Sign in to follow this  
TOX

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog: to buy or not buy, info wanted pls

It can be done. here is a profile for the $40 logi extreme with the HOTAS buttons on the stick

Button 1 = Cannon

Button 2 = Weapon Release

Button 3 = Nvgs

Button 5 = NWS

Button 4 or 6 = China Hat

Edit:- to make it clearer, Buttons 7-12 are on the base of the Joystick, 1-6 are on the stick.

Hat = Slew

Button 7 + Hat = Trim

Button 8 + Hat = Coolie Hat

Button 9 + Hat = DMS

Button 10 + Hat = TMS

Button 12 + Hat = CMS

Button 7 + Button 2 = Master Mode cycle

Button 7 + Button 3 or 4 = Zoom

Button 7 + Button 5 or 6 = Speed Brakes

Button 8 + Button 4 = Autopilot

Button 8 + Button 3 or 5 = Boat Switch

Button 9 + Button 3, 5 or 6 = Pinkie switch

Button 10 + Button 3, 5 or 6 = Mic Switch

Button 12 + Button 2 = CMS Z-axis

This is from memory so I may have left one or two things out.

ZORAN

To add my 2 penneth.

The thing you'll immediately notice is the precision the stick is capable of. Like an earlier poster mentioned if you're mainly flying heavy aircraft you probably won't appreciate the difference. How long does one actually spend flying hands on when you have a full authority autopilot!

But if you are flying aerobatics, military aircraft or anything a bit twitchy you'll immediately notice the difference.

The other important thing to note is the quality of the controller. It's all metal construction and realistic switches do go a long way to add to the immersion.

I have a g940 and a saitek yoke. I'd use the yoke for airliners but for everything else the warthog's the girl for me.

If you're flying airliners of something with lots of button/screen manipulation i'd spend the money on a touchscreen but if you want the best looking tactile controller, get the warthog.

Very informative! Thanks for the great insight!

I play Battlefield 3 and fly jets every now and then. (I'm a lvl 38 Colonel but I've only recently started training w the jets. I know..shame on me.) And I play FSX. So really I'm stuck with whether to spend the money on this HOTAS.

I'm more of a tactile person so touch screen controls wouldn't be a way to go for me. +1 for the Warthog.

I'd be using it for bother FSX and BF3 so getting this would serve both BF3 for control-sensitive dog fights and less control-sensitive FSX when I fly airliners. +1 for the Warthog once again.

The only major problem for me as of now is the price. Its cost is within the $600 range here in Singapore.

Sorry to steal readers but, do check out my new thread in slight relevance to this! In need of recommendations and opinions. :)

Cheers!

Jay

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

look at it like this, $600 gets you a lot of ORBX scenery :-)

imagine the HOTAS use as a curved chart. It flat lines across FSX jets and increases with dog fights before going vertical with the A10 warthog.

ZORAN

Orbx?

Please. If the warthog flat lines fsx idk what to think of my attack 3 joystick by Logitech hahah

Hi guys,

I would like to Thank You for your great feedbacks on this post.

I think a lot of flight sim players will benefit from posts like this, because when it comes down to picking the right flight control stick, money and other experienced pilots thoughts really helps people like me, so please keep your comments on T.H.Warthog joystick coming in, your thoughts are like gold mine.

I want to be able to use my new flight stick in FSX but the occasional fighter jets + helicopters will be on my list too.

In the meantime i am researching my options between the THW stick and my bank account. )

Thanks and wish you all safe flights and landings.

Kind Regards.

TOX

Orbx?

Please. If the warthog flat lines fsx idk what to think of my attack 3 joystick by Logitech hahah

your chart is here

<--------------------------------------------------> lol

I as my post says "jets" in fsx. 90% is flown on autopilot and can autoland PMDG so a control device is needed to climb to 500feet

2 paddle pop sticks configured properly could do that successfully :-)

ZORAN

your chart is here

<--------------------------------------------------> lol

I as my post says "jets" in fsx. 90% is flown on autopilot and can autoland PMDG so a control device is needed to climb to 500feet

2 paddle pop sticks configured properly could do that successfully :-)

I don't see any chart.. Haha is it because I'm reading on my Blackberry?

What do you mean by "can autoland PMDG"?

I thought PMDG is a company that makes detailed FS aircrafts? Would be great if you can elaborate a little more for my 'newbie' brains? :/

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Koosh the flatline is your chart it means your stick is down there with earth worms :-)

The PMDG 737 is a stunning add on for fsx. Its a simulation that requires a lot of study however when mastered you can indeed fly a full auto landing

ZORAN

Haha indeed..I need a better joystick asap! Thinking of getting a Saitek x52. Then I saw x65f and I thought it looks beautiful. Then I saw the Warthog and I told myself okay this is the one!

But my wallet tells me otherwise hahah.. ):

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk!

Thank you for your helpful answers and links guys, much appreciated.

I want to be able to use this stick with FSX airplanes, helicopters and of course will play a10 warthog too for some extra fast action.

I have to spend my hard earned cash on a system that i use more than it sits on my desk, this is the reason i need help on deciding.

I can also buy the saitek x52 pro but i like the metal gear + switches on T.H.warthog more, what do you guys think of the 2 sticks differences ?

x52 pro costs 200 euros - T.H.warthog costs 400 euros. These are cyprus prices.

I want to strongly second the opinion that the Thrustmaster Warthog controller pair is worth every penny. Built rugged and heavy-duty, you can instantly feel the quality when you unbox it. It is one of the most important and rewarding purchases I've made to date.

Search around here on AVSIM you can find the LINDA configuration button/lever assignment tool (FREE). I posted some screen shots showing how I have assigned various buttons and switches on the Warthog. The actual throttles and reverse thrusters, along with the flaps are all assigned via FSUIPC.

The throttles can be operated independently from each other, so if you're taxiing a 2-engine jet, realism jumps up considerably.

Yes, in a perfect world we would buy the PFC (Precision Flight Controls of Sacramento, Calif) full-on Boeing Yoke. But that floor-standing yoke is a monster, and may be too big for the average enthusiast's desk space.

I have had the TM Warthog for over a year, fly it nearly daily on PMDG 737NGX, and no other airplane, and LOVE IT.

Did I mention it uses HALL EFFECT SENSORS? Those are MAGNETIC sensors built into the throttles for precision control

I have 2 words for you about the Warthog:

BUY IT.

;)

For my own part, I have NEVER used the Thrustmaster programmable F.A.S.T. software to control my warthog. Linda and FSUIPC work perfectly for my needs. Makes flying the NGX a dream, and yes, I know the NGX RW has a YOKE not a JOYSTICK. But compared to what some folks have purchased for Joystick/Throttle controls, I believe this kit is superior in every regard. The fellow who likened it to a Ferrari was spot-on. The other products just don't compare, unless you're looking very top-end at yokes that cost double what this set does. And those yokes (the floor standing ones) do NOT include THROTTLE QUADRANTS, so there is even more money coming out of pocket. This product has rewarded me on every flight. All those buttons and toggle switches are just gravy. I just can't say enough about this product. AMAZING.

• Upvote 1

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

So I don't become too much of a bore, 'cos most guys know my opinion on the Warty, I can only completely agree with what Robert has said. Sure, it may not be realsitic to fly the NGX with a stick but how realistic is it to fly all your other stick based aircraft with a yoke?! It's about compromise, and when I had to make that yoke vs stick decision, it wasn't easy, but I am so pleased I got my hands on the Warthog.

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Thanks for your comments Robert and Rockliffe

I think a lot of flight sim players will benefit from posts like this, because when it comes down to picking the right flight control stick, money and other experienced pilots thoughts really helps people like me.

I am reading stuff about the t.h.warthogs joystick that it has some kind of sticking problems and bumps as you move it and the grease needs to be replaced, someone told me the sticks parts in the base unit are made of plastic and it snapped so i was warned about these 2 issues.