Sign in to follow this  

Thank you TechguyMaxC,

did it with Coolaboratory, now I wish that my MSI Z77A G43 would give me more V´s, I could go higher than 4.8 Ghz (HT off) !

You're welcome! I think Ivy tends to hit a brick wall right around 4.9-5.0GHz though so even if you could give it more voltage you won't get much further. 4.8GHz is plenty fast. When paired with fast RAM you're matching a 5.1GHz Sandy Bridge in FSX performance.

Ahh, the RAM-Speed will be the limiting factor ? I have 1600-Corsair but in the benchmarks I get a (more or less) poor 12Gb/s.

Ahh, the RAM-Speed will be the limiting factor ? I have 1600-Corsair but in the benchmarks I get a (more or less) poor 12Gb/s.

Yes, RAM speed will definitely hold back your Ivy Bridge from reaching its maximum potential. My own testing of FSX in FSXMark 11 showed a 10% gain moving from 1600 CL8 to 2133 CL9. I run 2600 CL10 now and while I haven't run FSXMark 11 again, I would expect to gain another 2-3% performance since Ivy Bridge scales nicely up to around 2400MHz.

Ok, the next invest will be 2400 RAM, thank´s again, but is it better to buy 1 8Gb stick that would work in single channel mode or 2 4Gb´s in dual channel are faster ?

You definitely want two sticks. If you run only one stick your system has access to only a single channel and thus only half the bandwidth.

Thanks as ever rob.

Anytime. :smile:

is it better to buy 1 8Gb stick that would work in single channel mode or 2 4Gb´s in dual channel are faster ?

You definitely want two sticks. If you run only one stick your system has access to only a single channel and thus only half the bandwidth.

Here's an AIDA64 comparison I've done...

Btw make sure the sticks are "matched" or it says something like "dual channel kit".

• Upvote 1

Terrific thread, thanks Techguy.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Great Thread TechGuy. I successfully de-lidded my i7 3770K over the weekend, replaced the TIM with Cool Laboratory Liquid Pro, lapped the IHS and the base of my H100. Temps are fantastic. Prior to the mod I would run at 4.7 and flirt with TJMax during stress test and FSX would be in the high 80s. Eventually went to a 4.5 OC to keep temps in check. After the de-lidding I have a rock solid and stable OC of 4.9 with 1.45v and FSX temps never exceed 60. Ran 30 runs of IBT with Max Memory overnight and the max core temp was 88. My goal initially was to keep FSX below 70, and stress test below 90. Very happy with the results. Now its time to see if I can hit the 5.0 mark!

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Please report back, interesting to know if you get it stable @5Ghz with less than 1.50V.

I've decided to go lidless soon with a newer batch, moving my current chip down a notch in the system hierarchy. Hoping for 5.0+ with less than 1.5V

I've decided to go lidless soon with a newer batch, moving my current chip down a notch in the system hierarchy. Hoping for 5.0+ with less than 1.5V

As far as a lid-less configuration what is the best way to lower the height of the Heatsink/Waterblock? I have an H100 now, looking into a real liquid/water cooling system for later, but whats the best way to lower the block to contact the die (and to minimize the risk of cracking/bending/scratching the die).

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

The most important is to be Very careful when mounting the cooler.

Back in the early conroy days intel have a mobil CPU and some vendors make ATX MoBo , Jonah and Merom.

Had a couple of them , have no problems carcking the die or scratches but it tock long time

To align the die for optimal contact often need to reset to get perfect heattransfer

intel-jonah.gif

As you see its a ES hope that find a Haswell ES soon