Sign in to follow this  
PerWel

Need New weather?

No, the current phase of betas were intended to add the necessary surface wind smoothing and an option for wind stabilisation for systems still encountering wind shifts. Once this stage is complete, which is now quite imminent, we will start on the next phase and introduce (or re-introduce) more realistic winds aloft directions based on the prevailing upper winds for the area. Once that is proved we will add the true winds aloft option.

Regards

Stephen

Hi all, just a quick question. Does the program currently (or will in future) offer a wind aloft report and trip averages?

I am looking forward to trying Opus weather as I have been frustrated by not finding reported destination weather and more aggravated by the vendor telling me it is the fualt of FSX.

After spedning 10 minutes during the install and setup, I was able to test the weather program. My first test failed becuase I use AS2012 to find bad weather and sure enough, AS2012 had the wrong data. Their metar must have been old and dated. Go figure? It reported a ceiling while actual weather was clear so Opus passed in the end.

I then chekced out two more airports with low cielings and sure enough, Opus provided reported weather. It is a shame I am so excited about this having purchased to other weather engines.

I am going to continue to use Opus. Thanks,

Thanks,

Brad

CFI CFII

After spedning 10 minutes during the install and setup, I was able to test the weather program. My first test failed becuase I use AS2012 to find bad weather and sure enough, AS2012 had the wrong data. Their metar must have been old and dated. Go figure? It reported a ceiling while actual weather was clear so Opus passed in the end.

I then chekced out two more airports with low cielings and sure enough, Opus provided reported weather. It is a shame I am so excited about this having purchased to other weather engines.

I am going to continue to use Opus. Thanks,

Thanks,

Brad

CFI CFII

This raises serious question how accurate is the weather of AS / REX engines. I always thought that they use real METARs and inject them into FSX, because you know - they advertise this as what they do. Now it turns out that that is somehow incorrect.

Stephen, can you please elaborate on the differences between your product and the competing ones in that regard? Also,can you guesstimate the time frame of the next version which would include winds aloft?

I will buy OPUS once the upper winds are in. But the sale is making me think that I should just buy it now. What are your thoughts? How fast have the new beta features been coming out?

Thanks lee

I will buy OPUS once the upper winds are in. But the sale is making me think that I should just buy it now. What are your thoughts? How fast have the new beta features been coming out?

Thanks lee

There is almost one new beta version every day. Sometimes even more than once a day.

It is worth it already and is only getting better!

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Hi

Elaborate .... Just detailed, accurate and real life weather.

True winds aloft ... See my comments above. It is very difficult to give time scales but the beta releases are both frequent and ongoing, as is the development. Wish I could say for sure when we will incorporate true winds ... I can only say soon but not next week. :-)

You can always hop on board and enjoy some nice weather while you wait. After all you still have AS2012 if you want to fly high and true winds aloft are imperative.

Regards

Stephen

I think you have yourself another customer

Lee

I will try the demo. A great little package this

ZORAN

I write this because I got tired of AS2012 or REX did not give me what is out there in real life. Until now!

For the first time I have had weather at DEP and DEST exactly what weather reports are saying. Also see weather fronts/cloud areas come and go as they do in real life. The takeoff and approaches feels a lot more alive with different clouds at several levels and heights/sizes. And they are exactly what NOA says. First time I've got OVC 400 feet at an airport when NOA says OVC 400 feet. Winds are also on the numbers.

I've been using AS2012 since it came out and the weather/wind/clouds have always matched up with the reported METARs at both the departure and destination airport. I wonder why for some people that hasn't been the case as it's always been spot on for me? I once had a case where the destination weather and winds didn't match up but it ended up being a faulty configuration on my end due to leave a few key boxes in the options unchecked, once that was fixed its always been spot on.

Been following the OPUS threads for a while, especially the main one that was in the FSX forum prior to being locked and it looks like a promising program, but will probably wait and follow for a while longer to see how it progresses before giving it a shot since I like the way I can enter a flight plan into AS2012, get all the wind data, and then have it depict as I fly enroute.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've been using AS2012 since it came out and the weather/wind/clouds have always matched up with the reported METARs at both the departure and destination airport. I wonder why for some people that hasn't been the case as it's always been spot on for me? I once had a case where the destination weather and winds didn't match up but it ended up being a faulty configuration on my end due to leave a few key boxes in the options unchecked, once that was fixed its always been spot on.

Been following the OPUS threads for a while, especially the main one that was in the FSX forum prior to being locked and it looks like a promising program, but will probably wait and follow for a while longer to see how it progresses before giving it a shot since I like the way I can enter a flight plan into AS2012, get all the wind data, and then have it depict as I fly enroute.

Sean Campbell

Never happend to me with real METAR vs AS, what AS says in its own metar is also what it might give you. Have you checked with this NOA page and compared to AS? On many times AS report

said OVC but none when I arrived. Even after several Refreshes still no OVC or whatever the weather was. Sometimes it was OK but not many.

So far it have been on the numbers, (wind, number of cloud layers and base of each layer), from OpusFSX with what NOA says about European places. I also liked AS for many years, nice gui and features. Opus is plannings something similar.

http://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/metars

Just a couple of days ago we had very low clouds and rain here where I live. So I started FSX at a small grass field here. AS gave me scattered clouds very high up and sun, no rain. OpusFSX gave me exactly what I saw out from my window. Nearest weather reporting station is only 40 km away, next one is 60 km in opposite direction. So to me OpusFSX seems to really go by the metar and not AS.

Also looked on NOAs metar page to see what they said. I it was exactly what I've got in FSX from OpusFSX. I am converted if I may call it so. :Praying:

But AS gives you a nice flight so if not Opus had been around I would still be using it. I use REX 1024 3D textures with Opus and they work great together.

My oppinion.

/Per

Per W Sweden

downloaded and installed but very strange, the 737 wont move even at full throttle and a prop plane was launched 5 meters above the take off threshold, also unable to move .

uninstalled now

ZORAN