Sign in to follow this  
tjoey

Long Flights are actually LONG!

There used to be an old DOS- based sim called PS 2, which simulated a B744. I used to have it in the 1990's, but lost touch with it after FS started developing with addon aircraft.

What PS 2 would do, in order to get around the issues of long distance flight and what to do about it was quite interesting. You could advance the flight to any waypoint in the flight plan as loaded in the FMC, and since the FMC knows the time of day, the remaining fuel, altitude etc. at that waypoint from the predictive flight computations, these would be automatically loaded when the chosen waypoint was selected to jump to.

Bruce,

Yeah, If I was simming in the 90's I sure would like to have that option. Flying 12+ hours with the graphics at the time would have made me crazy :lol: Glad I started this hobby with FSX

The 90's start about 3.40 minutes in the video :wacko: "As real as it gets" i imagine simmers discussed at the BBS's at that time too :P

And to the OP, hope you could find some informative info in this thread to help you get through those long hauls, sure been alot of contributions ^_^

Hardy is updating PS1. It actually looks pretty nice. That sim really taught me Boeings so ill have a soft spot for it. Don't know if I'll cough up a couple of hundred again though.

I'll do one long haul (over 3 hours planned cruise) every vacation but since I'm not getting paid or pic time, I have no problems speeding things up.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

This is the biggest difference for me in FSX versus real flying. Because while I love a nice long cross country in real flying, I simply cannot remain motivated to fly a long cross country in FSX.

A sim is never going to get as "real as it gets," certainly not in this regard. Nothing compares to the variations in real world piloting, actually controlling the airplane and looking out the wrap around windows and see the world pass you by. It is awesome! An airplane actually allows you to appreciate the variations in the continental North America -- whether you live in the US or Canada -- as you have to travel a fairly long distance to see those changes and a general aviation airplane gives you perhaps the only opportunity to truly appreciate it in a relative short period of time -- on a factor of about 1/3 the time to drive the same distance.

Ken

After a few years of simming, I got my wife and daughter involved. We agreed on an AC, the Airbus A318 Private Livery, and use our local airport, KPHL, and have weekend "Family Vacations". We choose three legs and fly to and from places we want to visit. Our latest was from KPHL to KMIA and on to KEYW, with a direct return to KPHL. We also do the West Coast and Europe (Paris, Frankfurt and Heathrow). We have plans for Denver and Dallas also. LAX ,Las Vegas, Seattle and Portland are fun! Our long haul legs are kept within a 4 hour window for each of us. We do want ot try a real long haul like the ones I have flown in real life in the military, such as Sierra Vista, AZ to KSFO and on to Japan or Korea. Or, from Atlanta to Frankfurt.

A sim is never going to get as "real as it gets,"

Don't agree that It cannot get as "real as It gets", but it can never "GET REAL" as It's only a computer simulation and to "get real" we have to get out there and do some real flying. :P

Good post, Kaboki. Like many rw pilots I enjoy FSX as much as anyone, as it offers me the chance to fly anywhere and almost anything that is way beyond my expectations for real flying - even as a passenger! FSX is great for training, especially basic IFR. And it is a great hobby and introduction to real flight for those so inclined.

But "real" it isn't (as much as some might wish it was). I think there is an imaginary line that we all have as to where we think simulation becomes reality, and it may be a different line for different people. As Ken above says, for him he will never cross that line for flight simulation, as he has a real world reference that resets what "real" is.

But that doesn't minimize the fun and community that attracts us all to FSX. And the magic of FSX is that we can either choose or not to do long haul flights at real time.

Thanks, Bruce.

After a few years of simming, I got my wife and daughter involved. We agreed on an AC, the Airbus A318 Private Livery, and use our local airport, KPHL, and have weekend "Family Vacations". We choose three legs and fly to and from places we want to visit. Our latest was from KPHL to KMIA and on to KEYW, with a direct return to KPHL. We also do the West Coast and Europe (Paris, Frankfurt and Heathrow). We have plans for Denver and Dallas also. LAX ,Las Vegas, Seattle and Portland are fun! Our long haul legs are kept within a 4 hour window for each of us. We do want ot try a real long haul like the ones I have flown in real life in the military, such as Sierra Vista, AZ to KSFO and on to Japan or Korea. Or, from Atlanta to Frankfurt.

Is this the post of the century?! :drinks:

May I ask what they do? Do they act as FO's? Do you guys switch legs on who will fly.

I been with my girlfriend for over 4 years now. I do not think she has even seen flight simulator on yet :lol: I keep telling her that she will have to watch a short haul flight in the NGX like MIA-NAS or something. Doubt she would want to see what it takes for a long haul! Guess the company would be good. But now with FS2CREW she might think I am insane for talking to my computer. :P