Sign in to follow this  
FOD

SB4 Installation

I run SB4 on a networked computer and, using the hints in several threads here, I have it running well with P3D except for one problem.

Once connected, the SB4 Com Overlay appears on the P3D computer but behind the P3D display - I can only see it by using window mode and reducing the size of the P3D window. And of course I cannot use it in full screen {unlike FSX}. No one seems to have met this problem so v grateful for any help.

John R

I am afraid I have nothing to offer, but am just about to do my SB install. I have a choice, on the FSX machine, or the networked laptop. May I ask, did you try an installation on the FSX machine at all? I assume you mean the Mode Charlie/Standby window not appearing in the FSX window?

I wonder, do you need to install SB on both machines to run at all from the netwroked one?

I've been running FSInn on FSX, and it's been a while since I used SB.

Many thanks,

Hi Phil,

I normally run SB4 on two systems through a network. As far as the P3D problems are concerned , it doesn't matter which option you choose. Using either method:

1. The Com/IFF panel does not appear in the P3D window but is behind it {a probl;em seen with other add-ons in FS9/x sometimes but I have forgotten how we fixed it.

2. The SB4 message strip across the top of the FS window does not appear with P3d

3. On closing, P3d crashes with as "SB xxx.dll unloaded" error

On the good side, I see other traffic in P3D and the cos interface appears to work correctly.

John R

It would be wonderful if someone who has gotten SB4 + P3D to function properly (everything works) with Vatsim to post a step-by-step "how-to."

Bob Bressert

It would be wonderful if someone who has gotten SB4 + P3D to function properly (everything works) with Vatsim to post a step-by-step "how-to."

Networked or non networked? I have it working fine and it wasnt doing anything special. I dont recall if I used the migrator tool or not? There is a tutorial available in the Avsim library with instructions on how to install a network system in FSX. In the instructions substitute LM for Microsoft and Prepar3d for FSX. The only difference is adding the Sb4 module lines to the P3D dll.xml instead of FSX and where it installes the AI SB4 VIP set..

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>SquawkBox Transponder</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>C:\Squawkbox4\sbtrans10.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>SquawkBox AI Control</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>C:\Squawkbox4\sbaicontrol10.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

Rendi

Are you seeing the SB4 Com Panel on top of the P3d display as I asked in my top post?

John R

Rendi

Are you seeing the SB4 Com Panel on top of the P3d display as I asked in my top post?

John R

That issue is something that also occurs with FSX, and is not just a P3D occurrence and to my knowledge its never been resolved. Some have it some dont. You can see that in the SB4 forum or by doing a Google search on the subject. Ive had it happen it FSX but I cant recall for the life of me how I fixed it. In the SB4 options for the Transponder or where? Switching to windowed to fullscreen or what I just don't remember. seems it was more prevalent in Win7 than XP. May be because it could find the DLL.XML in XP but not Win7 (Appdata folder) you DO want to make sure you have the DLL entries in P3D.

We all know SB4 is almost as old as some of its users. :)

Rendi,

That's interesting - I have never seen that with SB4 in FSX {which is why I didn't search too deeply}.

I do recall that some add-ons do sometimes have this problem but it can usually be fixed - although like you I can't remember how we did it. Also noticed a screengrab on one forum showing how SB4 was fully working in P3D but the shot did not have the con display.

And, as you say, SB4 has been with us a long time - but I'll keep digging

Regards

John R

I now have SB working, on my P3D machine, and I see the Comms overlay in Windowed mode and Full Screen. I installed it using Migration tool.

However, if I start it from the Addons menu, the frame rates are unplayably low. If I start it from the Programs menu I get close to normal frame rates.

All this subject to much more testing yet, but I was able to fly a cross-country task at our virtual gliding club and see other aircraft in the 3D game.

RWFeldman,

Non-networked. BTW, currently I run SB4 externally with FSX on Vatsim and use an utility called DeskPins to keep the SB4 Com Panel on top of the FSX display.

Bob Bressert

Well folks i have been following this thread to see if SB4 will work in P3D as am having annoying errors within FSX when flying on vatsim...

What i did was add the SB4 lines to the DLL.XML in P3D as copied from FSX... I also used the DeskPins app to make sure i could see the transponder and message box overlaid on the screen.... I started SB4 externally to see if it would make the difference..

My findings were initially good... it worked and i could connect with no issues... HOWEVER... while i could use and recieve voice and text it seemed that the only text coming through was the weather update..line after line of it.... the controller tried to text me but it wouldnt show for some reason...

I will experiment more today with it to see if it was something i had done wrong.... pause on task switch is unticked as well..

I do have Opus weather program using REX textures... maybe Opus is the offending program? At any rate, i am sure we will get to the bottom of using SB4 in P3D seemlessly with our collective heads!

Cheers

Edit: Well, after some testing it seems to work ok.. i disabled the weather options within SB4 so no conflicts with Opus... that was fine but i cant see any other traffic at all... i know they are there as checked with the controllers... how do i get the other players to show? Bit stumped (i ahve edited the xml as well but still no joy)

Cheers

Doug

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug