Sign in to follow this  
TOX

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog: to buy or not buy, info wanted pls

Hiya Howard

Funny you should say that, I learned my lesson the hard way with Saitek... I dare not install the thrustmaster software, only the drivers/firmware thingy to try to unlock it.

I haven't even tried to use it with FSX yet as it wont even install to windows due to the stick being stuck in this [bOOT] mode..

The throttle seems ok, its just the stick..

I do have FSUIPC, fully paid up member of that club :-)

Was hoping to use FSUIPC to program the entire lot, stick and switches?

ok, I give up... 12hrs, dozens of re-installs on 3 different computers and the firmware still will not update the Joystick... :Cry:

Richard, have you tried a warty support ticket? in the mean time would make a good door stop.

kidding...

ZORAN

There's a .pdf guide on how to reload the firmware on the Thrustmaster site...which appears to be down right now. Look for a file named "thr_eng_00140.pdf" or send me a PM with your e-mail addy and I'll send it to you.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Richard, I don't remember updating any firmware. Are you saying that Windows will not recognise it as a USB device? As for FSUIPC, sure, you can use it to assign everything, but with LINDA there is a specific NGX profile that the dev, Guenter, has created. The other thing is that IMO I find LINDA a walk in the park to assign buttons to compared to FSUIPC...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Indeed. When I first got it out the box, read all the instructions I downloaded from TM, and it states you should install the drivers, which I did, plugged in both units, they both showed up in the Windows Device Manager exactly as shown in the PDF, but wouldnt show up in the game controllers box, thus cant use or calibrate them or even check them...

So, The instructions for the drivers then also say to update the firmware, so I followed those, to the letter, and the throttle went from "Bulk" to just throttle, and then showed up in the game controller box, allowing me to calibrate it, test all the switches, levers etc, so I was chuffed, 1 down, 1 to go, that was super easy...

Tried the Joystick and got the screenshot I showed you...

Seems I have to update the firmware due to both units arriving in that status of "[bOOT]" as if they had just been reset.. It looks like that last step of the firmware flashing is what unlocks the device, because I found and tried the old firmware, same thing happened, it flashed it just fine, but didn't finish, so I flashed it back to the newest firmware...

Windows recognises it, no problem, but the joysticks "State" is not seemingly recognised due to it being partially flashed (If that's the right way to put it)

This is gutting, its like taking delivery of your very own Ferrari that wont start...

I'll see if I can get a support ticket into their site today, if/when their website comes back online and then just use the hotas to stop burglars if need be...

Did you try resetting the bootloader (i.e. plugging it into the USB slot with the trigger and weapons release button pressed to install the bulk driver etc)? That's the procedure described in the document I mentioned above--basically you run the 2011_TMHW_1 installer with the controller disconnected, reboot after that's complete, then plug the joystick in with the trigger and weapons buttons held down until the device is detected (for the throttle quad it's the same procedure except you hold down the A/P engage and Landing Gear Horn Silence buttons while plugging it into the USB port). After the bulk driver is loaded you run the firmware flash as you have already tried. The instructions say it's normal for the device not to appear in the game controllers menu while it's in the boot state.

It sounds like you're trying to reflash it repeatedly without resetting the boot loader.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi Bob

Sadly, yes, I did try that, every time, unplugged, held the trigger and the red button down, as shown in the pdf, plugged it in, waited until driver installed successfully then tried to re-flash it.

To rule out my PC, which is overclocked, I also tried the exact same procedure on my Factory standard Dell laptop, and the wifes old Dell PC, all with the exact same results..

Am out of ideas now..

Hi Bob

Sadly, yes, I did try that, every time, unplugged, held the trigger and the red button down, as shown in the pdf, plugged it in, waited until driver installed successfully then tried to re-flash it.

To rule out my PC, which is overclocked, I also tried the exact same procedure on my Factory standard Dell laptop, and the wifes old Dell PC, all with the exact same results..

Am out of ideas now..

Might be a stuck switch I suppose...but in any event, sounds like the stick needs to make a trip back to ThrustMaster. Bummer. Let us know how they take care of you.

Regards

Bummer. Let us know how they take care of you.

I was fearing that :Cry: I don't wanna send back my new Ferrari :Cry: :Cry: :Cry:

Luckily, I bought it via Amazon, for this exact reason, hassle free service if it goes wrong.. I'll try thrustmaster first though, if their website comes back up..

The X52 Pro ran off to hide in the corner, cowering since this thing came out of the box :LMAO:

Received mine last week.

Awesome build quality.

The throttle alone is almost worth the AU$500 I paid.

Recognised by P3D no problems yet without installing any firmware updates.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hey Guys

So today I rang Thrustmaster, and told the guy all about this, and he mentioned something which I'd love to check with other Warthog owners..

He said the DIN plug on mine "might" be pushed in, thus not making contact properly, and asked me to send him a picture of it...

Does this look anything like yours:

It looks like the receptical for the DIN plug has sunk into the base by almost the same length as the din plug itself...

Yup he is right the black socket should be more or less flush with the top of the hole its currently sitting in.

Cheers, Andy.

So they sent me an email back already, showing me what its "meant to look like" and told me to try to re-seat it and to unscrew the top, but the silver fixing came away from the din socket...

Looks like I'm going to have to fix this myself it seems... Superglue/hot-glue gun at the ready then...

Step 1, re-attach the silver plate to the black din socket..

Step 2, hot glue the inside of the opening to re-seat the entire lot back down inside

Fingers crossed..

Darn it Richard, that is a bloody poor show for such an expensive item. I am amazed that Thrustmaster didn't take responsibility of this issue and fly a new one out to you without question! When you're paying for a top quality product like the Warthog, you expect everything to be perfect. I am sad, as I am always extolling the qualities of the Warthog.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776