Sign in to follow this  

There is an issue with video output to certain monitors with many modern monitor/graphics card combinations. Your system may in fact be running and just sitting at a POST screen waiting for you to confirm settings but you just can't see it. I have two new custom built systems in my shop right now with this exact issue. Try another monitor if you can.

And the answer seems to be... it's the board. Tried a 2700k in the slot (found a pretty inexpensive one at MicroCenter - at worst, it'll be insurance). Still no post. Inspected the slot - pins look damaged. So it's going back. Actually, am wondering if I can persuade them to let me switch to a different board - the Maximus V Formula is an awkward fit behind the radiator. Will see. But for the moment at least, the de-lidded Ivy is off the hook. I'll report back when I'm ready to get underway again. Thanks for all the advice and support so far!

Try another monitor if you can

Thanks, good thought, but the video card and monitor already worked well together during a test in my old system. So I don't think that's the issue. The Maximus V Formula has an LED on the board that gives you the error code, and it keeps reporting "memory not detected" (code 55), so that also points to either the CPU or the board... again, will see what a new board does for me now...

Thanks for the pics. I also did the delid thing recently and had at least a 15C cooling advantage. Its not hard to pull off as long as you have a certain level of confidence in working with your hands. I chose to use a non metallic (Antec Formula 7 diamond paste) and instead of lapping just shined up all the surfaces with a scotch pad but only in the direction of the IC. As for the memory - my MSI mPower has problems booting the GSkill 2133 memory if I don't set the XMP profile. Cheers jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Any tips on lapping the block?

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Lapping is not necessary IMO. That's what a good thermal paste is for. It fills all the micro gaps. Also the 3770 die is NOT flat by design. After delidding there will be a tiny gap between the IHS and the CPU IC and you will notice that you can rock the IHC. This will allow for better contact even if the IHC is seated askew a tad. Again - use a non-conductive past like a diamond brand and coat all pieces with a thin layer to ensure coverage and adding an extra thin bead in the direction of the die won't hurt. The TP is doing all the work for you. Cheers jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Glad to know you've got it sorted. See if you can get the Maximus V Gene instead, that's what I ended up going with after I started with an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 board (good board, but not as good with OC'd RAM as the Asus boards).

See if you can get the Maximus V Gene instead...

Funny you should mention the Gene - I started looking at it seriously today when I realized that it'd fit perfectly underneath my radiator/fan combo. I went ahead and reserved one at MicroCenter - I'll pick it up tomorrow and aim to install it Saturday. If I was a sane person, I would have waited for an RMA from ASUS. But I'm not a sane person, and beyond that, I wasn't encouraged by my ASUS customer service experience (tried for e-mail support, but when the form failed to recognize my serial number it reverted to Mandarin... support chat had a six-hour wait time...). So there I go. There's no flightsim problem that you can't solve by throwing money at it. Or to put a new twist on the old canard about boats - a flightsim computer is a hole next to your desk that you throw money into. Actually I saved a lot on my first two system builds, so I guess this is just about things coming even...

Will advise how it goes with the Gene...

Ok so last night I de-"lidded" my 3770k

What a surprise.. Under full load, max temp fell by whopping 14 degrees running the intelburntest

She now run intelburntest at 4.6 without any strain..!

(Running FSX naturally dont even come close to these stress test temps..)

Oh and I am running with corsair H100 on a Maximus V Formula board with Corsair Vengenge2400 ram.

I am very happy

Untitled1-1.jpg

edit

While playing FSX for about 30 minutes, this is the temps

Untitled2-1.jpg

After exiting FSX. System idle

Untitled3-1.jpg

to be honest I am one happy camper today.!!

EDIT:

Note I have also all cores "unparked"

just one quick question, if i was to de-lid my 3570k, if i use LMU under the IHS, would it be counter productive to use AS5 between IHS and HSF?

I would like to replace the cooler in 6 months or so, and dont want to try prize them apart, or is there another paste i could use would suit both under and on the IHS?

Regards

just one quick question, if i was to de-lid my 3570k, if i use LMU under the IHS, would it be counter productive to use AS5 between IHS and HSF?

I would like to replace the cooler in 6 months or so, and dont want to try prize them apart, or is there another paste i could use would suit both under and on the IHS?

Regards

It would be counter productive. You could use something like IC diamond though as a good compromise. Otherwise you can use the abrasive pad that came withe the LMU to clean up the heatsink when you're done.

OK, reporting back after a LONG weekend under the hood to report that my de-lidded Ivy is fine. So is my EVGA GTX 680 with self-installed Hydro Copper water block. My problems have all had to do with the fact that the Asus Maximus V motherboards are apparently ill-tempered beasts when it comes to recognizing memory. I've managed to get the Gene functioning, but only with single-channel memory and not yet with the OS loaded. I'll open a separate thread to talk about that since I don't want to lead this thread any farther astray than I have already. The relevant good news is that I can tell you that de-lidding an Ivy is perfectly safe as long as you work slowly and carefully, and follow the pictorial guide at the top of this thread. Enjoy your Ivy surgery!

It would be counter productive. You could use something like IC diamond though as a good compromise. Otherwise you can use the abrasive pad that came withe the LMU to clean up the heatsink when you're done.

Thanks max, would the diamond not affect the top of the die?

Paul I heard this question before but don't understand the concern. Yes the diamond paste could abrade the die if under constant movement but once installed there is none. At any rate it has great thermal properties and is non-conducive. Cheers jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz