Sign in to follow this  
Anthony1968

Reality XP GNS 430 ......Opinions

I hope this is the correct forum, I was considering posting in the AVSIM Flight school forum but opted for here instead.

My finger is almost on the button to purchase the Reality XP GNS 430 for the Realair Lancair Legacy. I've been rooting around the forums for threads related to this add-on and I find a few people have issues with the fact that it doesn't import FSX flight-plans. A few others have commented that although it has a lot more features than the default GPS they are rarely if ever used and is therefore not a necessary upgrade.

The main reason I am interested is I am led to believe I can create a flight plan on the GPS itself, something I can't do on the default system, or at least I can't find a way to do so.

Another issue I have the apparent complexity in installing the GPS into aircraft panels, I'm not afraid to do a bit of tinkering but get a bit worried when I'm not familiar with what I am doing, instructions or otherwise.

So what do people think? I am most interested in the views of people that already use the Reality XP system.

The Reality XP gns family is fantastic. It's one of the best addons ever for flight sim.

Everything you can do in a real 430 or 530 you can do in the RXP units.

Yes you can create a flightplan right in the gps.

Don't hesitate anymore!

Cheers

Lee

Oh and usually you can find other people who have already installed it in their planes. It is easy once you get the hang of it to do it in notepad.

Lee

Remeber though, your NavData will be old from the start, the last AIRAC I think is for March 2010.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Remeber though, your NavData will be old from the start, the last AIRAC I think is for March 2010.

There is an update procedure to 611. But yes, it would be nice to keep current but I have had no issues with GA aircraft.

RealityXP is first rate. I wouldn't have any other GPS, but they seem, really, a little lazy about keeping things up-to-date. They should offer database updates and by now they should have had their products ready for Prepar3D and X-Plane 10.

Yes I tend to agree there. Obviously it would be great to be able to use Navigraph or Aerosofts LIDO but it's probably a lot different then making those for other addons.

I think it's database is off the Garmin trainer too right? So it would only update if Garmin updated that and I don't think that will happen

Lee

The actual 530/430 isnt being produced by Garmin anymore, there is noway ANYONE can update those databases, which is to bad.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Support from the developer is virtually non existent

David Porrett

This is a really worthwhile upgrade, if you would like a RW flight experience.

RealAir make it easy to install and integrate this unit into the Lancair.

Lots of user support if you should have questions - one of the best purchases I ever made in FSX!

After installing it, I would update the navdata to June 2011. This is a free upgrade and is not hard to do if you follow the instructions.

http://www.simforums...garmin-trainers

BTW..once you get used to this GNS unit in the Legay, you can start thinking about installing it in other aircraft... like

Bert

The RXP GNS 430 is a great buy! I have it installed on all of my Carenado and Captain 727 aircraft. It really adds to the immersion. I use the GNS 430 in Real world ifr/vfr ops, the RXP unit without a doubt operates like its real world counter part. RXP recently released a nav data update. Buy it, you won't regret it!

Justin Fletcher

So out of the two units which is best to start of with say for the Lancair, the 430 or 530?

Gavin Price

Looks like I'll be clicking the "buy" button then.

BTW..once you get used to this GNS unit in the Legay, you can start thinking about installing it in other aircraft... like

That's cool.I would love to install it into my Carenado C172 along with an autopilot. I thoroughly enjoy flying the C172 on "touring" flights. I find the Legacy at bit too fast when I'm feeling leisurely.

However, the Legacy's IFR capabilities along with the GNS 430 will be a complete package.

Thanks for tips everyone.

Anthony,

"Looks like I'll be clicking the "buy" button then."

Good choice!

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

So out of the two units which is best to start of with say for the Lancair, the 430 or 530?

For the lancair the 530 because larger screen. The 430 seems to fit most older planes (the ones where you have to do the panel edits) but both 530 and 430 natively fit into many recent addon GA planes.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That's cool.I would love to install it into my Carenado C172 along with an autopilot. I thoroughly enjoy flying the C172 on "touring" flights. I find the Legacy at bit too fast when I'm feeling leisurely.

Ooops... the Carenado 172, unfortunately has some 3d radio buttons that cannot

be removed. Now, you can still have the GNS in a popup window - for those leisurely

flights, but not in the radio stack..

Bert