Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

Microsoft has announced an update to Flight

Make sure you reinstall Flash and Java when goong IE8->IE9

Regards

Morten Steen

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

23.png

If these guys can't even figure out how to put an update through a server I think we can forget about any other bug fixes...

Not going to happen.

Well to be fair, even when there was a full team they had problems pushing things through the server and I am loathe to assume that the whole team was comprised of incompetents. I am going to to put forth the more likely scenario that the GFWL servers simply suck.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I am not sure what the update would do for me anyway as I have never had a problem with Flight. Sometimes an update can just cause more problems. Such as this switch from IE8 to IE9. I had no problem before the change, now I do. I don't like 9 at all, that is why I have stayed away from it for this long. Guess I will have to try some of the other browsers listed. What would people here recomend?

Firefox. Changed over years ago and it`s the best. Tried Chrome and Opera as well but it`s FF for me.

People are still using "Internet Exploder"... Amazing.

Chrome, all the way, unless you like slow!!!!

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have been only intermittently flying in flight recently and this was a good excuse to dig back in a bit. Boy, this thing pretty much screamed potential.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yes Devon, it did / does... I flew a complete circle and ended back with MS FLIGHT being still my preferred flightsim.

I quited MS FLIGHT when it's fate was announced. Stupidly the same day I uninstalled it I bought FSX Gold from GFWL. Installed it and soon recalled what made me give up using it long ago.

Next I invested seriously in X-Plane10. I am still "supporting" that platform, and believe it can have a bright future provided the small team behind the scenes drives it the right way... There are limitations that are somehow showstoppers for me in that sim though :-(

I kept polling this forum daily, and built a growing need to share the pleasure of finding the AOTD, flying a mission, feeling the immersion of using MS FLIGHT. Meanwhile I started looking at both Aerofly FS and DCS p-51.

A couple of days ago I bought Aerofly FS from Steam, and I had a DLC for MS FLIGHT there too, so, I installed back MS FLIGHT from Steam. I never really even had installed Steam ( just to get the p-51 I bought from them... but uninstalled right away...) I can say that I am really glad with the very clean, fast and easy platform Steam offers!!!

After a few very enjoyable "flights" in AeroFly FS I saw a message - "...achieved / unlocked.." Whow! How I missed those words, and the use of MS FLIGHT, so...:

1) I back playing MS FLIGHT for the AOTD, and a few missions. MS FLIGHT is still my preferred sim.

2) I am enjoying Aerofly FS, specially the gliders, the immersive weather effects, and the secenry too, the flight dynamics (can only talk for the gliders...). It's a perfect complement for MS FLIGHT - it offers an alternative scenery area, and aircraft too :-). It is as easy to play as MS FLIGHT!!!!

3) I am seriously considering DCS-p51, for the accuracy of the flight & systems models in it. What keeps me away is the military side, which I really do not like :-/

4) X-Plane10 is a very good simulation platform yes, but it needs attention from the Devs as soon as possible. I start it for croswcountry flights between airfields in Portugal and Spain, using RW Weather and FSBUILD for flight planning (I had it from the MSFS days...).

5) The two biggest mistakes along the circle... Buying FSX Gold, and even having invested in X-Plane10 - if it wasn't for the money I payed for the Global version, I would not be using it at all... not because it isn't a great sim with lots of potential, but rather because I should have identified the true reasons why I fell in love for MS FLIGHT, and now AeroFly FS too - maintenance simplicity, immersion, great sceneries and flight dynamics...

The sim I start the most, now every day, even if on that one, is MS FLIGHT!

I really love this sim!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Welcome back from the dark side.

I haven't touched my FSX Gold since the weekend I installed it . I can see myself uninstalling it soon.

I always tend to blink when people say they have uninstalled x because they have switched to y. As cheep as storage is nowadays, it always seems more of a statement than a necessity. What stops a person from having multiple sims and switching according to their mood?

Devons rig

I always tend to blink when people say they have uninstalled x because they have switched to y. As cheep as storage is nowadays, it always seems more of a statement than a necessity. What stops a person from having multiple sims and switching according to their mood?

Yes, I certainly do agree. Why create artificial limits?

I haven't touched my FSX Gold since the weekend I installed it . I can see myself uninstalling it soon.

But.....................Flight won't get you anywhere close to "Monument Valley". I was just there (RL), last week.

I like sitting on the deck, and watching the sun rise, while sipping coffee.

FSX has a number of warts, but it has one major advantage, not including the fact that you can fly any aircraft you want anywhere you want in the entire world.

FSX can be modded.

That shiny new payware aircraft you just bought has some bizarre flight characteristics? One or more gauges read off the scale during normal operations? Unless these things are locked up in a DLL file, you can fix them yourself. Want to replace a useless ammeter with the digital clock and outside air temperature gauge from the default Cessna 172? Two lines of code to change in the panel.cfg file. Need an extra gauge to monitor things that aren't displayed? In my case I wanted an angle of attack indicator, so I wrote one and added it to the aircraft, along with a bunch of other information for flight testing and performance. A couple of my aircraft have an added digital display of the AoA on the air speed indicator as well, a simple addition.

If there was one thing that I sorely missed in Flight, it was the ability to fix and add things. Not that there was a lot that needed fixing in Flight, but imagine being able to tweak the rudder trim so that you can remove the left turning tendency without having to use asymmetrical fuel loads: just change the rudder trim effectiveness from 1.0 to 0.2 and you have fine control. Easy in FSX; impossible in Flight.

Flight has a few major advantages over FSX. Flight models, graphics, lighting and more. And for some reason, while I can put any aircraft down directly on the center stripe in Flight in pretty much any wind condition, I have been unable to duplicate this in FSX if there is any crosswind at all.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Ok, now I started using Firefox as my browser. We will see how that works out. I was having just one problem after another with IE9. Anyway, I go back to FSX Gold every once in a while for a visit but always end up back home to MSFlight. I will work my way more into AeroflyFS as time goes by also. Play it again Sam, yes I know that was not really the line, but I like it.

Flight won't get you anywhere close to "Monument Valley". I was just there (RL), last week.

Heh!! Funny you should mention that. I was just there in FSX last week. Ship Rock is recognizable, the rest not so much.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

because I should have identified the true reasons why I fell in love for MS FLIGHT, and now AeroFly FS too - maintenance simplicity, immersion, great sceneries and flight dynamics...

The sim I start the most, now every day, even if on that one, is MS FLIGHT!

I really love this sim!

+1 jcomm !

I kind of went through a sim-ilar journy with some of the sims out there. Aerofly FS was a very pleasant suprise and we should be supporting it. But I still use Flight the most. Thankfully we have the Alaska Pack to provide enough projects to keep us going for a long time to come.

FSX has a number of warts, but it has one major advantage, not including the fact that you can fly any aircraft you want anywhere you want in the entire world.

FSX can be modded.

it's the warts that get me. Having FSX on my hdd just makes me want to spend my time getting rid of warts.

Well said, in a way I can understand. Luckily for me, years of experience with FSX has given me a leg up on how to avoid (most) warts from the start.

Devons rig