Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Force your brain to "unlearn" graphics quality?

I was thinking of the days when games like Falcon 3.0 looked amazing-- not photoreal but realistic. Now when I see gameplay footage of it, the graphics are just crap and the sound awful. I don't know why or what function in the brain causes us to "upgrade" our view of our surroundings, sounds and memories... but... I wonder if there is a way to mentally "rollback" and undue this? Imagine being able to load up the old classics and look and think of them as you did back when they were released, in amazement.

I would love if there was such a function, to brainwash our brains to go back in to thinking the graphics for computers are good, even if old.

I remember when I was smaller I thought X-Plane 7 looked good, even though now it looks nothing compared to my heavily modified FS2004.

Another great thing would be to forget that FS9 is a folder with files and textures, instead thinking it's "magic" :D

I'm trying to "downgrade" myself to using aircrafts with 2d panels, as there is so many of them compared to VC.

Hah that's true. I remember games that I plaid when I was a child as something really amazing with good graphics. Now when I play them again after long time they mostly feel just boring with some exceptions.

I was thinking of the days when games like Falcon 3.0 looked amazing-- not photoreal but realistic. Now when I see gameplay footage of it, the graphics are just crap and the sound awful. I don't know why or what function in the brain causes us to "upgrade" our view of our surroundings, sounds and memories... but... I wonder if there is a way to mentally "rollback" and undue this? Imagine being able to load up the old classics and look and think of them as you did back when they were released, in amazement.

I was really into Sublogic's ATP--thought the graphics were so impressive back then. I even hacked the program--I did not like that the cities were displayed in yellow, so I changed them to gray. Don't ask me how I did it--that was well before the web took off and I never published what I did. I am not sure how ATP would look to me today--I am sure it would take some getting used to!

John

I am always about the latest in computer innovation however I have a brother that choose to remain frozen in technology time.....he is an avid Sega collector with all the original games and refuses to get into the latest X-Box or Playstation. He is addicted to the original Sega consoles.

Matthew Kane

Janes Apache Longbow.

Classic example. I could have sworn that this was going to be as good as it got. Nothing better. Now, I can't even make out the displays cause it is so "blurry" lol.

Ha, if only. Yes it's so sad looking back at your old favourite games.

I reckon you could unlearn, but the first thing you'd need to do is NOT VISIT THIS FORUM ever again!