Sign in to follow this  
Alec

How to avoid AA to blur 2D Panel?

Jim,

No, I have never used DX10, it doesn't have compatibility with all addons, and I personally hate DX10, DX11 is the way to go, DX10 was a huge fail in my opinion, they said it would bring reality to graphics, and it only brought the fps down to the ground, DX11 later came to make it much better! If DX10 stops the issue from happening, that's a plus for it! But I will only make the switch from DX9 when Prepar3d makes the jump to DX11 in 2013!

Zach,

I'm no AA Guru, I'm testing with no AA and AA Transparency SuperSampling 4x Sparse Grid SuperSampling, is that what you told me to try? In fact, now my 2D panels aren't blurry anymore, but the AA isn't near as good as the 8xS in getting rid of the jaggies.

Alexis Mefano

it doesn't have compatibility with all addons

DX10 has, for the most part, been fixed. Check out the DX10 forum here. The only thing it isn't compatible with is FS9 and earlier versions of textures but there's an Addon Converter X which makes them compatible on the fly. I like the fact that you now have shadows in the cockpit and I like the water dynamics.

After I posted above that my panel text textures were also very clear with AA off, mine suddenly cleared up too with AA on. You might want to check out Word Not Allowed's guide - http://#####.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/ and scroll down to his NI settings and discussions on AA SS and Sparse Grid SS. His settings work very well for most of us here.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I will experiment with different AA types here, my AA settings were the same as xxxxx's. It looks beautiful, and isn't fps heavy, only it affects the 2D Panel.

Anyway, I thank all of you for the suggestions! I can see there's no right answer here, each option comes with pros and cons. Luckly I don't use 2D panels anymore, the only thing I would be using is the 737NGX CDU, it looks awesome on my iPad.

Alexis Mefano

Jim,

No, I have never used DX10, it doesn't have compatibility with all addons, and I personally hate DX10, DX11 is the way to go, DX10 was a huge fail in my opinion, they said it would bring reality to graphics, and it only brought the fps down to the ground, DX11 later came to make it much better! If DX10 stops the issue from happening, that's a plus for it! But I will only make the switch from DX9 when Prepar3d makes the jump to DX11 in 2013!

Zach,

I'm no AA Guru, I'm testing with no AA and AA Transparency SuperSampling 4x Sparse Grid SuperSampling, is that what you told me to try? In fact, now my 2D panels aren't blurry anymore, but the AA isn't near as good as the 8xS in getting rid of the jaggies.

I actually use 8xS and 4xSparse Grid. I'm not sure why you're getting very blurry panels with that setting.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Me neither! But thanks for the help. I guess I will have to learn to live with it.

Alexis Mefano

Hi Alec

I have exactly the same problem with blurred PMDG NGX 2d panel. Have also found out that it is showing up, when I choose Antialiasing-Setting "8xs(Combined:1x2 SS + 4xMS)" (or other settings here) turned on in NI. When I go back to "application control/off" in Antialiasing-Setting, the 2d panel is sharp again. Did you find a solution to the problem. Have tried to google it, but it seems that we are the only ones with this problem :-(

What Alec is describing is something every single person who uses a supersampling type of AA is going to face. Anyone who says they run Sparse Grid or Screen Sampling and don't have blurrier 2D panels just simply isn't noticing the difference. There is no way around it, when you use those methods of AA, there IS going to be a blur effect on the 2D panels. I promise ($10,000 bet? lol) that anyone running any form of Sparse Grid or Super Sampling has blurred 2D panels. It's just one of those things that some people are going to be bothered more by and others won't even notice it (due to differences in vision, PC display variances like size and resolution, seating distance from the monitor, and so on)

I'm actually surprised to see that PanelAsTexture=0 tweak, I'm going to have to give it a shot. Otherwise, it's just one of those things you have to live with when running screen-based antialiasing.

Sorry for bringing this topic back up, but I am having the same problems. My 2d panel from the NGX gets blurry, once switched to Supersampling.... is there no solution yet ?