Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

ProATC-X Update

I have been asked by some others to start up a new thread regarding ProATC-X to try to bring everyone up-to-date. The latest update is 1043 and the next update is expected to be released soon. Back in June, Al Chock, here at AVSIM, did an excellent short and sweet review of this product and that thread went into 26 pages and 647 posts - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/376905-a-quick-fly-by-of-pro-atc/ . It became difficult to follow for some as no one really has the time to read 647 posts. I have heard that the next release will contain new runway data as the current data in ProATC is out-of-date. I think this will be the major update everyone is really looking forward to getting. I hope so! I had a lot of problems with the bad runway data as ProATC directed me to non-existent runways at KORD. I was able to fix that by going into the database and making sure that runway was not used for takeoff or landings. I think the database and the ability to make edits is one of the best features of ProATC (the best IMHO being the ability to have background ATC during your flight). It would also send me to an existing runway and tell me to hold short and contact ATC but, when I got to that runway and contacted ATC, ATC would tell me to go to the runway and contact them. I heard this is a problem with the AIRAC and runway data which they promise to fix. Right now I think the biggest problem is getting the top of descent to work better. This was a major complaint in the previous threat and it was supposedly fixed in the last update (1043) but it doesn’t work all the time for me. For instance, from Chicago to St Louis I was flying the SID and almost got to my assigned altitude but was told by ATC to descend before getting to the first waypoint after the SID and about 240NM from St Louis! By the time I got to the first waypoint, I was down to FL 4600 and had to fly that all the way to St Louis. It was acting like the first waypoint was the destination. I had to fly the rest of the way at 4600 feet no faster than 250 NM (that’s no fun! If it happens, trust me, end the flight and start again). Flying from LAX to San Francisco, there is no problem whatsoever. So, for me, it’s sort of hit or miss. I did have one successful flight at assigned altitude from Chicago to St Louis but ATC stopped responding at the last waypoint of the Clearance Flight Plan. I never received an Approach Flight Plan. I tried to send in my logs but they are trying to complete the updates and most of the information I have seen on their site is that this problem will be fixed in the next update.

The program has come a long way since June when it was first released with a lot of updates. The fact that it is compatible for the most part with PMDG’s 737NGX is one great accomplishment (IMHO again). The implementation of the ProATC.log that you can send them if you have an issue was a great update too as the developers can see exactly what caused the problem and fix it or tell you what you did wrong. I think it will eventually become a great program to replace the default ATC, hopefully after this next update. Just interested in some of the thoughts from some others who are using the program. If someone wants to do another quick review of the program here showing the latest features and fixes, they are most welcomed. I’m pretty busy to do it myself right now. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them though.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

FYI, Update 1100 has been released. Has the ability to import AIRAC data plus some new features. Hopefully this will be the last. I have updated and downloaded the AIRAC data and imported it into ProATC-X. Works well. Testing....

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim, I noticed on the Aerosoft NavData Pro that there is an option to use it with ProAtc...please keep us informed about the updates, I have NOT purchased it yet but I'd like too. I watched some youtube videos and I was not impressed. Does this addon give you SID/STARS, how are the Radar Vectors, does it simulate IFR into non-towered Airports with CTAF/FSS?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Does this addon give you SID/STARS, how are the Radar Vectors, does it simulate IFR into non-towered Airports with CTAF/FSS?

You will need Aerosoft's NavData Pro if you want to import the latest AIRAC data into the program (I heard they would like to get Navigraph data compatible too). You do receive SID/STARS but no radar vectors. It does not simulate IFR into non-towered airports.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim, I have been following this thread plus the older "Chock" thread regarding ProAtc-X. I did purchase the addon a few days ago after reading that it seems to be a really good FSX atc replacement.

Trying out a default flight plan (KJFK-KBOS), I don't seem to get proper taxi instructions, i.e. parked at gate 1 at JFK (Gate A1 in FSX & P3D) then told to hold short of R/W 04L via V,V,P or in a previous session

with the same FP, R/W 04R via K,K,Q. There were many other taxiways before the instructed ones, they seem to only give three at a time. It also states in the manuel that it helps get you get to the R/W

by quote "pointing the compass needle to the position assigned while taxiing. Thus you always know where to go. Just make sure you stay on taxi-ways while rolling", what does that mean?.

I have installed latest update, but have not yet purchased any new AIRAC data.

Any help would be appreciated.

John.

The taxi instructions are not very realistic IMHO as, for one, you are not located at the same gate in the ProATC Flight Plan. I have seen where some of the gates are not the same as those shown in FSX. But I try to get close. There is no ground controller who's going to jump all over you if you happen to be on the wrong taxiway enroute to your departure R/W so I pull up the overhead view window to see where the runway is located and follow the taxiway that appears to be the fastest route. If I have the PMDG 737 loaded and the FMC programmed, the panel will show the runway location and that gives you some guidance too getting to the proper runway. I heard the gate issue was going to be fixed when the AIRAC update is released but I have the AIRAC data and I'm still confused with the gates in ProATC and those that are shown in the default FSX or an addon airport (I haven't gone to a lot of airports yet but the four I have been too, the data is wrong or difficult to find. I wouldn't be too concerned with this "issue". Same goes when landing. I skip the part where ATC advises me to contact ground after landing and, instead, end ProATC and pull up GSX (Ctrl+F12) and get a gate assigned that way. GSX also provides a follow-me vehicle to follow to the arrival gate so a bit more realistic. If you have FSX ATC turned on, you can also ask the controller there to provide a gate and you can then turn on progressive taxi. FSX ATC will still work even though ProATC is activated. If you don't have the AIRAC data, ProATC will sometimes direct you to a runway but when you get there and ask for takeoff, it doesn't recognize that you are there. So this is a small bug which was fixed with the AIRAC import.

Staying on the taxiways while rolling is always advisable as in real life, if you go off a taxiway onto ground or off the taxiway and hit a taxiway sign or light, you can get into real trouble and cost your airline a few thousand. They also don't want you to take shortcuts across parking areas. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks Jim for your reply. I have GSX so I shall use that for the arrival gate. I would of thought with all the updates they have released they would of solved the gate problem, perhaps I am

expecting too much. I must admit I really do like the voices, they are very clear and not too quick. But what do think they mean about follwing a compass pointer to the active?.

Thanks.

John.

Just to keep everyone updated.

The next update of ProATC will be the inclusion of Addon scenery taxiways and Parking.

Date of update: not known at this point in time.

Just in case anyone was going to ask :P

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Are they going to make the voices better, they are just awful and they speak way way to fast?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Ron, I think the ATC voices are great and you can make your own and/or download ones created by others.

what do think they mean about follwing a compass pointer to the active

Okay, now I see what you mean about the compass pointer! I have never used the feature but see how it is done. Check out the taxi instructions video at the following link - http://www.pointsoftware.de/proatcx_e/proatcxflight.html. As you can see, after getting approval to taxi, the pilot changed the setting on the PFD from the Map Display to the VOR or APP display which has the compass display on the PFD. It's like the glideslope feature. Keep the magenta line on line and you'll get to your destination. I haven't tried it but that's what they mean.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I just watched the videos they have on their website. It looks pretty good. I have 2 questions though...

1) Has anyone tried this with Prepar3d?

2) The ATC chatter sounds great but are they talking to actual UT2 traffic or is it just random sound effects?

1) Has anyone tried this with Prepar3d?

As I understand it, it will be made compatible with P3D

2) The ATC chatter sounds great but are they talking to actual UT2 traffic or is it just random sound effects?

The ATC background chatter is random; however, if you are in the approach phase of your flight, only approach ATC will be heard in the background. You can download and add ATC as much as you want and add it to the appropriate folders, CLR, DEP, ARR, ENR, etc. I bought and installed Real ATC as it provides great ATC background for the US. ProATC comes with European ATC only.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the answers. It's ok that's it's only random chatter but does the program know where the UT2 traffic is and only vector you into the final when it knows you're clear or do you end up too close to other aircraft etc?

What Real ATC did you get? Have you got a link? I only really fly in Europe at the moment but I'd like to have a look...

No. It does not know where the UT2 traffic or any AI traffic is located (although the program does state it sees what FSX sees). It is successful 'seeing' some AI like at departure but I haven't seen it moving ground AI traffic out of the way to avoid a crash. I have had several flights where AI traffic will be moving across my arriving runway or lining to takeoff as I approach. So that simply does not work at this time. What I use most of the time is the neat utility called AISmooth that monitors all AI traffic and keeps them out of your way I think mainly so you can takeoff without waiting for 20 AI to arrive and avoid the Go Around feature in the FSX default. You always have top priority. It still doesn't see the AI taxiing on the ground.

Best regards,

Jim

What Real ATC did you get? Have you got a link?

Forgot to add - here's the link to Ralph Zimmerman's collection - http://realatc.net/RealATC.htm.

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks Jim, I have crash detection switched off anyway for when I'm on IVAO so it's not the end of the world. Think I might give it a go now.