Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

Help for a dx10 noob at class 101 level please

Hi all

looking for a bit of help here after reading through the threads on using dx10 .

Since I got my new spec pc and running dx9 very happily for the last few months I thought I had got the best it was going to get as I had all my sliders over to the right hand side for pretty much eveyrthing. and I was getting 20-30 fps at EGLLusing uk2000 extreme, ngx and rex essentials. no stuttering etc.Having read whats been written here on dx 10 I thought this is for me :O

So I have followed Paul J's excellent dx10 doc and have installed dx10 as per document but now I have a fair number of questions due to the fact I've no idea about tweaking beyond changing the setting in the various cfg's verbatum

I understand at a very basic level what antialiasing and antiscopic filtering does but when it comes to know what I'm looking for in fsx with each change I'm not sure.

Also I've had nvidia inspector installed for a while but I don't know if I am using it correctly ie do I have to have it running first before starting fsx,does it have to be in the fsx folder or does it just work because I'm using an nvidia card?

I must be getting part of it right as fsx runs in dx10 but I do have issues and although i'm more than happy to fiddle I don't know what effects I'm really having behind the scenes or what bits to change specifically.

I tried after it was installed late last night a quick flight from EGLL to EGLC using uk2000 exteme airport scenery for both airports, and flying an fsx stock 172 cessna over London, using the stock fsx scenery for London (didn't know it had so many trees) and what I found was that I did get my 30fps at EGLL and EGLC no problem no stuttering but what I did get inside the cockpit the sunlight shadows as the aicraft turned had quite a few jagged edges also there was an awful lot of tree updates as it flew along which I assume is autogen but have no idea if this is the case.

When I moved to the spot view I also noticed that the colour of the elevators flickered every so often from lime green to almost yellow for a brief second..

The only things that I have different that I can see from the how to doc is that my fftf is set at .17 I don't have lod in the cfg file what does this do and my bufferpools are set higher, cant give you a specific number as i'm writing this epic from my work and not on my home pc I also have rex essential but I've not tested it yet

any help would be grately appreciated especially if you read this Paul J as your rig is almost identical to mine,but all help would be thankful

Pete Little

Welcome, Pete; We'll try to help, as there are several areas that almost 'must' be adhered to, if you're to get it working without having niggling problems. Some part of it depends, too, on how 'picky' your own personality is: what you can live with, and so on. If you've been simming for a few years, and make regular use of the forums, you know there are folks that will not use any AI traffic but "Flight 1's UT2": others swear by "MyTraffic5.4a": ther are folks that only fly GA.., so bear that in mind as you look for ways to improve the DX10 experience, OK!

I've had nvidia inspector installed for a while but I don't know if I am using it correctly ie do I have to have it running first before starting fsx,does it have to be in the fsx folder or does it just work because I'm using an nvidia card?

Nvidia "Inspector" replaces the Nvidia Control Panel, and is the way that we control the Nvidia driver. You can install it wherever you like, and once installed - it will always be running in the background. You will not see it, except when you want to change it's settings, so - launch it's config interface, select the MS Flight Simulator X and set it up exactly as per the first recommended settings here. Your rig will handle the 8x SGSS, but for any lesser machine I would suggest lowering the 8xSGSS down to 4xSGSS. You won't notice a difference, and you will pick up some frames. I use that lower setting.

I did get inside the cockpit the sunlight shadows as the aicraft turned had quite a few jagged edges
- Need a screenshot. Steve's 'fix' contains code to prevent jagged edges in shadows. Did you delete the Shaders10 cache directory in your C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ ?
My fftf is set at .17 I don't have lod in the cfg file what does this do and my bufferpools are set higher
Your FFTF can go down to 0.1 - even .08, if you wish - mine is at 0.1 - this depends on the power/speed of your system to paint new screens.

LOD - under Terrain.... it should be ther, under "Terrain". if it's not there put it in, as per below. It is the viewing distance, where you can see individual houses, buildings, etc., with some degree of clarity. Many people use settings which are higher than this, but 4.5 is the 'High" setting, set within the FSX user interface. You can push this higher than 4.5 inside the fsx.cfg, by just changing that number to 5, 5.5, 6.5, or whatever number you wish.

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

BufferPools. As I've recently learned - DX10 does not replicate the GPU's memory space into the system memory, effectively cutting out the overhead related to managing that, and effectively giving the system more memory - and with that better performance. This is where we get the performance gain that everyone sees. In my testing - a BP=1 will cause artifacting, as I believe that the 580 can now be swamped. With DX9 - it was the ideal card to match a 2600k at high clocks - but not so with DX10. So - BP=1, with an RT. Honestly - you can try lots of numbers, but I've not found a significant difference in the performance of FSX. One can run FSX/DX10 with a basic config, and still equal the performance of DX9: When used with BP set, TBM at 80 or higher, and a couple of other settings, you can push most of your sliders to max. Personally I don't do this, as I want a reserve to handle Seattle, London, New York, etc.,, as those places can still bring FSX to a crawl.

Here are my current Inspector (I think - final), the fsx.cfg (renamed vfr.cfg) and some pics from last night:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sxj4aiyfvl80w8o/VIpZ5h9CgH

I hope this all helps!

All the Best

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Many thanks Paul I'm going to play about some more I tend to fly comercial jets most of the time Ihave moved the auto gen scenery and scenery complexity down a bit to see if i can get rid of trees growing as i fly looks very unconvincing as the scenery is contiually adding scenery which it never did in dx9 I've added a picture of the jaggy shadow am going to play a bit more I have some differences in my config to Paul J but as our rigs are quite similari'm going to play around with mine based on his but any other help would be appreciated.

Edited by firehawk44
Photo deleted - Exceeds size (1600W - yours 1920; 400KB - yours 835KB)

Pete Little

ok I've played around albeit briefly and overall am quite happy as i've now put rex essential in and am happy with the fps for me . What I really want to sort out is the way the scenery loads.If you can excuse the round about way I'm asking as I don't know exactly what needs to be changed I suspect its the autogen and scenery complexity. but here goes.

With dx 9 I had the sliders at max for both scenery complexity and autogen and the other bars where lod large,mesh complexity 100,mesh resolution 2m,texture resolution 7cm, water effects 2.x and land detail textures ticked.

With these settings there was no apparent continual loading of the scenery as I moved towards it with all a/c

Since I've gone to dx10 Iv'e not changed any slider positions but now the scenery is continually building as you fly towards it ie the scenery looks moderately sparce then as you fly nearer it gets more dense however because its so close to the aircraft it becomes totally unrealistic is there any way to remedy this? as i would like the density I had with dx9 but in dx10 without the unrealistic scenery loading

sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense but the best way I can describe it is from say 20miles london looks like it has 5-6 sky scrapers and no trees or houses at 18miles it has about 9 or 10 skyscrappers with some trees and houses at 17 miles there are more of everything and so on the nearer you get to the horizon

hope someone can understand this.

many thanks

Pete Little

Hmmm .. Can you post your fsx.cfg here, so we can take a boo at it? :wink:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Many thanks Paul

Here's my config filehope you can decifer it !!

One other thing I noticed I mentioned yesterday about the nvidia inspector being installed correctly, and I noticed in one of your posts that you have inspector as a sub folder in the nvidia folder then you have various nip files did you create that folder or was it inspector because in mine I have no folder for inspector, so I'm wondering if it is actually doing anything because it's not been installed correctly. I've had a look round the internet for instalation instructions but can't find anything and my zip file only has 3 files in it, is that correct ?

Anyway many thanks

rgds

Pete Little

OK, Pete.. First, create an "Nvidia" folder under your "D" or "E" drive, (or whatever drive you keep your non-OS and non-FSX applications on. If it has to be "C" drive, then create a folder named something like Nvidia_Src (NOT just "Nvidia") folder directly under the "C" drive root -and not under "Program Files".

So - select/highlight it, and create another folder inside, called "Drivers": then, still in that Nvidia folder, create another folder called "Inspector".

OK - the drivers:-

Web browse to the NVidia Driver download site and find the latest driver - noting it's version number - (306.23). Then go back to the newly-created D:\Nvidia\Drivers, and create another folder under Drivers, and name it "306.23". Now download the 306.23 driver into that folder. Note - these are all self-extracting exe files. I do this every time there's a new driver out, keeping the old ones for two or three revisions back. OK?

Inspector:-

OK - now browse to the http://majorgeeks.com/NVIDIA_Inspector_d6630.html and note the latest Inspector version - (1.9.6.6). Go into the D:|Nvidia\Inspector] folder and make one called "1.9.6.6":

Download the new inspector - this one's a zip file - and put it into that new folder.

When you unzip it - do it into that same folder that you downloaded it to. There will now be four files: a change log, an xml file, the zipfile and the new Inspector.exe. Rt-click on the exe, select "send to" and pick "Desktop". This will put a shortcut on the desktop.

Now move up one level - into the "Nvidia\Inspector\" folder, and create another folder, naming it "Profiles".

OK - done.

To run Inspector - just dble-clk on the desktop icon: Inspector will open, load the MS Flight Simulator profile, and export it as "default.nip" - to you new "Profiles folder. Now you can setup your FSX profile however you want it, saving it by exporting the .nip to the Profiles folder as FSX_Sept_22.nip, and making it the one which FSX will use by clicking on the "Apply changes" box - top-right corner.

Now you're done! Well, ok - there's a matter of the new driver: Instructions for the install are on the Nvidia Support site - I'm not putting it here, as they do change that procedure from time-to-time. :wink:

Cheers,

pj

Try this one, Pete: In think the 580 is now being pushed too hard, because of the additional freed-up memory in the system with DX10, so it might be a case of lowering some of the more 'frame-impacting' parameters. I've done some of that for you, and have lowered some parts of my own, and you're roughly where mine is now. I would certainly look into AlacrityPC to shut down some of the background processes, and do an occasional defrag.

Let us know how it works. :wink:

pj

It's screenshots like this that make my wife shiver...... :wub:

She knows how close I am to buying the darned thing!! :lol:

many thanks Paul

I've been playin around and think I might have discovered some other info I tried both my dx9 profile again and the dx10 and although the dx9 didn't seem so bad it does have the problem of redrawing but this is stock fsx scenery so pretty rubbish.

I've got aerosoft's madeira scenery so I thought I would try that as well and there was no growing of scenery in either dx9 or dx 10 mode the only problem I had was in dx10 the runway was white, all the taxiways etc were fine and the runway markings were a light gray but the runway stays white,any ideas?

one other thing I've noticed is that when you click fly now when fsx actually starts I get some strange colours and textures for about a second or two before everything settles down.

I will try your modified config file Paul and report back

Again Thanks for your help

rgds

Pete Little

Hi all

well it looks like we are almost there.

The only major issue I have now is my Madeira scenery the runway at LPMA is white all the taxi ways and ramp are fine

I don't have much in the way of scenery areas as I fly mostly comercial airliners so tend to buy addon airports. These all seen to be fine so perhaps its an aerosoft thing As its fine using dx9 but with both mine and Paul j modded config file.

I was going to try some other scenerys to see if any runways have the same problem thought of orbx as they offer demo stuff any ideas what other things I might try scenery wise?

Pete Little

Try this one, Pete: In think the 580 is now being pushed too hard, because of the additional freed-up memory in the system with DX10, so it might be a case of lowering some of the more 'frame-impacting' parameters. I've done some of that for you, and have lowered some parts of my own, and you're roughly where mine is now. I would certainly look into AlacrityPC to shut down some of the background processes, and do an occasional defrag.

Hello Paul. Over the weekend I've tried switching to DX10 myself using your guide(thanks for taking the time to put that together btw) and I'm wondering something. I have a 1G 560Ti and am wondering what buffer pool settings you'd recommend for it in DX10? I know this is a hard topic to give numbers on but in relation to this post for the 580, I assume I'd maybe even have to go lower yet? Also, for what it's worth, I have an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.6Ghz.

Overall, my performance is fine except in area with lots of cloud cover. In DX9, I was holding ~30fps/smooth in pretty much any cloud/weather conditions. Now, with DX10, I drop into the low teens and panning around is much more "sluggish" at this lower fps. It's not a slide show by any means but still not like in DX9.

There is one stipulation I must make to this...I just got OpusFSX for their weather engine about 2 weeks ago now. So, I've used that in DX9 for a week and now in DX10 for 4 days. The reason I bring this up is that I think with the way they do weather, I can see more layers of clouds now. So, I know that can be a factor. But, again, I was running OpusFSX/DX9 for about a week with no issues. Now, that could be because I just never ran into the kind of weather I have in that first week that I have in the last 4 days. But, I don't think that's the case as the weather hasn't been all that bad in the areas I've flown over the past 4 days. Could there be something with the way DX10 is handling the clouds? Should DX10 be better than DX9 or no difference? I'm using AS2012 textures but not the highest quality clouds they offer - I believe I'm at 1024 where you can go up to 4096 with their texture sets.

Anyway, just curious on your thoughts. Also, you commented out the AffinityMask setting too. What's your reasoning behind that?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Hi Kevin: DX10, on the whole, will handle a greater graphics load than DX9. One can generally use the same DX9 settings and probably enjoy higher frame rates - or keep the same rate and add more traffic, clouds, scenery, etc..

That being said - 4.6 and a 560... or 4.9 and a 580 - I can guarantee you - FSX in either mode, has the ability to bring that machine to it's knees! One can get rid of all stutters, hesitations and low frame rates - it's all a matter of your personal tastes and what you need from the sim. Dense clouds, dense traffic (of any kind) max Scenery complexity and max Autogen are the major frame killers, so start off by limiting all of those to lower levels than you might like - but do your testing in a heavy area, like London, New York or Seattle, with a "Standard" saved flight, paused and in the air - one that is repeatable for forty or fifty flights, and started with a Desktop shortcut to the .FLT file for a quicker launch.

The Ti is certainly a bottleneck when used with a proc running at 4.6. It's a mid-range card, and so you have your work cut out trying to find good BP numbers - not necessarily lower numbers, but numbers which will allow the best "match" of proc "speed" to gpu "speed" - by "speed" I mean the ability of the particular device to manage and manipulate data at the highest rate it can. It's a toughie, because this is continuously changing - you know this because - when one has fps="unlimited" the frame rate is all over the place: setting 30, besides matching Nvidia's "1/2" RR, also servers to buffer the highs and lows.

Anyway - the default poolsize is 8MB: you can try 10, 15, 20 and 50: I expect one of those numbers will work. Of course - for each one of those you also need to try the different Reject Threshold settings, too, starting with 125k, 256k, 512k, 768k, 1024k, (131072, 262144, 524288, 786432, 1048576). (Here is a great byte converter)

As well, you might adjust the TBM setting, TextureMaxLoad (if you have it), these both act as "throttles" for the GPU.

AffinityMask: I've not found it makes one iota of difference, in or out, Kevin, so it's gone. The proper way of attaching an application to a particular core has some small advantage for FSX, but it's better to let FSX use the cores that it want ts (It starts with Core 0, and then parcels other threads out to Core 1, 2, 3 in that order, leaving the last core as the last place it's going to use - sooooo - a better way is to start FSX, and the other apps, say ActiveSky and FSPassengers, and Radar Contact, open up the TaskManager, and assign them to the last core, and leave FSX alone.

I hope this answers some of your questions, and I'm sure it will raise others!

All the Best,

pj

When I tick the url I get a path not found. Yet when I go to the drop box the video is there. :lol: Any Ideas?

Here is the url: https://dl.dropbox.c...31/WACO1 HD.wmv

Hi Les - it works now, so don't worry about it!

I have to tell you that - when I first started using Dropbox I had about five or six url's that for some reason or other didn't work. I have no idea why - they just didn't. Now they all work. Go figure... :lol:

Hi Kevin: DX10, on the whole, will handle a greater graphics load than DX9. One can generally use the same DX9 settings and probably enjoy higher frame rates - or keep the same rate and add more traffic, clouds, scenery, etc..

Thanks Paul...I think the next thing I'm going to try is my DX9 settings but in DX10. That means my NI profile and fsx.cfg. If what you say is true(and I'd think the same way as you here), then I should see some performance gain over DX9 - which was pretty good. I would never drop below 20fps in most areas and always have a smooth experience. So, we'll see how that goes.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I have the same problem with my fps in cloud cover. Everything without much clouds / layers is running well even at aerosoft amsterdam with the ngx. But as soon as I run as2012 or manually create 3 or more layers in fsx my fps goes down to 15 and my gpu load to 99%. I think it also has to do with 4 x SGSS antialiasing but without that kind of antialias there is just to much shimmer.

Is there something we could do about this or do I have to switch back to dx9. I hope not.

Im using rex-e 1024x1024 dxt5 clouds.