Sign in to follow this  
MMartinov

Entering holding pattern included in active route

The other day I was given a hold at RTT NDB on the Innsbruck approach. To my surprise when I pressed "hold" there was a pattern already determined by the FMS saying "active route holding". I could not find the proper LSK to press though, to actually activate the holding, and I had to fly couple of lame circles before I actually was able to reprogram the holding requirements and entered the pattern. I found a tutorial by Fred Steiner here in the forum but for some reason the pictures were gone and I could not understand the procedure. Can anyone point in the right direction so I can avoid future embarrassments ;)

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

FCOM2 11.43.35

How to set it quickly: click hold, next hold, select the waypoint, input the inbound track and turn direction (L or R) . Press exec.

pretty sure the holding already present was the one for the missed approach. just insert a new one at the waypoint you want to hold and you're good to go....

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Hi all, yup it does seem you were looking at the hold for the missed approach, just press next hold and program it!

How to set it quickly: click hold, next hold, select the waypoint, input the inbound track and turn direction (L or R) . Press exec.

Well, that is how I end up doing it.

The question was whether I can activate the holding pattern already present and configured correctly in the active route at the requred waypoint. In my example the last route waypoint was RTT NDB before the IAF to LOC/DME rwy 26 at Inssbruck. That day I was required to hold at RTT and I noticed the dashed holding pattern was already there. In the legs page waypoint RTT had note "hold at". My problem was that I could not find a way to activate this holding pattern and I had to go HDG select while sorting the issue out with the "hold next"....

Hi all, yup it does seem you were looking at the hold for the missed approach, just press next hold and program it!

Hmmmm.... you might be actually right since I had the rwy 26 procedure configured... But then why on my legs page RTT had already "hold at"?.. Further down the legs pages RTT NDB was displayed for second time as missed approach end point. I'll have to refly the route and see whether you are correct.

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Well it's dashed lines because it's the missed approach but for the rest it behaves on the fmc exactly like any other wp, you can't activate it like you say if you haven't reached it yet

Indeed. You see the route after a missed approach (Go Around) leading to the holding pattern completely in dashed lines. When you're on the final towards the runway and for some reason you need to go around, activate go around and automatically the FMC activates that route to the holding pattern. You than have to plan a new approach route for the 2nd attempt. If you do this before you reach the holding pattern, you can skip the holding pattern entirely and continue on the 2nd approach directly.