Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Costs per pax B757 / B727

I'm wondering if there are standardized measurements for the cost of operating an aircraft per passenger? Kind of the direct costs per the number of pax. The two aircarft I'm trying to compare are the B727-200 and the B757-200. Both are similarly sized as far as the number of pax, although I realize the commanility stops there :). I would assume the 757 is more efficient in direct operating costs (2 flight crew vs 3 for the 727, and more fuel efficiency); however the cost of acquisition would be higher for the 757- so debt payments or leasing costs couls be higher than the 727.Thanks for any info.Bruce.

Guest mikehaska

Hi Bruce,The value you are looking for is called the CASM. This is the Cost of Available Seat per Mile. This factors in operating, lease, fuel, and other such costs and then divides the value over each seat that is making you money. Then, multiply by the length of the flight and you will have the value that you need to charge each passenger to make a profit.Unfortunatly, each airlines' CASM varies because they have different workers contracts and cost structures, so it is difficult to find hard and fast numbers.Here is a link to an interesting discussion about calculating CASM values:http://www.airliners.net/discussions/gener...main/1070165/4/There is also a link to an annual report that may be very useful to you in that thread near the bottom.Hope this helps!

The 757 is a FAR more efficient airplane than the 727 by the way... The high bypass turbofans on the 57 coupled with the better wing design give it a rather huge advantage.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest mikehaska

Yeah, but when coupled with the Stage III improvements and addon winglets, the 727 can provide some cost competition, especially when you consider that there are a lot of 727s in good shape that the majors are trying to unload.Pan Am 3 uses these retrofitted 727s still, and are quite happy with them.Plus, the 727 is one great looking bird! :-)

Thanks Mike and "Tabs",Mike- that's a great reference thread at airliners.net. And thanks for your interpretive comments too.On the issue of the comparible economies of the B752 to the B722: Although the B75 might be more economical from a variable cost standpoint (with more fuel efficient engines and wings; and one less flight crew), there's always a fixed cost component of the "cost of ownership". This could be a lease, loan payment (debt) or just the cost of having your own cash tied up in a newer aircraft. This can be substantial sometimes (although both the 72 and 75 are now somewhat dated, I would consider the 728/9 to be a more modern comparison where that cost of ownership could really be different).Thanks again,Bruce.