Sign in to follow this  
Guest azflyboy

2003 Paris Air Show

Guest azflyboy

Hello fellow simmers,My family and I are going on a trip from the where we live in the US to the UK (london area mainly) We might also go to Paris during the Paris Air show and I was wanting some opinions on it. Is is worth it for an individual to attend the show for a day or two? and Is it better to attend midweek than at the beginning or end of the show? Finally is there a way to get to the show via trian or public transit rather that trying to rent a vehicle? (I have consulted the official website for the show so please don't tell me to go there) Thanks for any information,David Swindle

Guest Miro Majcen

David, i have been there several times, always as reporter. It is absolutely good to go there, unfortunately public days are lmited to weekends mostly and that means crowds all over. But the static exhibition, flying displays and hangars are are well worth the trip i'd say. MiroMiro MajcenSenior Managing EditorAVSIM Onlinewww.avsim.com

Guest cw1011

Getting there is no problem. You can take the Eurostar train under the channel direct inot Paris (three hours). The Paris Metro will get you to the RER (regional commuter train line) which has a stop in Le Bourget. There might even be one in the Eurostar station, though I'm not sure. Busses from there to the field - I'm sure many extra ones for the air show.

Guest bisinchi

David,The Paris Air Show is usually a very nice show, it's quite massive, there are a lot of planes on display and you get to see planes (military and civilian, helicopters (military and civilian).I think if you don't have a car, the best way to get there from Paris City center is via RER, stop at Le Bourget Airport and there is a shuttle service from there (or just follow the crowd!!!).Public days are only limited to WEs as I think is mentioned on the official website.The best way to beat the crowd, be there really early, so you can get in when the doors open and an advice, visit all the exhibitions at the begining, when it's not too busy, then see the planes parked for the display. The air display starts after lunch.On the downside, it seems that this year, there may not be any american planes on flying display at the airshow. This needs to be confirmed.I will be going to the show on the last Sunday (June 22nd).Regards,Francois

Guest azflyboy

Francois,Thanks for the response. It was confirmed that there will be NO US planes there (thought you might wanna know) also is there a lot of anti-American sentiment in France these days (no offense meant to the French at all) what with that whole stupid "freedom fries" thing and the American boycotts of Air France, The airshow and anything the American lemmingspublic seem to think is French)? It has been my experience that the Europeans are susually very good about distinguishing the American citizens from tha American government and i was wondering if this is still true in France? Thanks a lot,David Swindle

Guest cw1011

Everything I have heard recently (mostly on NPR) is that the French like Americans, but can't stand George Bush. My girlfriend just got back from Germany and Switzerland and found mostly sympathy for Americans (in the same way you are sympathetic to a guy who somehow ends up in a really bad marriage). Frankly, they don't believe Junior really won the election since he got beat in the poplular vote. Not surprising - I'm guessing less than half of all Americans can explain how the electoral college works, and far fewer how it even came into existence. My experiences in Paris (two) have left me wondering where the stereotype of the sneering Parisian looking down his or her nose at the ugly American came from. I have a vocabulary of approximatley 10 french words (beer, wine, toilette, coffee - I think you get my drift) and despite the linguistic limitations, I still found the French people delightful and hospitable. Of course, it helps if you don't make disparaging comments about the country's right to make its own decisions, its rapid fall at the start of the second world war, portion sizes, the small, very strong cups of coffee, the Normandy butter, the (truly wonderful) stinky cheese or the dog poop on the streets. Also, wholly inaccurate and grossly unfair characterizations of the French military as gutless and prone to surrender probably won't win you a lot of invitations to dinner. I would go back to France in a heartbeat. And look at the bright side. Fares are likely the lowest they will be in the foreseeable future. I would go personally also to make the statement that I find this whole French bashing stuff silly and imature. After all, who are we to tell them how to run their country? Freedom fries - does anyone think the French even noticed? Pass the wine!Go have fun. Drink lots of good red wine and tasty belgian beers and sit out on the sidewalk in the warm spring evenings watching the unbelievably beautiful french women walk by. Thats my recommendation.

Guest azflyboy

Thanks a lot for the reply,I had heard the same thing from someone else via E-mail. (i am one of the few students in my HS who know how the Electoral college actually works.) I do try top be respectful of other culturesNationalities and had no problems in GermanyLuxemborg 2 yrs ago so i guess the same thing applies in France as well. I am still trying to decide if I should go because I just found out yesterday that the US pulled out of the show.