Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeaverDriver

"Failures" Problem

Guest BeaverDriver

Good Day All,

Well, I've been flying the MD-11 a bit (new to it) and have done a total of 5 flights in it. I seem to have a bit of a problem with it though, so am hoping I can get some clues here. Before each flight, I click the "Clear" button in the Failures>Edit dialogue box (I've clicked both the "All" section and each individually). Unfortunately I seem to get failures on every flight still. On the last 2 flights, I've only been able to lower the center landing gear. The outboards and nosegear won't come down. I check that my hydraulic pumps are actuated (and they are), but still no go. I do get a brief flash of an orange "HYD FAIL" (I believe that's what it says, but it's only on for a second) on the ED but the OH panel doesn't show anything as being off or as failed.

Now I generally get more than one failure, but the gear now has happened in both cases. The lights remain red (except for the centre truck, as I say), and I get the sweet voice of I TRIED TO USE A PROFANITY HERE - AREN'T I STUPID!in' Betty informing me of impending disaster, but I can't seem to do anything about it. I'm using Tutorial 1 for the checklist at this point. Now I've never completed Tutorial 1 because the first time I tried to fly it, my throttles wouldn't work (that was discussed elsewhere and determined likely to be a bad load at that point).

I have, Win 7-64, FSX Gold, and FSUIPC (registered). Anyone with any ideas on this please?

Thanks much!

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Maybe you have a bad installation and you give a reinstallation a try. If this doesn't help you maybe want to reinstall FSX too (it's pain in the &@($*, but it maybe works). If you reinstall FSX, don't install it in C:/Programms, maybe create a folder like C:/FSX or something similar.

Best regards

Jonathan

Guest BeaverDriver

Thanks Jonathan. Not sure I'll reinstall FSX as this is the only airplane I'm having trouble with, but I may install the MD-11 again if necessary. Had a good flight last night though, and I'm checking to see if maybe there is an add-on that I'm running which may be causing some problems. Hopefully that's all it is. I currently have FSX installed on a separate drive now, so I'm good that way.

Appreciate the feedback :smile:.

I don't want to be rude, but to me a recurring error in one system like that sounds like it may be a pilot error, have you flown the MD-11 tutorials? Did they work out for you?

Have you turned off the random failures or checked the rate at which they occur? Maybe you have a failure for every 2 hours of flight.

Guest BeaverDriver

@Johan - nope you aren't being rude at all :). It's a good point. I'm flying these flights using the #1 tutorial as a sort of "checklist" to make sure I get all the bases covered. And if this proved to be Pilot Error, that wouldn't surprise me in the least :P . Sure wouldn't be the first time! The first time I tried to fly the #1 tutorial I had my thrust levers (THQ) lock out on me (hadn't applied enough power to activate the A/T's and as one other person pointed out, my oil temps were too low, and suspected a bad load). So I flew other flights but using the Tutorial #1 as a template. I've done several flights since, but with slight variations (see below re the AUX HYD PUMP) and that could easily be my problem. I really don't think it's the airplane now, as others would be reporting similar issues. Thanks Johan, appreciate the idea here. I think I will do the #2 Tutorial soon, which would be a good idea I believe.

---------------------------

@Steven: Yeah, I clicked the "CLEAR" button for the "ALL", then each heading successively just to be sure. Now, I've just done my second consecutive flight with no problems. I really think it's something I may have been doing at this point. One thing I was doing was hitting the AUX HYD PUMP that you engage for setting the trim with, right at the beginning of the cockpit prep check. I wonder if somehow it doesn't like that? On the last 2 flights, I didn't engage it at all, but set my trim after I started taxiing as part of my pre-takeoff check. Both times I had no failures enroute to do with HYD issues. So who knows, but I'll keep working on it.

Now, I need to go back to the manuals and figure out how to disengage the A/T when on final :wacko: ! I thought disengaging the A/P would do that, but based on my last approach or two, maybe not :huh: . A threshold speed of 180 kts when light is a tad high, but my thrust levers aren't having any effect, so I'm missing something somewhere (not including the parts I left on the runway this time :ph34r: !).

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input!

Glenn