Sign in to follow this  
Gianluca Garella

Sudden left banking on landing

Hello,

Yesterday I was flying online and approaching rwy 16 at LOWW.

I was established on ILS flying manually, A/P disconnected, only autothrottle ON.

When i reached the threshold the plane suddenly banked to the left and I landed on the grass...

Such sudden turn never happened before. Anyone experienced this?

I have FSX, REX+ASE, flytampa scenery for LOWW and Service pack 1c of the NGX.

Any AI planes that had just landed? Perhaps you got hit by wake turbulence.

Regards

Oli

Oliver Branaschky

Thanks Oli,

Actually there was a plane holding to enter rwy 16, waiting for me to land. Could eventually this cause the issue?

Is there a way to avoid it or change so that doesn't happen anymore?

Thanks

SAS591 Gianluca Garella

Well, I don't believe a holding aircraft should cause this issue. Alas, with FSX, you never know ;-)

Best thing to do would indeed be deactivating wake turbulence. Unfortunately, I'm not sure right now whether it's in the FSX settings or a feature of FSUIPC. Maybe someone else will chime in. If not, I'll try and check tonight once I get home.

So long,

Oli

Oliver Branaschky

I tried to google some more this issue and it seems could be related to the wake turbulence.

Another guy had a plane holding short the rwy when this happened...

It seems on FSX even a "sleeping" aircraft can provocate turbulence :lol:

it could be caused by some ASE settings on wake turbulences.

I will try to check on the various ASE settings this evening.

I would bet that it is wake turbulence - i had the same problem with holding airplanes. Turning down/off the effect in ASE solves the problem!

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

I would bet that it is wake turbulence - i had the same problem with holding airplanes. Turning down/off the effect in ASE solves the problem!

Exactly. Unfortunately, it wasn't coded to check for AI motion and it caused a few issues with planes holding short of the runway. Granted, I'm not sure if it's a possibility to check for AI speed, or if that would be practical, but I turned wake turbulence way down because of that issue.

If there was a plane next to the runway and you're running a tool that simulates wake turbulence, I'd bet that's where the issue is.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm pretty sure it's the Activesky Wake Turbulence. Turn the slider down significantly (perhaps not "off" but well below half-way, maybe even well below 1/5th).

I'v found it happens more with Online (Vatsim) aircraft than true AI aircraft (offline). Perhaps something to do with the coding of FSinn/Squawkbox makes all aircraft "heavy" (instead of medium/small/light) or "moving" or something.

Trent Hopkinson

Dear Gianluca,

in your case I would not focus what it was (crosswind, wake turb, etc...) I will focus how it is possible that you landed out of the RWY! Do not turn it off and practise it more times. You should go arround immediately in such case.

Petr

Dear Gianluca,

in your case I would not focus what it was (crosswind, wake turb, etc...) I will focus how it is possible that you landed out of the RWY! Do not turn it off and practise it more times. You should go arround immediately in such case.

Petr

Unfortunately, that's pointless in FSX. I've been through that; had the same problem with a sudden bank to one side on short final.

I tried to counter this "wake turbulence" more than once by trying to go around, but could not regain control of the aircraft.

Once you're banked, it seems that any control input, even full deflection, does not do anything any more. Just as if the yoke/rudder was broken. You're spiraling into the ground from low altitude which leads to the inevitable crash. Going into TOGA will make you crash even faster.

Better turn wake turbulence off, I think it's not correctly done in FSX, so there's no point in trying to battle it.

Dave P. Woycek

Dear Gianluca,

Petr

Petr,

Actually, when it happens, as already someone said before, you can't get back control of the plane anymore, is not like crosswind is something that cannot happen in reality as it's a sim limitation and that cannot be foreseen.

First of all it happened when I was not more than 20 feet above the ground, and second even if you try to contrast the banking you don't get any response from the plane.

I would have been very happy to have the chance to make a Go around but when this banking occurs is matter of a second fraction and before you realize what happens you are already on ground.

As this is clearly a sim limitation I will follow the tip from the above fellows and disable all wake turbulences.

Many thanks to all

Petr,

Actually, when it happens, as already someone said before, you can't get back control of the plane anymore, is not like crosswind is something that cannot happen in reality as it's a sim limitation and that cannot be foreseen.

First of all it happened when I was not more than 20 feet above the ground, and second even if you try to contrast the banking you don't get any response from the plane.

I would have been very happy to have the chance to make a Go around but when this banking occurs is matter of a second fraction and before you realize what happens you are already on ground.

As this is clearly a sim limitation I will follow the tip from the above fellows and disable all wake turbulences.

Many thanks to all

I understand. In fact in real wake turbulence you can loose your plane easily. That is why there are some minutes delay between t/o of havier plane in fromnt of you. But you are right that if FSX makes this from standing plane or from landing also it is nosence and switch it off.

Nice landing ;-)

Petr