Sign in to follow this  
gosta

DirectX9.0a Uninstaller

Could someone kindly inform as to where I can obtain the DirectX uninstaller?Thanks in advance.:-zhelp

There is no way to remove DX from your OS... that's stated in the EULA before you install... If you have an OS which supports System restore you can revert back to a point before you upgraded your DX... why would you want to uninstall? Are you having problems with DX9.0a?

Yes, I am having problems. I just recently bought my winXP and downloaded the DX9.0a. This has caused my system to run a bit slow.I am not an expert and can't explain in detail the reasons for the slowness in graphics.I have read in the forum a while back that there is a DirectX Uninstaller which can remove the DX9.0a from the OS, but cannot find the thread. Please help.Graham:-zhelp

Guest NetBoyz

Hello -- You might try running Windows Update and see if it lists an update to DirectX 9 for WinXP on your system. I'm moving my system from Win98SE to WinXP, and the WinXP Upgrade Advisor indicates that I should install such an update even though I just installed DirectX 9.0a on Win98SE. Perhaps this would also apply to your system. I haven' done this yet so it might turn out to be a red herring, but thought it might help... db

Hello Netboyz,My Dell system is new which came together with the already installed WinXP. It did not have the DirextX 9.0a but the DirectX8.xx. I was stupid to have d/l and installed the DirectX9.0a without acknowledging the potential ramifications.Any other suggestions?Sincerely,Graham:-zhelp

If you have Win XP, simply roll back to a System Restore point before you installed DX9.0a.ChasW

I'm afraid I might lose all my commercial downloads (PSS, Wilco, and other products )I purchased after the DirectX9.0a upgrade.Is there are ways to safeguard these commercialwares before or during the System Restore??Sincerely,Graham:-zhelp ;(

Hi Graham,I've never had to recover from a restore point, but I believe that the restore will only go back to a copy of the registry at that time, I don't believe that it will exclude files that have been saved on your HD since you created the restore point. I guess a question is if you did create a restore point, although sometimes an OS patch will create one for you (I have yet to download and install DX9).I also recall reading about an un-installer for DX9. You might try posting this on the computer hardware forum here at AVSIM (if you haven't already done so).Good luck!Bruce.

Guest DNelson

Bruce,System restore is much more extensive than registry tracking. Any files created by installing applications are fair game, as are Windows system files that applications monkey with. I doubt that anyone would keep data files or downloads in their Windows folder, but if so, they could be zapped by a restore point. Anything stored in the "my documents" (I hate that name) folder is not touched, which is a good reason to keep all your application data files there. I have a separate partition for data files and downloaded files, and in Control Panel I exclude that partition from System restore tracking.Dan

Using Windows XP System Restore will not remove the downloaded files, it will only restore the system to a prior state, ie startup configuration, drivers, etc.To access it go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click on 'System Restore'. From there you will be able to choose the date from which you wish to restore the system.Good luck with the restore :)

Guest DNelson

>Using Windows XP System Restore will not remove the downloaded filesIt's not likely, but it certainly can happen. If the download is a .exe file instead of a .zip, and it's not stored in a folder that's exempt from monitoring, then it will get deleted if it was downloaded after the restore point date that's being used.Dan

Hi Dan,Thanks- interesting info that I did't know about SR.Bruce.

Hi Dan,>If the download is a .exe file instead of a .zip, and it's not stored in a folder that's exempt from monitoring, then it will get deleted if it was downloaded after the restore point date that's being used.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg