you acknowledge that, starting 10.10 RC1, there were notorious differences to the way X-Plane10 translates METAR data into it's weather datarefs.

Previous to version 10.10RC1 it was almost impossible to rely on RWW for flying because even the faintest variable winds would get translated into shear and turbulence levels making us fight tornado weather instead of what was shown in the METAR.

I have been running several tests using RWW in 10.10RC2 and all I can say is that this turn around Austin nailed it!

All the kinds of situations I was able to test, by comparing the contents of the METAR file ( METAR.rwx - editable with Notepad++ i.e. ) to what is set in X-Plane10.10RC2 weather, is rather plausible.

Depending on the intensity of the wind, either by having a "G"usting field or a VRB one, you get a range of heading and velocity, as well as turbulence, very well adapted to the reality, in as far as using only a METAR for RWW rendering makes it possible - and it certainly is the best way of doing it, or at least the most effective one, otherwise, use your own settings through the Weather Settings Menu...

Today I searched for a place with VRB, but also Gusting winds. Found LDRI:

2012/09/20 07:30

LDRI 200730Z VRB10G20KT 9999 SCT047 16/04 Q1019

and loaded X-Plane10.10 demo to check it. What I got was a very plausible heading variation (even if set through shear), intensity variation (between aprox 10kt and peek 20kt) and some turbulence as well, to match what is expected under such circumstances:

At other places with faintest VRB winds, or even no VRB, turbulence was either not set at all, or set to realistic very low values, turning my rides into an overall very realistic feeling for the given weather situation.

This is certainly BIG "KUDOS" to Austin :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Jcomm...do you know if they are planning on softening up the effect of turb in the sim (in other words, decreasing the overall effect)...or if theyve already done that in the betas by chance?

I understand you mean that theyve adjusted the "amount" of turb used from metars...but im curious about the effect itself and whether or not its been toned down some or changed in anyway from the officially released current version?

...with the current version (non beta) and a similar amount of turb used as in your pic im getting lots of yawing back and forth.

Jcomm...do you know if they are planning on softening up the effect of turb in the sim

I believe so. I just came from LPHR (Horta, Azores islands) where Nadine is approaching. METAR was 20G48 and I took off with the c-90. Of course there was an acceptable 0.034 turb level, and as soon as I saw it I tought to myself... here we go on a bumpy ride....

The turbulence effects were naturally quite noticeable, but instead of the cahotic and way too intense instant changes, even on the ASI (later tried with the P-180 with it's EFIS/PFD), I experienced what I found to be a softened, rather realistic turbulence for that value.

So... I really believe they also smoothed the exhagerated turb effect :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

sounds good...i wish the effect would be more of a bang/bounce in rough air or pockets instead of that weird yaw thing.

Yes, that's true, although there is at least a little bit more of vertical activity than in FSX... IMHO MS FLIGHT captured it beter than any other sim I knew (with the possible exception of FU3, but I no longer recall how it felt there, although I remember it created a really challenging experience when "frontal weather" was set....)

Main Simulation Rig: