Sign in to follow this  
TOX

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog: to buy or not buy, info wanted pls

Hello Howard,

Great video and I sure want to try this for real.

I even might get away with the original springs because, at the moment, I use the stick most of the time for helicopter flying. Loosened springs are not really a problem then.

I leave for spain in a few days time (a short but well-overdue vacation) and since I don't have to get back to work until the end of Octobre, I will have plenty of time to fiddle around with this stick...

Thanks for the video

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

I'm in Spain as I type too!! Have a good vacation and let me know if you need any further info. Cheers

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

OK, here it is... I have owned both the Saitek x52 pro and of course now the Warthog. Although the x52 is an OK stick, that's all it is. It gets a lot of followers because of the amount of possible assignments and different profiles that can be attributed to it. So, you do get a lot of stuff for your money, it's also pretty competent, although for many, including myself, it is quite a sloppy stick. However, the Warthog is in a completely different class of it's own, and I don't use that terminology as a cliche, it really IS in a class of it's own. So you have to ask yourself, if you have the choice, would you want to drive a Mazda or a Ferrari? As they say, the decision is your's...

BTW: I have learnt many things in life, one of them is that it's always easy to regret a wrong decision but never easy to regret making a right decsion.. :wink:

Thank you Rockliffe

In the interest of finishing my story...

After telling my story here I decided to contact Thrustmaster about this issue yet again. They claimed that they really had sent me the part 3 months ago but I must not have received it. A day later I received shipping notification and today I received the part.

Noah Bryant

thanks Howard

so can i use the t.h.warthog switches like the x52 pro switches? i mean are they identical in profiling use?

From images i have seen of the 2 units x52 pro has a more compact and modern switch system but the t.h.w. has a more analogue switch system. will they work in a similar maner?

thanks

is there a chance to see T.H.Warthog and x52 pro profile switch setup image on here?

hello again,

I just noticed that this thread is still active.

Like I stated before, this stick is a no brainer and an all-round player.

I started using it as delivered (as a combo) but one of the great attractions is the fact that you can use stick and throttle independently from each other. I use the stick as sidestick for an airbus but I can use the throttle together with my pfcflightyoke when flying a boeing...

So far, I have not encountered any issues with it and I still find it the best stick I have ever bought (and that includes all previous Thrustmaster hardware I used in the past.

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

thanks Howard

so can i use the t.h.warthog switches like the x52 pro switches? i mean are they identical in profiling use?

From images i have seen of the 2 units x52 pro has a more compact and modern switch system but the t.h.w. has a more analogue switch system. will they work in a similar maner?

thanks

is there a chance to see T.H.Warthog and x52 pro profile switch setup image on here?

Hi Tox, forgive me, but I don't quite understand your questions... the switches are not identical in profiling use as I think I'm right in saying you can't set up profiles with the Warthog in the same manner as the X52. Effectively there are approximately 52 possible assignments with the Warthog, plus the hatswitch... don't know about you, but surely that is more than enough for anyone. I think what you're trying to do, quite naturally, is compare the two, and believe me, there is no comparison!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

yes you guessed it, right on :))

i am trying to compare the 2 not as there built quality (100% t.h.w best) but usability manner, such as the x52 is plug and play with fsx but t.h.w needs some re-assignment of command key switches. I think there is no ready made profiles for it which can help people like me.

i would like to buy the t.h.warthog but i am a bit worried if it gets too complicated to use in fsx since i am not an expert at it.

Also do we need to assign switches to all fsx planes 1 by 1 or is one setup enough to plug and play most the planes?

regards

TOX

It's only as complicated as you make it. When I use it for FSX I really only have maybe less than 10 commands actually mapped to the stick.

If you want to come up with some FS command to map to every button of the stick you can, but there's really only a few that are good to have on the stick since you can still use the mouse to interact with the plane. No stick is going to be able to replace that.

I have thrust reverse mapped to the throttles back detent, an autopilot cutoff button, a auto-throttle cutoff button. I have parking brakes mapped, a screenshot button. Spoilers are mapped to the slider, flaps are mapped and I think that's everything.

Also note that I use registered FSUIPC and I'm not sure if someone mentioned it but there is no rudder with the stick like the Saitek one. I think TH assumes that if you're going to spend 500 dollars on a stick, you already have rudder pedals.

Noah Bryant

unbelievable, one of the top posters and Beta tester at the worthog forum actually uses a $40 Logitech extreme for that simulation. I just now finished loading his stick profile as I have the same and it works perfect

I would however like a TM since its a lifetime hobby and in that context $500 isnt that much but I need a twist stick due to my cockpit set up I cant use rudders ( on a lazy boy chair in front of a projector)

I dont have anything mapped to my fsx stick (same as above) apart from trim,flaps and RT since as mentioned the mouse does 95% of the work even in the pmdg

ZORAN

There is a slider on the throttle that you could use as a rudder, however it wouldn't spring back to center. Actually it may feel sort of like a tiller.

Not a great solution I know.

Noah Bryant

Noah thanks for the tip but I use the stick on my right and a throttle quadrant on my left so it would be kind of tricky with one hand ...Rudders arnt needed as the ball is always centered, I dont use rudders now unless its a flip over type maneuver but thats rare but i need the twist ruder for fsx

ZORAN

i want to be able to use thw switches rather then the keyboard, can we get more switches mapped on the x52 pro for fsx or the t.h.Warthog is better suited?

thanks

Excuse me for hijacking this thread but what is that vr insight panel in your video Howard ?

This is the issue with the warthog:

It's only as complicated as you make it. When I use it for FSX I really only have maybe less than 10 commands actually mapped to the stick.

If i was a DCS A10 fan then this stick would be a non brainer, besides, I think one actually NEED this stick to fly the A10 effectively, an ordinary stick with 10 buttons just don't cut it.

But I don't fly the A10, and I feel that it would be an overkill for my normal fsx flying, yes all the buttons and sliders can be put to use with fsuipc, however, when it comes to that, I believe a MCP and a $30 Thrustmaster t16000m (same hall effect sensors, long travel on x and y axis, great feel for the money) is a better investment at a similar cost..