Sign in to follow this  
Gizmo05

Which is better REX or AS2012

Hi Everyone,

I have a question that has been in my mind. Which is better for weather and textures. REX or AS2012? I already have Opus and is outstanding.Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Gandy,

Thank you for your reply. May i ask you how did you set your weather system and textures?

Well, I have to say that I used AS2012, Rex and now OpusFsx. As a weather engine, OpusFsx is the best by far.

For the cloud textures, I use REX essentials.

Jos

OPUS FSX. Enough said.

Can any owners of "Opus FSX" post some videos of this software in use during an FSX flight so we can all see how much better it is compared to AS2012 or REX? I'm quite happy using REX E for textures and FsWxLite as the weather engine. A combination that gives me very realistic weather situations. Is Opus FSX really worth the $ 44.95 they are asking?

Opus FSX really worth the $ 44.95 they are asking?

Probably, if you want all the camera view options and the other items it has, For just weather?. It wasn't for me. I much preferred As2012 on my networked computer and REX textures on the sim. This, of course is JMO.

Hi Squawkident.

Just found this video on youtube of a flight using OpusFSX Live Weather Engine: Clouds, clouds and more clouds.

Here's one with the Dynamic Head Movement: Short Trip Gran Canaria with Prepar3D Mooney Acclaim

Thanks for links. Yes have seen the Gran Canaria vid. THe 737 vid looks nice but that is nothing I can't achieve with my free FsWXLite and Rex Textures. I'm not going to pay $44.95 to have the cockpit shake around a bit. I can do that for free with TrackIR and a wobbly chair...:)

AS2012 all the way. Personally do not care for REX textures but lots of people really like them. Not impressed with Opus.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

and a wobbly chair

LOL. Unfortunately I don't have a wobbly chair, but you gave me an idea... I'll get my g/f to shake the chair while I'm flying. ^_^

Seriously, I think Opus does look pretty good. Apparently it has the best weather depiction for FSX to date. I don't own EZDOC either, so the Dynamic Head Movement is a nice bonus for me. But hey, each to his own.

Rex for textures and Active Sky Evolution (ASE) for weather. Absolutely!

Stan

REX textures look the best, but AS2012 textures still look great and gives me better system performance. Everybody's already chimed in enough on this, but ultimately, I would stick with Opus for your weather since you already have it (and seems to have a good reputation), and get Rex for textures. Personally I'm quite happy with Active Sky though.

But also, you could consider some freeware textures like HDE v2 or something if all you want is textures. I personally think paying full price for REX or AS is a lot for just textures alone.

I use REX for textures and Active Sky Evo for the weather engine.