Sign in to follow this  
MarkHargrove

OpusFSX for Weather Only?

OpusFSX does so many things that I've gotten a bit confused. Is it possible to use the product for nothing more than weather injection on a networked flight sim setup, while continuing to use something like Wideview for display synchronization? --or does LiveView have to be running for weather sync to work?

-M.

While I do not run a networked setup, I believe that you can run just the weather program, as I do. Stephen will answer definitively and shortly, too.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I only run the weather piece and it works just fine.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I just purchased it and i just can't make the weather work while networked. It's working in standalone mode on the "FSX PC" but i can't make it work with the support PC acting like a server and the manual just doesn't explain clearly enough how to do it.

Do i need to have simconnect.cfg inside the folder like i use on AS2012? Do i need any special settings? My PCs communicate with each other flawlessly (alas, i'm a network engineer), so i don't know what's wrong?

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Its not yet capable to supply wx from a networked machine. That function will be coming soon I think.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Sean Green

LiveWeather won't work in the mode you're after quite yet, which is why there is no documentation. The FSXSERVER process has to be run on your FSX PC. I can tell you from experience, though, that that's OK -- it has no noticeable affect on framerate that I can see.

You'll still experience trouble with weather synchronization with the server process running on your FSX PC, though, if you don't have a read/write share set up the client and the server for the C:\OpusFSX folder. Their client and server apps need to be able to read and write to that folder across the network.

My PCs communicate with each other flawlessly (alas, i'm a network engineer)

:LMAO: dang... here I was considering the Opus and I see this :Big Grin:

Ahhhhhhh ok ok... I thought it was working already :) Thanks for the clarification.

I'm still testing it, but i don't like the way it has to be setup in order to work at all, hope they change this. Engine seems realistic.

:LMAO: dang... here I was considering the Opus and I see this :Big Grin:

What's wrong with that :( :lol:

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Because I certainly am no network expert... I get a thrill if both comps talk to each other (or one prog communicates to fsx).

not to fear as I am still interested (the quip just a tongue-in-cheek thingy) sry just seemed funny.

No need to apologise, i wasn't offended in any way :P :P

It doesn't require THAT MANY skills to setup the computers in a networking environment, it's actually quite accessible ^_^

After experimentation I've concluded that OpusFSX cannot simply be used to inject weather. Even with LiveCamera control disable on both server and client, the application takes over view control anyway. If LiveView is disabled on the clients, no connection occurs between the server and client.

One more thought occured to me just as I was typing this message -- I haven't tried deleting the .CAM files from the clients (in the hope that LiveView won't try to manage the client views).

I really want OpusFSX to do nothing more than inject weather into my server and client environments -- I dont' want it to try to control camera views.

It's fair to ask why: after a LOT of experimentation I can very definitively say that for my setup, WidevieW does a visibly better job of controlling the remote views. LiveView lags, stutters, and is a bit distracting on all client displays (I have 5 of them). It's not outright terrible, but given the specs of my client systems I expect a nearly-perfect, smooth scenic view. I get it from WidevieW; I don't get it from LiveView.

Hmm. Another thought just occured to me -- perhaps I don't need OpusFSX to relay the weather to the clients. WidevieW does that -- so perhaps if I just run the OpusFSX server process to inject weather into FSX, WidevieW will relay that weather to the clients....

Off to the simulator for another experiment!

-M.

After experimentation I've concluded that OpusFSX cannot simply be used to inject weather. Even with LiveCamera control disable on both server and client, the application takes over view control anyway. If LiveView is disabled on the clients, no connection occurs between the server and client.

<snip>

Maybe it's a networking issue. I've been using it in single PC mode all by it's lonesome to simply inject weather without using the LiveCamera function and it works just fine.

Didn't you notice that ZOOM stopped being smooth and is now handled in steps? At least that happened to me, and i don't like it :(

Any of you ditched ezdok for opus ?

Nearly yes, at the moment EZDOK still has the edge when you compare the camera functions only like for like. Opus' Dynamic head movements are better, but the transitions between views are better in EZDOK imho. Opus' rate of development though means that I fully expect it to exceed EZDOK when the development moves onto the camera views after the weather engine is boxed off - I hope! :)

K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png