Sign in to follow this  
Manny

OK..I got my first phase of my cockpit done!

Here you go. I've been wanting to build this for a long time.. and I have been collecting the pieces.. And finally got it together for the first phase.

The Cockpit. (GA and Airliner)

8058153729_25a721083d_h.jpg

8057391378_7d4e58c51d_h.jpg

8057392002_bb14c0f92e_h.jpg

8057391672_7a8cb9299a_b.jpg

8057392391_43dbefbe10_b.jpg

8057391975_2d21234b10_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Looks Great! Similar to mine, multi-purpose.

Looks great, it really does. I particularly like the display out the front window. Could you explain a little of what you use to achieve it?

. I particularly like the display out the front window.

I am not following. Which photo and are you referring to the outside 3 monitor setup?

Manny

Looks amazing!, Goes on my wish list. Is it difficult to set up the 3 monitors? What kind of card do you have and what type of specs are needed to run multiple monitors?

Looks amazing!, Goes on my wish list. Is it difficult to set up the 3 monitors? What kind of card do you have and what type of specs are needed to run multiple monitors?

Not difficult to setup 3 monitor view for FSX anymore.

The 6xx series nVedia card supports 3+1 monitor. 3 monitors with DVI-D or HDMI input can be used. HDMI --> DVI-D cables are cheap that can be had for $10

GTX 670 or GTX 680 would be prefered card. NVedia is a must for FSX. Forget ATI/AMD cards. No good for FSX.

For a new PC Build, a good Ivy Bridge i5 3570K or i7-3770K And Z77 MB build which can be easily OCed to 4.5Ghz with most air coolers out there would be sufficient to run it smoothly with addons. If you already have a 2500K, 2600K or 2700K Sandy Bridge, then that would be good too.. no need to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge.

Looks great! Could you tell us more about the panels and materials you used? :rolleyes:

Cheers

My Prize possession! They work flawlessly and is a solid performer.

Picture oversized, deleted by moderator

Flight Illusions gauges. I custom built that panel cutout using Front Panel Design s/w

You can instead put a 20" or 17" flat screen monitor instead with a cutout for the 8 pack and give a very close to real feel. This is a cheaper option if want.

Looks great! Could you tell us more about the panels and materials you used? :rolleyes:

Cheers

I used a flat hardboard. Initially I was thinking of ordering a 3mm Aluminium panel but that would be too permanent. Instead the hardboard is easy for cutouts and I can remove and replace it with another, if I have new gauges to add. So I like the hardboard option better.

The frame used was a combination of MDF and regular shelf wood planks. The shelf wood plank is actually lighter than the MDFs and I already had plenty of them in my garage so I used it.

I then painted it with a spray paint (in a can 2 pcs) from Lowes of color "Matte grey STONE". This gives a rough texture to the whole thing. This saved me the trouble of using some faux leatherette.

I think got one of those strip LEDs that is very easy to cut to any size you want and install along with a $5 dimmer switch and a 12v power brick. This small low hanging fruit, lifted the whole ambiance for night flying to another level.

LEDs

http://www.amazon.co..._1055398_a1_4_p

12V power Brick

http://www.amazon.co...=I38KNJ0O10DICX

Dimmer switch

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_cp_hi_2

8057391683_b78faf9a77_c.jpg

The equipment/Gauges I have used are the above mentioned Flight Illusions gauges. But you can also simply put a 20" monitor instead and get the Project Majenta or other 6/8 pack gauges for about $100 instead. That was my original intent before I got the FI Gauges.

Then I have the Flight Link TR-1 for Avionics. I got that used. But you can simply go with a set of Go Flight modules. I added a few GF Modules in there.

I then added a couple of Saitek gauges. This is easily modifyable depending on what aircraft I want to fly. I can use it as MP and RP Gauges or ADF and RPM gauge or there are just plenty of options here. This saved me some money from getting those expensive FI Gauges.

I then have the Go Flight MCP Pro and GF EFIS for the PMDG 737NG and 747 and Lvl D 767

I also have a Saitek Yoke and two sets of Saitek Throttles for twin engines.. I have the Saitek Cessna Rudder pedals... its not anchored yet.. WIP.

Working on the switch panel ... That's my next phase. so I can replace or compliment that SAITEK switch panel.

Not difficult to setup 3 monitor view for FSX anymore.

The 6xx series nVedia card supports 3+1 monitor. 3 monitors with DVI-D or HDMI input can be used. HDMI --> DVI-D cables are cheap that can be had for $10

GTX 670 or GTX 680 would be prefered card. NVedia is a must for FSX. Forget ATI/AMD cards. No good for FSX.

For a new PC Build, a good Ivy Bridge i5 3570K or i7-3770K And Z77 MB build which can be easily OCed to 4.5Ghz with most air coolers out there would be sufficient to run it smoothly with addons. If you already have a 2500K, 2600K or 2700K Sandy Bridge, then that would be good too.. no need to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge.

Thanks for the advice, again great pics!

Phase II - Starting out. Knobs and Switches. Proof of concept done..it works! B)

I have some of the components. I am learning the hardway... that there don't seem to be much standards for PCB Boards. I have some switches that have nuts where I have to simply drill a hole on a panel..push the on/off switch handle from the back and then put a nut over it and hold the switch in place. Behind , I have to solder two or three wires from the switch to the I/O Board like my BU0836X.

But I have a few rotary knobs... some expensive ones.. like the Dual rotary with a push button (for the Garmin G1000 that I have in mind) don't have this nut thingi... so it needs to be placed on a PCB board of sorts. But it doesn't fit the standard Breadboard structure you can buy at Radio Shack.

I have the same problem with those tiny square push buttons you see here. Not sure how to mount them. Those push buttons were meant for the G1000 buttons at the bottom row...10 of em and for the GPS Direct to, Menu, FPL, Ent etc....for the Garmin G1000 MFD.

8074595304_e8661e9652_b.jpg

Thanks for the info! :-) That's a decent amount of money you had to spent, but from what I can see it was worth it.

What software do you use in the background to put all the things together and get the data out of the FlightSimulator and back in?

Cheers

Phase III - Enclosed Cabin So I do not see my room in my peripheral Vision. Thinking and Idea Stage only at this time.

I like this one the most so far..Thanks to Youuuuu Toobe!

The Cockpit. (GA and Airliner)

Manny, that set up is hot. Great job, enjoy

Thanks for the info! :-) That's a decent amount of money you had to spent, but from what I can see it was worth it.

What software do you use in the background to put all the things together and get the data out of the FlightSimulator and back in?

Cheers

You know...except for the Flight Illusion gauges... that cost me about 3K, I did not spend much if you think about it. I paid a carpenter $450 to put that contraption together over 2 days. Go Flight modules etc I bought em over a 5-6 year period. I have the 4th monitor (Touch screen) for the G1000. I could have not used the FI gauges at all ..instead put the 4th monitor to run the gauges instead. That would have cut down the budget a lot.

And no additional software used other than FSX and the drivers that came with the hardware... for FI Gauges and TR-1 avionics and Go flight modules and Saitek stuff.

It all runs on one PC.

But I was thinking of using Wide FS running a second PC to have side window views.. LOL :)

I am not an engineer and I had no clue how to connect a swtich and what not... ...until I found this

http://www.radioshac...oductId=3814337

:lol:

It gave me the basics of how to wire a 5volt power to light up an LED with a resister and learned about single pole and dual pole and single throw and dual throw and momentary switches!

I enjoyed the learning part of it more than anything.

Now if only I know how to use the freeware custom PCB design software that I have, I can build my own custom PCB board to fix all those heterogeneous switches and knobs that I have, Sigh!

http://www.expresspcb.com/

Manny

Great looking 'pit.

For your cabin, check out Sim Samuarai. Some basic cockpit designs there you can buy plans for (or buy the whole thing ready to build as kit even). I've been thinking about doing the AX1 when I get to that point:

http://www.simsamurai.com/?page_id=32

I checked out Sim Samuarai. It seems a tad outdated. The The AX1 seems a little too big. But still could pick up some ideas from one of their builds. Maybe.,. I'll check them out more later by getting their DVDs.

Manny

I have ordered this... Looking forward to test it out. So a small modifications to my cockpit is going to be necessary. I hope its good

This is not mine... This is just a prototype they were doing.. Now they have it for sale.

http://www.desktopav..._2450/index.htm

img0001.png

I plan to hook up the Reality XP G530. Now I need to modify panel.cfg of the Gauge to remove the bezel from the Realty xp G530.

Will post here how it goes

I considered the emuteq G530..but that costs $1000 this one is around $200. So worth a try.

Manny

Wow, very nicely done setup. What scenery/location are the first to pics located at?

Wow, very nicely done setup. What scenery/location are the first to pics located at?

The first one is Fly Tampa's Kai Tak.

The second one is FSDTs KLAX

The third one is Katalina Airport (Aerosoft's LA City). I love the Katalina airport. That alone is worth the price.

Manny

Yes, the emuteq is looks to be fantastic quality and build but the price reflects that...this is a great find though, especially at this price point!! Please do let us know how you like it with the RealityXP 530. Look forward to your updates on the build. Thanks!

IF you are planning to get that from Desktop Aviator and you already have Reality-xp 530,

Here is the gauge for Reality-XP without the bezel. Just the screen. This should give you one additional Panel. This leaves the Reality-xp 530 panel untouched . so if you place your mouse on the VC screen of your 530 and click you would get the reality-xp 530 with the bezel. Just go to View --> Instrument Panel and see another gauge listed... for the one without the bezel.

In your Panel.cfg. within the aircraft folder, You have to add two sections. if you alreadfy have Window04, then use the last number+1 for Windowxx.

[Window Titles]

Window04=Reality XP GNS 530 WAAS - Manny

[Window04]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=83,46

position=7

visible=1

ident=15532

window_size= 0.260, 0.300

window_pos= 0.740, 0.000

zorder=99

gauge00=rxpGNS!GNS530, -24,-6,129,71

OK.. Guys.. I got this unit today from Desktop Aviator and I did a quick connect and test. I just programmed the Rotary knobs... Outer and Inner knobs and the push (Cursor) thats it for now to work with Reality XP using FSUIPC. And I am loving it. I have a couple of knit picks but nothing major. And the quality of the monitor is unbelievable... Its bright and very very clear.. I don't remember the real Garmin 530 unit this clear.. LOL :)

8159148660_f0d2ff0736_c.jpg

8159148492_b540b77234_c.jpg

A couple of nitpicks

1) The VGA connector/cable is in the bottom instead of to the back. Which means, it extends beyond the GPS profile... at the bottom. Unless I can get a low profile L shaped VGA connector.

2) The GPS Button labels are hard printed...but its for the FSX GPS.. There are two buttons that are different than whats in the real Garmin G530. There is no TERR in the realityXP G530 instead there is a VNAV and the same thing with the NRST button where it ought to be CDI. But I can always put a label over it.. not a big deal

3) The buttons are small and round. Wish it was slightly bigger and flatter... another small nit pick.

4) I had a 4th monitor... A 19" touch screen which I now have to sacrifice for this... If this was an USB monitor instead of a VGA, it could have worked better maybe.... I contacted Bobby at Desktop Aviator and he explained to me that it would cost lot more for him to use an USB monitor. So I totally understand.. Except I would have been prepared to pay the extra cost. Oh well. And also it may have taken a performance hit maybe?

5) The front plate is not metal..its some kind of plastic... Its ok.. not a big deal unless you are going to be throwing it across your room.. It probably helps keep the cost down.

But boy oh boy for $225 this is a steal I tell ya... I am glad I got this.. Remember guys, The Saitek panel costs $125.... to display one instrument. So this is a real steal if you ask me. I used to use the Go flight RP48 + the P8 to program the G530.. calculate that cost.. ($300) and compare with this.

If you don't want the monitor they have a another model that comes without a monitor and its a lot cheaper.

Now, I have to modify the cockpit to fit this in. It would fit into a Go Flight box except it takes up around 2.5 of the typical go flight module. see how I have it set up on the go flight box. it fits left and right but not vertically. But this shouldn't be a problem for a custom cockpit.

MAnny

PS: I am so freaking Excited with this unit.. I can't tell you how much... I have a real Garmin G530 ....Woot Woot Woooooooot! :P