Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

Landing lights very soft / non-animating

Am I stupid, missed something, or just plain forgetful?

I'm like 100% sure that my NGX landing lights, the retracteable ones should visibly move on the ground as they are extended but turned on before fully extended? Better said, if turned on, before fully extended, there is animated effect on the ground visible as lights move.

Mine currently don't.

Moreover, my taxi lights are barely visible! Same with the runway turnoff lights. Both are barely visible on the ground when turned on.

Is my FSX installation bad or something cuz I'm right now pulling my hairs!?

Any this are some shots how they look like, notice how little light taxi and turnoff give:

Taxi only:

Turnoff only:

All frontal:

Can anyone please check this for me before I go crazy?

Animation of the retractable landing lights (best if you just press ctrl+L, it will toggle all LL, while looking forward - they should not simply turn on, but "come up", like animate on the ground) and the brightness of the taxi lights.

Hi Word Not Allowed,

I read your post earlier and I tried to find some information about the retractable landing lights in the manuals provided by PMDG, however without sucess.

Are you shure that the lights switch on once the switch is in the ON possition, even without the lights fully extended? I personally haven't ever seen the moving lights you mentioned on the NGX.

Best regards,

Jonathan

lights turn on when you flip the bar, and are turned on while extending. i am very sure that i saw the effect earlier. i have been even testing it and playing with it at some point when i got the ngx... i can clearly remember that flight as my frames were suffering badly as i was taxiing at dawn with lights turned on and all...

but as i said, i may be senile, which would be quite wonderful being 33 only...

Dunno. I've never noticed that effect.. But maybe I just wasn't looking hard nuff..

I look again on the next dark flight..

I'm pretty sure the lights are part of the model itself, and don't use any of the typical FSX lighting techniques.

Because of this (I believe) I don't think you will see any 'animation' of the light itself as the lamp extends.

I can't recall seeing the the light move...hmm....

Srdan, do you have REX? It can change the light intensity on the theme settings, so check that.

I could be wrong but the ngx lights use a different textures for it lights and rex has no effect on them as it does on other aircraft. Read this on the md-11 thread with a similar problem and it was mentioned there

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

NGX uses proprietary 3D models for lights (I believe I was readying about this somewhere), so no REX is going to affect it. I got PMDGs answer about intensity that all is OK.

About light map animation (let's just call it that), we shall see.

But if you guys never seen a light map animation, I wonder where do I have it from? Mabye my mind really mixed up two different aircraft... however unlikely, but possible.

NGX uses proprietary 3D models for lights (I believe I was readying about this somewhere), so no REX is going to affect it. I got PMDGs answer about intensity that all is OK.

About light map animation (let's just call it that), we shall see.

But if you guys never seen a light map animation, I wonder where do I have it from? Mabye my mind really mixed up two different aircraft... however unlikely, but possible.

Just "tested" it. No light animation overhere.

Am I stupid, missed something, or just plain forgetful?

I'm like 100% sure that my NGX landing lights, the retracteable ones should visibly move on the ground as they are extended but turned on before fully extended? Better said, if turned on, before fully extended, there is animated effect on the ground visible as lights move.

Mine currently don't.

Moreover, my taxi lights are barely visible! Same with the runway turnoff lights. Both are barely visible on the ground when turned on.

Is my FSX installation bad or something cuz I'm right now pulling my hairs!?

Hi Word Not Allowed,

I did the same exercise so you can compare.

Hi all,

Read this, a Ryan Maziarz post !!

http://forum.avsim.n...y/#entry2110490

Quote Matias Sorcinelli:

What Ryan said was that the light doesn't light up the ground between certain time, because it looks unrealistic. They're gonna see if they can extend that time laps to make the lights work while on dusk/down.

Robert

Hi Word Not Allowed!

I know how frustrating and annoying is when you expect something and it doesn't seem to work, I get the same! I just wonder tho, why would you turn the retractable landing lights on before extending them?

Never seen animated lights on my NGx in it's default days. But I am now running Shockwave lights Redux on my A/C. They don't animate, but they do significantly increase brightness (can be configured if you find them too bright). A patch also allows the landing lights to 'show' in daylight hours plus you can adjust the angle of the lights to one of three positions too.

Not sure if you fancy giving that a bash, but just thought I would throw it into the mix for info.

I, too, am finding the NGX's taxi lights to be/look very dim but I figured it is because I have a calibrated monitor for Photoshop work.

It's a Rube Goldberg solution but what I do when I have a night flight is go into the nVidia panel, bump up the gamma to anything between 1.10 and 1.20 and maybe even up the Brightness about 20 points from its default. Oh, and turn off my calibration otherwise it just resets everything to the calibrated values.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.