Sign in to follow this  
TOX

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog: to buy or not buy, info wanted pls

Rockliffe,

I wanted to ask you. Do you still have the link for the Springs you got your your Warthog? I really could use a heavier feel in my Warthog, would be perfect, just a little bit more, the Big Spring is gone for good.

Alexis Mefano

Rockliffe,

I wanted to ask you. Do you still have the link for the Springs you got your your Warthog? I really could use a heavier feel in my Warthog, would be perfect, just a little bit more, the Big Spring is gone for good.

Hi Alexis, I'm pretty certain it was this set that I purchased on Ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150pc-SPRING-ASSORTMENT-KIT-WIDE-SELECTION-OF-EXTENDED-COMPRESSED-SPRINGS-/200807136233?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ec109bbe9 They were pretty cheap so I was prepared to take the risk that there might be no suitable springs in the box, but I did find just four that did the trick. Remember though, it is VERY important that the springs are the same thickness (or almost) when compressed as the originals, otherwise they will reduce the amount of vertical movement the main shaft can make, in turn affecting the amount of full movement for the elevator and ailerons. It's worth just spending a couple of minutes once you have removed the main spring, just to see how the Warty actually functions internally, discovering how it works and not just why it works :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Does anybody know where I can buy the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog at a good price?

A link would be nice if poss... :rolleyes:

Thx.

Does anybody know where I can buy the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog at a good price?

A link would be nice if poss... :rolleyes:

Thx.

I got mine originally off Amazon.co.uk believe it or not for £265!!! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00371R8P4/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1354042704&sr=8-1&condition=new unsure how much to send to Cyprus though. Flightstore are a good company, with a good price too by the looks of things http://www.flightstore.co.uk/flight-simulation-c8/thrustmaster-hotas-warthog-flight-stick-p2438

Howard you seem pretty tech savy. Im thinking of buying this multi function M panel from Vrinsight 150 euros

what are your thoughts on it, mainly for smaller general aviation stuff. It looks impressive

http://www.vrinsight...eComp&sSubNo=10

Tech savvy? :lol: I wish... nah, just keen. Sure, I'm unfamiliar with that particular product, but as far as things go, all Vrinsight is well put together with all metal constructon, which is refreshing. I have the Vrinsight tact and toggle switch panel, which is great for assigning lots of different functions, with rocker and toggle switches and a set of neat push buttons which are useful for different AP assignments. I guess it's just about getting the bit of kit that best suits your needs at the end of the day...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Thanks Howard!

There's a lot of Springs in that package!! 150 of them actually. That's not going to be easy to ship to Brazil at all. Plus my Warthog has a Stuck Screw that I don't know if I'll ever be able to open it again. Maybe I'll just leave it as it is, isn't so bad.

Alexis Mefano

Hi Guys,

This is a great joystick, but unfortunately I have lost time for use, to justify owning this beast. I thought it would be a good idea to post here about my having to sell my joystick, as this forum is the place I looked to when originally deciding to buying it.

I regret having to sell it, but unfortunately time is not on my side these days!

So, If there are any Aussies interested in purchasing a Used-Mint Condition Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, please check my ad on Gumtree. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/engadine/accessories/thrustmaster-hotas-warthog-joystick-and-throttle/1010203828

Joel

Ok. I need to chime in here.

I read most of the posts and well, they're great. I am a fan of my X52. I am also looking for something better. I have looked close up at the Pig. Looks great again if your thing is fighter games. The thing that is the most disapointing for me with ALL of these great gee whiz sticks is that they are BACKWARDS. I happen to have an hour or two of RW flying under my belt and as we are all simmers we are almost all Captains right? Well what Captain flies from the right seat? In other words the throttles are shapped molded etc for left hand use which is how the right seater operates. Yet we are all seated in our left seats in our Virtual Airliners, those of us who fly strictly commercial aircraft that is. :) Sorry it is hard for me to get past that. As nice and shiney and well put together as the Warthog is, it is geared for flying just that, an A10 or other single pilot fighter.

So for me the expense will just get me a better X52. Now that I am becoming almost a PHD in FSUIPC I have gone back to using my keyboard for a lot of switchology I dont have room for on my X52. (If you use the combo key presses and releases you can call up two pop up screens for the price of one throw of a switch effectively allowing you to use many more switches in case you are new to FSUIPC paid version). So that being said, as long as I am going to be flying left seat backwards throttles LOL, I may as well save my money and hang on to my old X52 rather than buy the Warthog as NICE as it it looks and thanks ROCKLIFF for such an EXCELLENT video.

QUESTION Is or are there ANY good yokes out there with decent (JET) style power levers and quadrants. Every PC store or magazine I pick up has throttle quadrants and yokes that do not make it past a Piper Navajo? It is silly to me to be flying a 747 Heavy and have my left throttles be 1 and 2, my prop controls be 3 and 4 etc on and on. Ugh.

I am really not a fighter guy otherwise Id be all over the Warthog.

Left Seater looking for Left Seater yoke and levers. Thanks guys!

:)

Respectfully,

Jet

They're not backwards. They're exactly like the real world counterparts. Unfortunately what's good for a attack aircraft isn't good for an airbus etc.

• Upvote 1

I read most of the posts and well, they're great. I am a fan of my X52. I am also looking for something better. I have looked close up at the Pig. Looks great again if your thing is fighter games. The thing that is the most disapointing for me with ALL of these great gee whiz sticks is that they are BACKWARDS. I happen to have an hour or two of RW flying under my belt and as we are all simmers we are almost all Captains right? Well what Captain flies from the right seat? In other words the throttles are shapped molded etc for left hand use which is how the right seater operates. Yet we are all seated in our left seats in our Virtual Airliners, those of us who fly strictly commercial aircraft that is. :) Sorry it is hard for me to get past that. As nice and shiney and well put together as the Warthog is, it is geared for flying just that, an A10 or other single pilot fighter.

So for me the expense will just get me a better X52. Now that I am becoming almost a PHD in FSUIPC I have gone back to using my keyboard for a lot of switchology I dont have room for on my X52. (If you use the combo key presses and releases you can call up two pop up screens for the price of one throw of a switch effectively allowing you to use many more switches in case you are new to FSUIPC paid version). So that being said, as long as I am going to be flying left seat backwards throttles LOL, I may as well save my money and hang on to my old X52 rather than buy the Warthog as NICE as it it looks and thanks ROCKLIFF for such an EXCELLENT video.

QUESTION Is or are there ANY good yokes out there with decent (JET) style power levers and quadrants. Every PC store or magazine I pick up has throttle quadrants and yokes that do not make it past a Piper Navajo? It is silly to me to be flying a 747 Heavy and have my left throttles be 1 and 2, my prop controls be 3 and 4 etc on and on. Ugh.

http://www.goflighti...rottle-quadrant

this was on special all week $450 and now they are back to full price again. Its pricey and its just a throttle but your x52 would do fine as a stick

ZORAN

Hey Jet, I have had so many online chats with guys about how some can't accept that it's unrealisitc to fly the NGX with the Warty. Guys like you who also ask why is the throttle on the left, blah, blah. BUT unless you're only going to fly one particular type of aircraft, then it will ALWAYS be a compromise, it can't be anything else. Unless you have a yoke and a stick, but then what happens when you fly a stick based aircraft where most of the throttles are on the right? What happens when you only have a yoke and you want to fly the Airbus? or you want to fly the A2A Cub and you only have a yoke? Most of us have limited resources and so have to make some kind of compromise. Before buying the Warty, I deliberated for weeks on end about whether I should have a yoke like the Saitek or the CH and then perhaps switch over to a cheaper Stick, that way I could afford both. But I decided it would simply be a compromise on quality, and that I was unprepared to do. BTW, you say you're not a fighter guy, well I agree, neither am I. In fact I bought a couple of fighter planes, but uninstalled them almost immediately. At the end of the day, you don't spend time staring down at your controller trying to decide whether it looks realistic, what I'm constantly aware of is the feel of the stick and throttle. The wonderful feel of the alloy in my hands and the smooth, rock solid feel of the throttle as you increase it on the roll down the runway. That combined with so many functions at your fingertips makes the Warty, for me, a no brainer.

• Upvote 2

Howard

It's far more realistic to fly a Boeing with a Pro Level Joystick than with a Toy-Like Yoke, That's for sure!! Believe me, a real Airplane control has NOTHING to do with that crappy Yokes make out of Plastic you can buy at any PC Store. If you want a Yoke to compare to Warthog, it's going to be a 600 Dollar Yoke, even more, no Plastic stuff, there's just no comparison.

• Upvote 1

Alexis Mefano

:P

Hey Jet, I have had so many online chats with guys about how some can't accept that it's unrealisitc to fly the NGX with the Warty. Guys like you who also ask why is the throttle on the left, blah, blah. BUT unless you're only going to fly one particular type of aircraft, then it will ALWAYS be a compromise, it can't be anything else. Unless you have a yoke and a stick, but then what happens when you fly a stick based aircraft where most of the throttles are on the right? What happens when you only have a yoke and you want to fly the Airbus? or you want to fly the A2A Cub and you only have a yoke? Most of us have limited resources and so have to make some kind of compromise. Before buying the Warty, I deliberated for weeks on end about whether I should have a yoke like the Saitek or the CH and then perhaps switch over to a cheaper Stick, that way I could afford both. But I decided it would simply be a compromise on quality, and that I was unprepared to do. BTW, you say you're not a fighter guy, well I agree, neither am I. In fact I bought a couple of fighter planes, but uninstalled them almost immediately. At the end of the day, you don't spend time staring down at your controller trying to decide whether it looks realistic, what I'm constantly aware of is the feel of the stick and throttle. The wonderful feel of the alloy in my hands and the smooth, rock solid feel of the throttle as you increase it on the roll down the runway. That combined with so many functions at your fingertips makes the Warty, for me, a no brainer.

Oh I hear you Rock, I am just dissapointed they dont make a nice yoke like they did with the Warty. It looks like a nice piece of equipment for sure and I may go get one. I just wish they would make a yoke in the same manner EVEN IF the yoke had to be a little gamey.

Respectfully,

Jet

I got mine originally off Amazon.co.uk believe it or not for £265!!! http://www.amazon.co...1&condition=new unsure how much to send to Cyprus though. Flightstore are a good company, with a good price too by the looks of things http://www.flightsto...ght-stick-p2438

Tech savvy? :lol: I wish... nah, just keen. Sure, I'm unfamiliar with that particular product, but as far as things go, all Vrinsight is well put together with all metal constructon, which is refreshing. I have the Vrinsight tact and toggle switch panel, which is great for assigning lots of different functions, with rocker and toggle switches and a set of neat push buttons which are useful for different AP assignments. I guess it's just about getting the bit of kit that best suits your needs at the end of the day...

I bought the multipanel, Are you aware that vrinsight are not pmdg compatible? I thought I saw somewhere you were 737 flyer

ZORAN