Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

Multiple Monitor vs. Single 30" or 40" Videos ?

Greetings,

I'm in the process of obtaining a new custom PC (Jetline) for a secondary location. I've had the Matrox TH2GO for years on 3 19" conventional monitors and have been very satisfied with that set-up. Now, I'm hearing about the value of a single 30" or 40" HDTV in lieu of the triple monitor set up I know there are other posts in this forum with no shortage of comments about which is better.

However, what I'm looking for and unable to find are YouTube demos or comparisons. Are there any video demos available?

I'm also hearing the Nvidia GTX 680 card is capable of handling multiple monitors making additional adaptors (TH2GO) unnecessary please advise any comments

Les Parson

If you have the money, go for one of the Dell 30 inch IPS displays.... State of the art tech and superb visual quality... :Drooling:

Yes, you can run 3 with that card. Keep in mind, a big tv just makes the same old view bigger. With proper placement, 3 screens provide a much greater sense of motion.

Well, I'm sold on the 3-display wrap-around. The immersion is incredible. Got three 27"s. Funny, when I go back to one display, even a large 27" feels like someone closed the curtains on each side of me and I am only getting a little slice of what I am now used to seeing. Let's just say I never got a queasy stomach making a 30 degree turn using one display! :lol:

Having said that, if I was still was a 100% solid FSX user (I am sold on P3D), I would seriously consider one large display (like over 30 inches), as it performs better IMHO with one monitor. But, only if I can get some very high resolutions with that one monitor. 1920 x 1080 on my 27" is right at the cut-off for me as the larger the display you are more apt to see the individual pixels. Just depends on how close you will have the display from your eyes. My wrap is around two feet from me - just about right.

So why then did I not go with higher res 27" displays. Several reasons:

1) cost (approx $1,000US vs. $3,000US for higher res),

2) added performance load on the CPU - a lot more work to push all those extra pixels. Might have to turn down settings which counters the realism effect I am trying to achieve.

3) with a wrap-around you really only concentrate on the center display while the outer two are meant for peripheral views and immersion. Could not justify the added costs for something I am not really looking at. Depends on your budget.

4) Added bonus - I just discover there are actual other video games out there other than flight simming, ha! And take advantage of Eyefinity and Surround. Dusted off my old copy of Dirt3 and tried her out using my yoke as the steering wheel. What a hoot! Made for some fun, mindless gaming.

Very subjective. Don't think one way is better than the other. I would ask some with large displays what they like about theirs and what are the drawbacks.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

4) Added bonus - I just discover there are actual other video games out there other than flight simming, ha! And take advantage of Eyefinity and Surround. Dusted off my old copy of Dirt3 and tried her out using my yoke as the steering wheel. What a hoot! Made for some fun, mindless gaming.

Very subjective. Don't think one way is better than the other. I would ask some with large displays what they like about theirs and what are the drawbacks.

Clutch

LOL! Yes there are other games. It's those other games that clearly show the disadvantages of using a tv for gaming. IMO, the only place the tv's beat out a monitor is the native contrast ratio. In the world of FS, where 30fps is considered very good, there differences are not as apparent.

Another three monitor question.

Can you use Trackir with three monitors? Is it of any advantage or is it a hindrance?

Ive got 3x asus 25" monitors using gtx680 card. Unfortunetly even using kostas guide, at night with thunderstorms using REX and PMDG NGX Im still getting down to 5FPS. Im now rethinking to go back to a single IPS monitor. Has anyone here been successful getting good performance across 3 screens?

Kacper Nowotynski

Mike - TIR works and is an advantage with 3 screens. However -

Kacper - Triple screen mode does cost you FPS. If you were to use 3 computers though, it probably doesn't.

See my earlier note in this thread - I have no intention of adding any more 30" monitors.

Regards

Frank Jones

If you have the money, go for one of the Dell 30 inch IPS displays.... State of the art tech and superb visual quality... :Drooling:

You can also look at the HP Zr30w which can often be found for cheaper than the Dell. (this is what I got!)

.... use to run 3X22" 1680x1050 on a Triplh2go 560Ti , didn't like this setup at all .... moved to 42" Plasma 1920x1080 + one 15" Widescreen for my instrument, run full screen most of the time, though lost the " Angle" & maybe some quality, but I will never look back .... (Gain back some Frames as well) .

Yair :dance: :dance:

Most of you guys probably know but these yamakasi catleap q270 LED 27" 2560X1440 are a real bargain. These are the same screens that apple uses but did not pass apple quality. I have one of these screens at my work and it has a single bad pixel.

Kacper Nowotynski

Most of you guys probably know but these yamakasi catleap q270 LED 27" 2560X1440 are a real bargain. These are the same screens that apple uses but did not pass apple quality. I have one of these screens at my work and it has a single bad pixel.

Agreed.....but I am not a fan of 16:9

I spent the extra and got a 30" 16:10 @ 2560 x 1600

.. came back from the AOPA , had a chance look on the motion Sim with 5 23" Monitors setup, I think it's made by PFC .... this is awesome panoramic setup, just perfect !!!

Yair

If 42 inches of awesomeness is good, 3 x 40" LED should be awesomer! (I created a new word). The width and height of a 42" unit is a kin to the size of windshield. Thus immersive. My brain tells me immersion = real estate. The side views create a sense of motion. A set up like that would be more for nap of the earth flying, helicopters and bush planes. I do not think at 30,000 ft triple monitors would be worth it. Tubeliners = one large quality unit (like a 30" Dell / HP). Bush flying low = 40" + triple head. What say you? Anyone using 3 X 40" + TV's?

.... use to run 3X22" 1680x1050 on a Triplh2go 560Ti , didn't like this setup at all .... moved to 42" Plasma 1920x1080 + one 15" Widescreen for my instrument, run full screen most of the time, though lost the " Angle" & maybe some quality, but I will never look back .... (Gain back some Frames as well) .

Yair :dance: :dance: