Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

DA Piper Cheyenne work with Win7x64 ?

Morn'n Folks,

Working on getting my new build up to speed... Loaded up one of may favorite aircraft of all time but now I have a problem... While I'm pretty familiar with the plane - I haven't used it in a while... For my test - I left everything at "defaults" for service pack 4 on the Cheyenne... All the gauges seem to work - however - I can't seem to capture the GPS NAV source to drive the autopilot... I have an active flight plan loaded up in the Trimble - I have the NAV/GPS switch set to "GPS" - and - the HSI is showing the proper deflection for the active flight plan programmed in the GPS... I have the autopilot on with "HDG" and "ALT" selected - I press the NAV button on the autopilot - the NAV capture mode lights illuminate on the indicator... I steer my heading bug for a decent intercept angle on my flight plan - as the plane meets the intercept point - the NAV lights go out and only the "HDG" light stays illuminated and the plane just follows the heading bug... Anyone have this issue or have this plane operational on Win7 x64... LOL - please tell me I can use this plane on my new build...

:)

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I have it on my machine with no problems. I had some problems with radar, but was able to activate with the mouse wheel. I think the sound is out of sink with the engines. These are the only problems I have experienced.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for taking the time - so you can use the autopilot to fly a flight plan off the Trimble ??? Hmm - maybe I'm just doing something wrong - I'll give it another shot... Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

PS: Forgot to mention that the autopilot works fine when navigating off of VOR signals or ILS Approach systems - the only time I have an issue is when attempting to use the GPS for navigation... Maybe I should just try swapping out the Trimble for the RXP unit - as - that's my end game anyway...

If/when you sort it all out Scott, I'll be interested in hearing what you have found. I think I bought the DA Cheyenne when I saw you talking about it on another thread a while back. I haven't spent enough time with it yet to decide what I think is simply an eccentricity of its design, my own incompetence made worse by not having carefully read the manual, plus some potential "bugs" that I've found. Same OS as you so what you find should be applicable to my system too

Ian

Hi Ian,

Man - if you purchased on my recommendation and it does't work on this OS - really really sorry... It's a plane I've thoroughly enjoyed over the years and I have a strong desire to make it work on my new machine... In the past (Vista32) - it worked fine - but - I got tired of messing with the Trimble and swapped it out for the RXP GNS530... With my new OS - I think I'm going to have to replace all my RXP stuff and purchase new... I haven't made the purchase yet - but - I may this weekend... $100.00 for the unlimited pack - OUCH - and - from what I've seen in the forums Jean-Luc hasn't been around in ages !!! So official RXP support is questionable at the moment...

I'll certainly post updates for those interested...

Regards,

Scott

I'm fairly sure I ran the Cheyenne on 64-bit OS without any problems.

Best regards,

Robin.

Scott, I agree with you on the Trimble. It has made ##### one of my favorite phrases. Its buggy at best. You're right on the RXP gauges. You have to replace the XP version with the newer ones. I found some simplistic freeware versions if you're interested, but if you're looking for reality, they won't match RXP.

I'm flying the Cheyenne with Win7x64 but in FSX, so I'm not sure how relevant my experience is. But, I just set up a flight and had no problem with Nav mode following a flight plan.

Followed your procedure but I did notice your description never said you re-armed the Nav mode after setting the intercept heading and you didn't mention if you were within the requsite "3 dots" on the HSI.

Hope you get it sorted out. I know you love the Cheyenne!

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

I know you love the Cheyenne!

LOL - Jesse - hmm - am I starting to sound like a broken record ??? Maybe - just - step - away - from the Cheyenne... LOL - maybe I should go pick the the RealAir Duke and e done with it ?

Appreciate everyone's help - I'm going to remove it completely and start from scratch - maybe I had a bad install or something... My old machine was giving me fits for a while - so - it's been a while since I've been doing any serious flights... I could well have a "nut behind the keyboard" issue as well...

Again - appreciate everyone's help

Regards,

Scott

It definitely works in Win 7 X64 and I like it, so no worries Scott. But there are some quirks and having not run it on anything other than my new rig, I don't know if those were there before or are related to the OS. Nothing of importance - as far as I'm concerned, it's worth having. (Though I have to put in a plug for the DA Dornier 27 - which is in a league of its own!)

No worries mate

Ian

I've got it working now - one happy camper... During the week I was testing on my laptop - Win7x64 as well - which still doesn't work... Now I'm back on my real machine and it seems to work fine... Same OS on both - so I'm not really sure what's different... I might just enjoy this a bit before starting the conversion process to RXP...

Thanks folks and have a good night...

Regards,

Scott

If FS9 is installed as a 32 bit app then the gauges and dlls under it will run in a 32 bit environment. An app installed in Program Files (X86) will run as a 32 bit app. If not set the shortcut to it to run as 32 bit. That may be a difference between your two setups.

I looked at Cheyenne I and II panels on airliners.net. The I's appeared to use Garmin and the II's appeared to use something else. The text was not clear enough. Their radar looked very similar to the RXP WX500.

If manually installing independent RXP gauges I use FS Panel Studio. Be aware that some RXP gauges are dependent on some other gauges that if you don't want them displayed just place them outside of the panel view. This is true of their Jetline series. Their WX500 radar stands alone without hidden gauges. I also use their Apollo 50 GPS.

The RXP Garmins rely on using the Garmin Trainer outside app. It was updated some time ago for newer Win versions. I never used it because of its fixed database in the Trainer. As far as RXP compatibility some of their gauges go direct to video to achieve smoother and clearer display refreshes and for those gauges that could be a Win compatibility issue.

I purchased Ernie Alston's (developer of FSBuild) ISG gauge suite but have not installed them. The link below is updated showing more gauges than the developer site:

http://secure.simmarket.com/ernie-alston-integrated-simavionics-group-1-%28isg1%29.phtml

Like FS Build ISG is navigraph compatible. Some "retrofit" panel .cfgs made with FS Panel Studio are available on the ISG site:

http://isgsim.com/?page=features

which shows less gauges than in the updated package.

Look at the GNSXML MCU/FMS and also the other MCU. They will drive the AP and navigation displays if you retrofit the panel.

On the Cheyenne II's right hand seat there were two large displays non-illuminated. No duplication of steam gauges.

The Cheyenne I's with the most modern avionics added were FEX registration numbers. I assume FedEx?

I'm still on Win XP-32 so check compatibility on the ISG suite.

There are two other Garmin GPS gauge suppliers which I believe do not use the Garmin Trainer.

Hi Ronzie,

Wow - some write up - thanks ! Yeah - I do the same thing - I check airliners.net for real world installations before I go modifying panels... I did a search on "Cheyenne II cockpits" and I couldn't seem to find any with an FMC... Most had what looked like Garmin products from what i found... I've used ISGsim gauges for years as well... They are a decent improvement for those panels that use the default GPS when they have FMC's in real life... I have them configured for my Dreamfleet 727, Coolsky MD80 (Pseudo FS9 pro edition), PMDG Beech 1900, Embraer EMB-120, and others... They certainly make flying with RC4 a bit easier... Thanks again !

Regards,

Scott

Be sure to get the version updates that add some gauges. It is free and the download link is from your account order history at simmarket.

Same with FSBuild if you use that.

Aerosoft has a single AIRAC option for $11 that might be worth it to get both databases synced.

I've used ISGsim gauges for years as well...