Sign in to follow this  
Anthony1968

Advice for beginner on Airbus A321

I have invested in this;

http://www.justfligh...t/a321-jetliner

It's the F-lite version because I want to get familiar with the jet without bogging myself down in too much technicality. I'm migrating from PMDG 737NGX because I don't have the time for the learning curve and I just want to have some fun. Also, I have been developing an increasing interest in the Airbus family and this looks like a good place to start.

My primary query is about the joystick, can somebody recommend a good joystick for this jet, one with (just) enough buttons/axes to replicate the function of the Airbus joystick? Actually, I should point out that I don't want the "twist" function as it confuses my little brain.

Secondly, do any experienced Airbus simmers have any suggestions on good reading material for getting to grips with this aircraft?

*Cough* Sidestick *Cough*. I use a cheap Logitec Attack 3 joystick, think it only cost about €15 or something on pixmania.com for my sidestick, does the job for when I don't feel like using the yoke.

Good reading material; I'd always recommend "The Unofficial Airbus A320 Series Simulator and Checkride Procedures Manual" by Captain Mike Ray.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

*Cough* Sidestick *Cough*

Told you I was a beginner. :unsure:

Thanks for tips.

BTW, how does it feel using the yoke on an Airbus, given that it's not the same as the real thing. Does it really matter at all for simming purposes??? Or do I correctly remember the early Airbus liners had a yoke?

Told you I was a beginner. :unsure:

Thanks for tips.

BTW, how does it feel using the yoke on an Airbus, given that it's not the same as the real thing. Does it really matter at all for simming purposes??? Or do I correctly remember the early Airbus liners had a yoke?

Haha, no bother lol. ^_^

Feels wrong to me, but I'm just probably used to a side stick while flying the AB...

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I should actually make the transition over to the Airbus Family. I am a heavy user of PMDG NGX and Captain Sim 727, 757, 767......

I think it is a good idea to switch over to the Airbus family for a while to get a better understanding of its systems and broaden my knowledge of another line of aircraft.

Question for , What Airbus Family do you have for FSX and like best???

Matthew Kane

Question for , What Airbus Family do you have for FSX and like best???

Have the whole Wilco series, uninstalled them a while ago though, the NGX has me spoiled, but if you check out my sig, you'll see I have a much better one in my hangar at the moment... :biggrin:

Will probably get the Airbus X Extended though when it's released purely to see what it's like though.

Regards,

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Thanks Ró, I am going to shop around this weekend

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Thanks Ró, I am going to shop around this weekend

Cheers

I would like to point out that I am not responsible for the money that you are about to spend. :Worried:

I would like to point out that I am not responsible for the money that you are about to spend. :Worried:

No worries mate....I haven't bought an FSX aircraft since the PMDG NGX. That one has been home for me since it came out. Now I am thinking of taking on some Airbus for a while, clear off my yoke and use my Saitek AV8R for a while (off to the side of course) B)

Cheers

Matthew Kane

It is for cold weather ops, it's just uncombusted fuel being blown out the back of the engine, nothing serious though. Just ensure minimum oil temperature of -40c before the start and note that oil temps will rise slower than normal to begin with and then rise at a sharper rate after that to higher than normal levels.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

It will get even colder then that in cities like Edmonton, Winnipeg, Stockholm Helsinki, etc. Lots of cold weather operations out there.

You live in Winnipeg or Edmonton they even provide a power outlet so you can plug your block heater so your engine block on your car won't crack, This sort of thing is a common sight in parking lots:

block-heater.jpg

Glad I don't live there anymore....

Cheers

Matthew Kane