Sign in to follow this  
albovituy

Chicago City in 3D - Back?

Hello guys, before you say anything, allow me to say a few things. I'm Alex, the guy who was doing a project which was Chicago 3D for Flight Simulator (as seen at http://forum.avsim.n...d/page__st__100 ) but these last 2 years have been to much time-consuming to me due to studies and even when I had a little time I preferred enjoying it and resting than being doing models and finishing up with no resting.

However, this year things have become better since my studying demands are lighter therefore I have more free time and I went to Chicago last month, which amazed me even more than my trip in 2008 (the one that inspired me to start this project) with all those buildings (mainly Trump Tower and Aqua Tower!) that I started to consider finishing up this project. At first I was afraid you might be mad at me due to my instability on posting here, but then I received an email asking me if I could finish it up and decided to post here if you would like me to finish this project.

The project would still be, as said previously on the "old" topic, freeware and to develop my skills. If you want so, I'd like someone to tell and explain me (expert preferred :P ) the exporting from 3dsmax to FSX, some things may have changed since last time I exported models to FS.

Thanks for your attention and once again, sorry for my instability on posting here! :unsure:

Hi Alexander:

Good to see you working on Chicago City 3D again ! :smile:

You may recall I believe your production quality is already better than other scenery released for Chicago thus far. :wink:

http://forum.avsim.n...75#entry1747436

It would certainly be an outstanding contribution to the FS Community if you were to release this package as freeware; however it represents both very fine quality work, and a VAST amount of work for which you could be compensated and thus more able to travel (...and perhaps do research for future FS sceneries !).

IMHO, if you made this a payware package, it would sell well. :Idea:

If you wish to fine tune aspects of the FS 3D Scenery modeling and export process, I would recommend vising the FS Developer Forums:

http://www.fsdevelop...isplay.php?f=91

I'm confident that many of us will be looking forward to more news on this project as your time permits ! B)

GaryGB

thanks for the update. I always wondered what became of your project.

scott s.

(just a remark Gary, my name is Alexandre, not Alexander :P no problem anyway, must be easier to pronounce it like you did eheh)

Well, thank you so much for the compliment! If I remember it right, that product was made simply by exporting google earth's 3D cities to a flight simulator compatible format, which demands little artistic effort. For a city like Chicago, so beautiful, one must have attention to details, even more nowadays there are so many (extra/addons) cameras and ways to look at city sceneries! B)

I always said since the begining it would be freeware so it's going to be. However next projects may be payware, I don't know - it will depend on how successful Chicago will be (because there's the modeling but then the worst part, fixing all the little problems and creating night maps :rolleyes: ).

Scott I'm once again sorry for having been away. This week I should be getting all the needed material and maybe sat/sunday I'm already modeling ^_^

(just a remark Gary, my name is Alexandre, not Alexander :P no problem anyway, must be easier to pronounce it like you did eheh)

Well, thank you so much for the compliment! If I remember it right, that product was made simply by exporting google earth's 3D cities to a flight simulator compatible format, which demands little artistic effort. For a city like Chicago, so beautiful, one must have attention to details, even more nowadays there are so many (extra/addons) cameras and ways to look at city sceneries!

[EDITED]

Hi Alexandre:

Good to see you working on Chicago City 3D again ! :smile:

[END_EDIT]

[EDITED]

If you wish to fine tune aspects of the FS 3D Scenery modeling and export process, I would recommend visiting the FS Developer Forums:

http://www.fsdevelop...isplay.php?f=91

[END_EDIT]

Actually, visual presentation the "other" Chicago product in question is much worse when seen close up.

Those are NOT objects from the 3D warehouse, but IIUC apparently instead, "pillars" of FS terrain mesh with tiles of poor quality textures positioned in front of them in 3D space (presumably to represent images of the buildings as seen from a distance from outside the "no fly zone" now imposed by USA Homeland security at former Mayor Daley's request). :blush:

Again, I'm confident that many of us will greatly appreciate having your Chicago scenery in FS when it is released ! B)

Keep up the great work ! :smile:

GaryGB

Here it is the section I've been working this night. The 340 on the Park is a really fun building to make it in 3D, one of the most interesting models I've done so far ^_^

S2A.jpg