Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Defunct/Merged Airlines and Aircraft you have flown on?

Cascade Airways

Continental 727

Western 727/DC10

Hughes Airwest DC9

TWA Super Connie

Northwest Orient 707/727

Eastern Airlines Electra

UTA DC10

NPA/United Express

Jetstream 31/ Super jetstream/ EMB120

West Air Shorts SD-360 BAE 146

Republic DC9

Other acrft:

A320

B737 200/300/400/900

C182

EMB145

CRJ700

B757

F27

F28

Dornier 328

MD80

Dash8

Delta Express

Tower Air

Continental

Northwest

727-200

737-200

DC-10

747-100

747-200

Pan AM - 707 (Flight #1 and Flight#2)

Hi Bill,

Flight #1 and Flight #2 ?

Can you please explain?

Thanks,

Bruno

I flew on MartinAir in the 70s. I don't recall whether it was a three holer or four.

In the 80's, I flew twice a year on TWA from St. Louis to Cairo through JFK, Rome and Athens. I flew on 727, L-1011, 747SP, 747-100.

One time flew SunAir, if I recall, 727-200 to St. Petersburg, Florida.

Since I live in New Jersey, I flew Continental all the time. I never flew People's Express as I was on TWA instead.

In Arizona, I flew on Cessna 402, Shorts 360 and finally Cessna 208 with Mesa Airlines.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Hi Bill,

Flight #1 and Flight #2 ?

Can you please explain?

Thanks,

Bruno

Back in the 60's it wasn't quite around-the-world since PA couldn't carry U.S. domestic traffic then (except to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico) so there was a gap between SFO and JFK. Westbound flight 1 originated at SFO and terminated at JFK, and vice versa for eastbound flight 2.

In 1963 when it was still all 707 and DC-8 equipment, the intermediate stops between FRA and HKG varied slightly every day. Eastbound flight 2 routings then were as follows:

Sun: JFK-LHR-FRA-VIE-IST-BEY-KHI-CCU-RGN-BKK-HKG-HND-HNL-SFO

Mon: JFK-LHR-FRA-BEG-IST-BEY-THR-DEL-BKK-HKG-HND-HNL-SFO

Tue: JFK-LHR-FRA-VIE-IST-BEY-KHI-CCU-BKK-SGN-HKG-HND-HNL-SFO

Wed: JFK-LHR-FRA-MUC-IST-BEY-THR-DEL-BKK-HKG-HND-HNL-SFO

Thu: JFK-LHR-FRA-BEG-IST-BEY-KHI-CCU-RGN-BKK-HND-HNL-SFO

Fri: JFK-LHR-FRA-VIE-IST-BEY-THR-DEL-BKK-HKG-HND-HNL-SFO

Sat: JFK-LHR-FRA-MUC-IST-BEY-KHI-DEL-BKK-HKG-HND-HNL-SFO

Elapsed time JFK to SFO was 52 hr 15 min. Flight 1 westbound was 55 hr 35 min SFO to JFK.. Those times were the same every day. The stop at HKG varied from 45 min to 2 hr 15 min depending on the day of the week to adjust for the one extra stop on certain days. The entire routing then had either 11 or 12 intermediate stops.

Since my parents and I were bound for Tehran, Iran we could only fly on Monday, Wednesday or Friday. The three times we flew on PAA 002 we were on Monday flights and had a stop in Belgrade. It was a very nervous time in the early 60's and we had to remain onboard the aircraft. In fact, the a/c wasn't allowed anywhere near the terminal at all, but was parked far out on the ramp where armed soldiers could surround the aircraft... Nail%20Biting.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I will miss the Airtran 737s and 717s.... They will slowly go out to Delta and Southwest. :unsure:

No more *super* derated takeoffs... :lol:

Well reading the start of the thread I read it as Airlines that have gone and airliners that are no longer in service or that you're unlikely to fly on again?

Airlines:

Aeroflot (when it was the USSR state airline)

Continental (best US carrier I've flown)

Airliners:

727-100 Loved the integral rear stairs.

727-200

737-200

Lockheed Tristar

Tu154M an impressive bit of kit

Il86 Good modern interior but VERY noisy engines

757s Always liked these as they seemed very powerful. Seemed to leap into the sky even fully loaded.

Airbus A300 (Chartered by Royal Air Maroc to get us cross country during a pilots strike). Actually pretty good compared with many newer planes flown by some I've travelled with.

Most of the above replaced by A320's here in the UK

WORST Airline I ever flew..... "Name & Shame 'em"

No NOT Aeroflot by a long stretch but ........SAA. A truly appalling experience and a model of "how not to do customer care". Of course we all have bad flights and even on those there are always individuals who don't deserve to be heaped in with the overall bad service but I can say I'd only ever travel with them again if they were the only carrier on the route.

Best laugh on an Airline....

A certain South American airline that flew us 600miles across the Pacific. The Stewardess in trying to do the lifejacket demonstration managed to get it on backward and in struggling to rectify this got herself completely tied in a knot. Her colleague trying to rescue her made things worse until they both got the giggles and had to be hustled behind a curtain to try and preserve some sort of air of authority. pretty pointless though because the passengers were all laughing anyway. They might not have been if they'd checked where their lifejackets were supposed to be.......... As the old joke goes when doing this demo "...and a whistle to ....attract the sharks." They landed at a miltary airfield to refuel on the coast of the mainland. They landed one way and took off the other. One of them was downwind. They also refuelled the aircraft with us all seated with a huge fire tender standing next to the bowser whilst the flight crew and military chatted and smoked on the tarmac. Not a laugh?! Well I'm hear to tell the tale and it was a great trip.

Geoff Brown

1. Viasa

2. Pan AM

3. Panagra

4. British Caledonian Airlines

5. BEA

6. Eastern Airlines

7. PSA

8. Hughes Airwest

9. Northwest/Northwest Orient

10. Sempati Air

11. National

12. Continental

13. Avensa/Servivensa

0000000. Convair CV-580

000000. Twin Otter

00000. Short 330/360

0000. Hawker Siddeley Trident

000. BAC 1-11

00. Douglas DC-7

0. Caravelle

1. 707

2. 727-100, -200

3. 737-200,- 300,-500.-600.-700.-800

3. 747-100, -200, -300, -400

3. 757-200

3.767-200, -300

3.777-200

4. DC8

5. DC9-10,-15,-20,-30,-40,-50

6. DC10-20,-30

7. A304, A300-600, A319, A320, A321, A330, A340

8. TriStar L1011

9. Saab 340

10.- DC8

The roledex is slow these days. But still kicking.

Cheers,

From New South Wales, Australia:-

Butler

Airlines of NSW

Ansett

Airspeed Ambassadore

Viscount

Electra

Mohawk Airlines. Used to fly them out of Albany NY, back in the 60's. Yes, I'm an old geezer. Was on a Convair something or the other, one day back then and it took the stewardess pulling on the door from the inside and a mechanic pushing on the outside to get the door closed. Back then, I guess, it was no big deal. Needless to say, I kept my seatbelt on the entire flight as I was sitting up near the door. That was my favorite spot as they usually flew with the cockpit door open.

Venezuelan Airlines defunt and Merged (included airplanes moved into other venezuelan airlines):

AVENSA

SERVIVENSA

VIASA

1.- B727-100

2.- B727-200 (also included Advanced and Super27)

3.- Douglas DC3

4.- Douglas DC10-30 (Only AVENSA)

5.- Douglas DC6B (Only AVENSA)

6.- B737-300 (4 are now part of Conviasa)

7.- Douglas DC9-30 (are now part of Aserca)

7a.- Douglas DC9-10 (now destroyed after the crash of Flight 742 VIASA incident since March 19, 1969, occurred on the famous former old airport of Maracaibo called "Grano de Oro" now part of the Campus of La Universidad del Zulia today.)

8.- Sud Aviation Caravelle SE210 6R and SE210 6N (Sud Aviation are now Airbus)

9.- Convair 880 and Convair 990 (Only VIASA)

9.- Convair 580 (are now par of Kavoc Airline)

10.- Boeing 737-200 (Only Avensa, and moved to Conviasa, Venezolana and Avior)

11.- Embraer 140 (sadly, no more flights of avensa and the airline went bankrupt and was merged going into joined new airline CONVIASA)

12.- Douglas DC8-53/62/63 (including most famous airplane called "The Colossus" was a Boeing/Douglas DC8-63 of VIASA)

LAV - Linea Aeropostal Venezolana (are now called Alas de Venezuela but yet back again as now part of the Venezuelan State for historic reasons for being the first airline in the country since 1928.)

1.- B727-200 (also included Advanced and Super27)

2.- Douglas DC3 (also included a few DC3 called Dakota)

3.- Douglas DC9-10/20/30/40/50

4.- Lockheed Super Constellation L748

5.- Lockheed Super Constellation L1049G

RANSA

1.- Boeing 377 Stratocruiser

2.- Curtiss C46

Air Margarita

1.- Lockheed Tristar L1011-400

Many airplanes of Boeing/Douglas DC3 and is now exposed in the aviation museum Maracay and Caracas Museum of Transportation, including the Old Boeing/Douglas DC3 Aeropostal, Boeing / Douglas DC4 "Holy Cow", etc..