Sign in to follow this  
TOX

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog: to buy or not buy, info wanted pls

I trust your advice Howard thank you for your help.

Also what is your final mappings for the warty? cause in your video review you had quite a few of them un-assigned left out you said.

Do you have the mappings on paper so we can see the general layout, can save us new users the trivia of mapping this great unit.

Regards

TOX

I trust your advice Howard thank you for your help.

Also what is your final mappings for the warty? cause in your video review you had quite a few of them un-assigned left out you said.

Do you have the mappings on paper so we can see the general layout, can save us new users the trivia of mapping this great unit.

Regards

TOX

I have all my assignments through LINDA and the actual throttle slders and stick configured via FSUIPC. I think you'll find doing it that way it is a lot easier than using the setup disc. I simply gave up trying to understand it after half an hour, LINDA is so much simpler. As for a general layout, it won't make a lot of difference seeing what I have, as you can assign any switch to anything you want. I'm building a new simpit over the next few weeks and also installing a Vrinsight MCP panel, so I will probably be having a change around for all my assignments. I'll post some pics when it's all up and running too...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have all my assignments through LINDA and the actual throttle slders and stick configured via FSUIPC. I think you'll find doing it that way it is a lot easier than using the setup disc. I simply gave up trying to understand it after half an hour, LINDA is so much simpler. As for a general layout, it won't make a lot of difference seeing what I have, as you can assign any switch to anything you want. I'm building a new simpit over the next few weeks and also installing a Vrinsight MCP panel, so I will probably be having a change around for all my assignments. I'll post some pics when it's all up and running too...

Like Howard, I have the buttons on the Warthog configured via LINDA, the throttles and flaps via FSUIPC. I use the very large grey slider on the far right edge of the throttle quadrant for flaps. I calibrated it with enough positions to give me flaps 0, 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40 if I remember correctly. In FSUIPC you can set up 8 positions for the flaps lever to match the number of actual detents on the flaps console lever. I have a label printer, and was actually able to print a calibrated paper-adhesive label to place at the right edge of the Warty Throttle Box - so I can know precisely how far to pull/push the grey lever bar to set the desired flaps. On the NGX this is golden!

The throttle calibration is a little bit twitchy - you have to untick a checkbox that would make the reversers come on at the bottom of the throttle axis.

In the Warty, the throttles have a stop-detent position at the bottom, you LIFT UP then pull further back, and you can assign THAT action within Linda to engage the reversers. Works great. You set a dead zone at both the top AND bottom of the throttles to make sure the engines spool down to IDLE when you have the throttles at bottom (but before you LIFT UP and pull further back for reversers). As you approach touchdown, during the flare, I typically pull the throttles back to IDLE and let the airplane settle to the runway - then once touching the ground, I push the nose down while engaging the reverse thrusters.

I concur with Howard's point that the WARTY software (F.A.S.T.) is painful and convoluted and nowhere near as customizable as the combination of LINDA and FSUIPC.

By the way, Congratulations to Howard on his new VRinsight MCP Combo II (I presume it may be Boeing?)

You'll really love it!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Congratulations to Howard on his new VRinsight MCP Combo II (I presume it may be Boeing?)

You'll really love it!

Thanks Robert, yeah, can't wait to get it set up. We're in the throws of moving house at the moment, but as soon as we're in situ, I'll be setting up my new toy...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Thanks Robert, yeah, can't wait to get it set up. We're in the throws of moving house at the moment, but as soon as we're in situ, I'll be setting up my new toy...

You'll love life once you get that MCP Combo II installed. I'm sure you already know:

• VRInsight gear requires (supplied by VRi) their DC adapter, do not rely on PC USB port for power to drive the VRi devices
  • VRInsight gear has new drivers and newest version of VRiSim.exe available only by download- the drivers/software they ship with the product are outdated and hog CPU priority! The new drivers/software (November 20, 2012) do not have that problem- click here to obtain them from the VRi developer's website.
  • VRInsight hardware requires each piece be plugged directly into a USB 2.0 port on your PC, never a powered hub, never a USB 3.0 port. If you run short of USB 2.0 ports, you can purchase hardware cards to plug into your motherboard to add more ports. Again, as I said earlier, you MUST use the VRI power adapter that ships with the product. The USB bus on your PC does not provide enough juice.
  • I highly recommend using LINDA to run the MCP Combo II - as opposed to the VRInsight VRiSim.exe software. I use VRiSim to run the 737OVHD Panel and the CDU-II FMC. I use LINDA to drive the MCP Combo II.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

You can use VRi hardware with USB3 ports just fine, it's just that some of the first motherboards to support USB3 weren't actually using native USB3 hardware and they aren't 100% reliable. If you have problems using a USB3 port then change to a USB2 port i.e. one that doesn't have a blue socket.

The same goes for hubs, you can try them and if you do make sure it's a powered hub, but if you have problems then use a port on the motherboard instead.

By the way the MCP2 Boeing and Airbus panels won't work at all if you don't use the supplied power supplies, they don't draw power from the USB cables as far as I understand it.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks a bunch Robert and Andy, some good advice. No doubt I'll be tapping you both up for some more in the near future ... :rolleyes:

Howard

Thanks a bunch Robert and Andy, some good advice. No doubt I'll be tapping you both up for some more in the near future ... :rolleyes:

You're welcome, Howard. Andy is really a wonderful resource for VRi- he moderates the VRi forums and knows more about their stuff than you could ever imagine! I love their products! They just updated their software as I mentioned, the key is to get their latest drivers and software which are on the link I mentioned in a prior post in this thread. Also you should join their support forum (free) so you will have access to their knowledge base, which is sorted by each product they offer. Cheers!

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

I cant find the exact measures for the t.h.warthog anywhere on the web, can someone be a gent and give me the height measurements for the warthog control stick? so i can compare to my joystick and to see if it will be any comfy to use in height wise.

And if pos. can i have the thruster and control sticks general sizes as well in Height - Width - Depth, I want to see how much space it will take up on my desk.

Robert and Howard, i read every post you guys make on the warty and really enjoy the details you write. It helps us a lot.

thanks and

You're welcome, Howard. Andy is really a wonderful resource for VRi- he moderates the VRi forums and knows more about their stuff than you could ever imagine! I love their products! They just updated their software as I mentioned, the key is to get their latest drivers and software which are on the link I mentioned in a prior post in this thread. Also you should join their support forum (free) so you will have access to their knowledge base, which is sorted by each product they offer. Cheers!

Cheers Robert, sure, I've had the pleasure of Andy's experience over at the forum before. It's nice to know there's someone you can call on when the going gets tough :biggrin:

I cant find the exact measures for the t.h.warthog anywhere on the web, can someone be a gent and give me the height measurements for the warthog control stick? so i can compare to my joystick and to see if it will be any comfy to use in height wise.

And if pos. can i have the thruster and control sticks general sizes as well in Height - Width - Depth, I want to see how much space it will take up on my desk.

Robert and Howard, i read every post you guys make on the warty and really enjoy the details you write. It helps us a lot.

thanks and

HOTAS Throttle:

8" Tall with throttles in the middle and with base

Throttle base

10.75" L (9.5625" if the base plate is removed.)

6" W

2.0625" H (only the base, excluding the switches and throttles.)

HOTAS Joystick:

11.125 Tall with base

The units are quite high, but I have mine actually embedded into my cockpit...

Howard

HOTAS Throttle:

8" Tall with throttles in the middle and with base

Throttle base

10.75" L (9.5625" if the base plate is removed.)

6" W

2.0625" H (only the base, excluding the switches and throttles.)

HOTAS Joystick:

11.125 Tall with base

The units are quite high, but I have mine actually embedded into my cockpit...

Thanks for the fast reply Howard...

Howard, I didnt know about this . It looks very interesting indeed

edit

I use helios for DCS but is there a similar type software for fsx?

ZORAN

Howard, I didnt know about this . It looks very interesting indeed

edit

I use helios for DCS but is there a similar type software for fsx?

Sure Zoran, I have just received delivery of the very same, well it's the MCP Boeing type to be correct, ready for installation into a new cockpit/pit build that I'm working on.

I use helios for DCS but is there a similar type of software for fsx? if you are talking about a generic method of assigning buttons and switches, then sure, LINDA. But beyond that I'm unsure

Howard

Sure Zoran, I have just received delivery of the very same, well it's the MCP Boeing type to be correct, ready for installation into a new cockpit/pit build that I'm working on.

I use helios for DCS but is there a similar type of software for fsx? if you are talking about a generic method of assigning buttons and switches, then sure, LINDA. But beyond that I'm unsure

I found what I needed here,amazed its free, will make a donation to them

http://www.thegaugesfactory.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=25

what exactly does LINDA do?

ZORAN

what exactly does LINDA do?

LINDA, which is freeware/donation, is an application that allows the full assignment of functions to controllers and switch panels to all FSX default aircraft. In addition it also allows the same for selected third party addon aircraft, many of which can use the default assignments profile. Some that can't have their own specific profile that has been written by Guenter, the developer. Amongst others, these also include aircraft like the NGX and Realair Lancair. LINDA has also had a specific script written for running the Vrinsight MCP panel. I would suggest getting a copy of LINDA Zoran, as it is a very useful bit of kit and a lot easier than some of the software that is included with some controllers.

Howard