Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

ProATC-X Update

Hi Chris, I can confirm that ProAtc works in P3D, when you install ProAtc it finds or asks for the location of the saved flight plan folder for FSX, P3D, & PMDG 737NGX.

BTW thanks Jim, for explaining the compass pointer query, they don't say in the manuel about changing the PFD.

John.

The €50 pricetag... will that hold when the program is "finished" or is this a special price for being a betatester - like CaptainSim does with their 0.x releases of products?

Not nagging about the price at all, just wondering. :rolleyes:

BTW thanks Jim, for explaining the compass pointer query, they don't say in the manuel about changing the PFD.

Hi John. I tried that compass pointer thingy last night and could not figure out how to get it to work. I guess I'll have to look at the video again (and again). Thanks for pointing that out to me as it was in the manual and who reads the manual? :LMAO: Glad someone does!

Best regards,

Jim

The €50 pricetag... will that hold when the program is "finished" or is this a special price for being a betatester - like CaptainSim does with their 0.x releases of products?

I understand what you are saying and I do not have any inside info but I would be shocked if the price for ProATCX went any higher. You still have to buy the AIRAC data and, if you want more ATC background voices, maybe the price for that too (currently around $20).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, I think I have figured out the taxi pointer thingy, it seems you follow the direction of the course indicator (green) on the PFD while taxing. I was parked a long way away from

04R at JFK, but followed th C.I and it got me there, but the taxi route I was given by the ground controller was way off.

John.

it seems you follow the direction of the course indicator (green) on the PFD while taxing.

How do you get that to come up on your PFD? Click the button on the panel to change the setting to VOR or ILS?

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The feature list for this addon seems great, but from general Googling and reading reviews and user comments, it still seems heavily bugged and unreliable, at a large proportion of airports, And price tag really seems unprecedented for this type of addon. $50 maybe, but 50 Euros ..... I'll be voting with my wallet at this stage....

Jim, After geting taxi instructions, click PFD switch to VOR and click centrer of switch which brings up the compass rose with the course indicator, just follow the

direction of the green arrow. Also note this is with the default 737.

John.

Okay, that's why I didn't see it. I was using the PMDG737. I did the same thing with the PMDG737 and did not see the green arrow. In any case, the PMDG shows the runway in the PFD so you can make that bigger by changing the distance to 5 miles and then just head in the direction of the runway. I think I'm going to do a couple of flights with the default heavies as I have been solely testing lately with the PMDG737. Right now I'm watching live this guy who's going to jump from 120,000 feet above Earth! It's over in the Hangar Chat forum.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Sorry to be overly simplistic here...but I don't get it. This ATC program doesn't even interact with AI traffic which is a feature that is over a decade old and exists on competing products from Radar Contact and ProFlight. It seems to be very buggy and the fact that it simply does use makerunways.exe to sync its database with your addons makes no sense to me. SO in in my overly simplistic view this seems to be a NEW product with LESS features, LESS functionality and MORE buggy than its existing competition?

Again, my apologies if I'm being overly simplistic and not seeing the greatness of the program that maybe only owners of the program know about? If so, can someone divulge what these are...because right now I totally don't get the point to this program except to be ANOTHER ATC program on the market that falls short? Am I wrong?

Capt Mike,

I appreciate your views. You certainly have a right to make them. Respectfully, I think you're wrong though. For one who's a real Squadron Commander who flies real things for the Civil Air Patrol, I can see some justification in your comments. It is hard to duplicate that on a computer. FSX is a game simulating flight. There are a lot of wantabees who would like to be like you. They all can't so they play a game or tune up on their already real-life flight skills. There are many here who really enjoy this addition to FSX and see it getting better and better. Microsoft is not going to improve the default FSX ATC and Radar Contact has stopped updating and improving that ATC program (which I admit was good back in the FS9 days. I was a loyal supporter). Radar Contact had it's growing pains too! Here's just an example of what they put into Version 4:

AI interactions including:

• Ground traffic frozen to prevent runway incursions while you’re on final.
    • Chatter appropriate to their actions.
    • Detecting AI planes that will cause a conflict in the future.
    • When you’re on final, slow faster planes behind you, and speed up slower planes in front of you.

So they had a lot of growing pains too.

The people who are developing this new ATC addon, ProATC-X are working dilligently to improve this product and they are not finished. I agree, there are a lot of issues right now but it is improving almost weekly. The developer is truly dedicated to making this the best ATC program ever. I would venture to say the program will eventually interact with AI traffic. That element of the program is in need of some work.... well a lot of work, especially on the ground. But I think it will eventually happen. But, if it doesn't, I have an ATC program that has a co-pilot who will help me fly my heavy's, a flight crew I can interact with, and I can listen to realistic ATC in the background just like in real life (just to name a few). Let us wantabees and many others here have our fun and play with something that is a little bit better than the default and maybe (in some minds) a lot better than Radar Contact.

Respectfully,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Maybe someone should consider including an AI package within the ATC package in order that ATC can 'know' in advance all movements of AI.....and control their appearance/dissapearance accordingly along with other nasty tricks of the trade....by not following real time schedules but modelling AI traffic to co-exist with a planned user route....besides, stricktly adhering to some unseen real time schedule is the least of my concerns. I would like to see good interplay, forced and faked ATC situations sort of...

al

Maybe someone should consider including an AI package within the ATC package in order that ATC can 'know' in advance all movements of AI.....and control their appearance/dissapearance accordingly along with other nasty tricks of the trade

That's done nicely by AI Smooth. It's really an old utility and the author apparently is not updating it anymore so a utility like that would be nice (for free).

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

That's done nicely by AI Smooth. It's really an old utility and the author apparently is not updating it anymore so a utility like that would be nice (for free).

Best regards,

Jim

I was referring more to ATC voice interactions with pre=known situations with AI

Like I said, AI Smooth does that very good. It has an ATC voice telling AI to get out of the way and interacts with AI. If that could be incorporated into ProATC with ProATC doing the same thing, that would work. I'm just saying that the capability is there based on what AI Smooth does already.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

In real life, aircraft are not usually told to "get out of the way"

I meant real-like ATC interaction, not clearing house stuff.

More like...your number two on approach for runway 12L kinda interactivity.