Sign in to follow this  
A3 610

FSX backup utility?

Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing good!

I would like to ask if there is a back up utility for FSX because i plan to formatting my hdd. Is there a possibility to take the whole FSX main directory with all the add ons and stuff and back it up?

Also, what do you think of this one http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html ?

Thanks again for your time!

Cheers

Use Paragon 2012 myself (free). 6 of one and half dozen of the other I guess.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

With that Paragon you say...can you do the backup like copy/paste with FSX or it just does not work?

I use Acronis which clone your HD (SSD,HD,RAID), so you can restore when ever you want.

Acronis works like something copy/paste? I mean to take the whole FSX directory. But how about the registry and stuff? Anyone?

But how about the registry and stuff? Anyone?

Hello

You will need to do an image backup of the FSX drive if you have FSX on a different disk and also an image backup of the drive where Windows is installed (C:\)

Copy and paste backup will not work as the registration data for your 3rd party addons is usually stored in the registry.

Full image backups are the only truly reliable method

And how to i do that? Its my first time i need to back up FSX or something in general? Any tutorials or you can tell me real quick?

I'm kinda stupid here. Why would one formatt an existing HDD and put the same thing back on it? Sounds like a complicated way of defragging, though effective. :).

Because i am going to change motherboard and the problem is the new chipset it comes with...it wont be recognized on my system so yeah, if i dont want to lose everything i must do a back up or i have to start all over again :P

I see. I have always used separate drives for the sims I have installed so it makes things a little easier/different.Registry is always the issue. Thanks. was just curious.

How about if i put the FSX in an SSD? Will it be better than backing it up the HDD again? I mean it should be faster to load and in general have a better performance no?

How about if i put the FSX in an SSD?

Hello

If you are running Windows 7, then a motherboard swap will not need a reinstall of the Operating system.

It will load the drivers for your new chipset automatically.

If you move your FSX install onto a new SSD then your 3rd party addons will probably become unlicenced as the paths referenced in the registry will be pointing to the wrong drive.

Excuse me sir. I currently have a motherboard with the p67 chipset. I bought a new motherboard with a z77 chipset...as far as i know when you change chipset the drivers and stuff wont be recognized and you will have to reistall everything including windows or not?

I strongly advice to start from scratch changing motherboard is not like changing Hard drive or Graphic card.

First if you have an OM license for windows is not really legal by M$ contract to change such hardware.

Second when you install Windows 7 on a PC a lot of aspect are taking in consideration from the installer and adapted to your configuration.

It's not secure to boot with the same HD you have with the current system.

Even clone a Raid boot installation to an SSD doesn't work perfectly.

There is also some tweaking aspect to do, after you have installed your system, is not only a question of driver for the chipset and motherbord.

Ask to a technical shop what to do and don't waste your time and money.

FSX is really annoying to setup imagine if you start from a wrong situation.