Sign in to follow this  
corkery

Crash detection and 3D grass?

I have been getting crashes from more than one aircraft seemingly when they come into contact with 3D grass. Are there issues with random hidden crash boxes? Seems a bit unrealistic to right off an aircraft because you taxi slowly over some grass! The two airfields where this has occurred are OG39 and 2WA1. Anyone else had a problem?

Cheers

Tony C

I use 2WA1 (Diamond Point) all the time, Tony, and have seen no issues with taxying through any parking area or taxyway.. :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I have had a couple of cases, can't remember the locations I'm afraid but one was NZNI, where I've taxied off to one side of a strip only to have my aircraft (a light single) sink into the ground as if it were quicksand. A frustrating end to a long flight.

Why don't you get a screengrab of the point of crash and submit it to the support forum? I know that unprovoked crashes try our patience and a screengrab was not my first instinct when it happened to me but I'll try and get one if it happens again.

My only real knowledge of this effect is in Train Simulator where objects have invisible "bounding boxes". If these were too large passing clear of other stock or even just coupling to it could cause "a crash". If there was some object other than the grass where this occured could this be a similar effect? I've "collided" with scenery objects before when they seemed well clear to me? In Train Sim there were utilities where you could alter these but I don't know IF this exists in FSX, and if it does how to fix it. In any case a patch for everyone for a problem is more desirable than a DIY fix?

I do have Diamond Point but NZ came out soon after I bought it so I haven't used it much. If you get a screengrab of the location I'll happily try and test it.

BTW what were you flying?

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Milford Sound in NZSI also has this issue somewhere in the middle of the runway right next to the turn into the aircraft parking area.

At Diamond point the Aircraft Factory Albatross D.III twice strayed by inches off the narrow runway and crashed when the wheel touched the 3D grass. At the Lands Inn strip (W49), the Fieseler Storch crashed three times taxing slowly over grass.

Cheers

Tony C

Have you guys reported these issues on the Official forum? It's beginning to look like an issue rather than individual system glitches.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Have had this problem many places, but not at Diamond Point though, but at different airport scenerys not just Orbx. It has bothered me so many times that I have now turned of crash detection, and I usually fly and taxing carefully and know when I crash or not so for me it's not an issue....

But Agree with Geoff, file a report too Orbx Support and I'm sure they look into it.