Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clutch Cargo

FYI - airport/aircraft lights can be huge in Surround mode...

Thought I would throw this out there for those using Eyefinity or Surround. On my system when I go Surround mode, and lights that use the halo.bmp get approximately 3x larger. This is most evident when looking at airport approach strobes in the distance. They are waaay too bright and unrealistic. And strobes and landing lights on your aircraft (especially AI if you have applied them) are all encompassing. AI in the distance are just huge orbs of flashing light, ha!

I created a custom.bmp that works much better, but of course if I switch back to a single display the lights are now too small. Ha... can't win!

Just wondering if others using wrap-arounds are seeing this and what are they doing if anything?

Clutch

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,

I run a triple monitor setup at a resolution of 5760x1200, I created a fix and/or workaround back in 2010 for my system. Others have asked for this fix so I uploaded the file to AVSIM, the file is called "FSX Lights Fix". " Here is the link: http://library.avsim...php?DLID=149396

It may not be perfect, but its far better than the huge AI blobs that I had prior to the fix.

Thought I would throw this out there for those using Eyefinity or Surround. On my system when I go Surround mode, and lights that use the halo.bmp get approximately 3x larger. This is most evident when looking at airport approach strobes in the distance. They are waaay too bright and unrealistic. And strobes and landing lights on your aircraft (especially AI if you have applied them) are all encompassing. AI in the distance are just huge orbs of flashing light, ha!

I created a custom.bmp that works much better, but of course if I switch back to a single display the lights are now too small. Ha... can't win!

Just wondering if others using wrap-arounds are seeing this and what are they doing if anything?

Clutch

Hey Michael, so I see I am only two years behind! :P I'll take a look at your work. Much obliged. Might have to create a simple little batch from when going from Surround to single display.

Do people still write BATCH files ? You must be from the old "DOS" generation :rolleyes:

Hi,

Started with computers back when the IBM 8088 was first released, back then we had full height drives. :lol: But, yes, I started with DOS 2.0... Many, MANY years ago.

You can also insert the following into the Prepar3D.cfg which gives control over the lights listed

[Display]

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.5

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.7

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.4

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.5

Not the cheapest solution, but after I installed the new REX for P3D, and chose a smaller light set, the problem is completely gone. I use a 3 LCD/Matrox setup which was always a problem with large blurry lights. REX fixed that as well as improving many other lighting effects.