Sign in to follow this  
stretch1365

landing lights

Hi all,

Returned to my MD11 recently after a short spell away, checking out A2A's products and PMDG's 737, it still amazes me how the MD11 compares to these newer products!

Well went for a flight today and landed in the dark, something I try to avoid if possible! I noticed the landing lights didn't illuminate the runway! yes they are set in FSX to do so. I started reading through some of the posts here, which said that REX can effect the MD11's lights. Ah I thought, check other aircraft first, yep it's just the MD11! Then I read the post about light cones and which way were they pointing! So I checked this and found the landing lights were working but pointing at say 30 degree's away from the aircraft across the grass. Using my FSX keyboard command guide, I realised you can adjust the landing lights in tilt and pan using the CTR+SHIFT+ NUM PAD 2,4,6,8,5 ie down, left, right, up and centre. Except that the lights on the MD11 seem to move like this, 2 left not down, 4 up not left, 6 down not right, 8 right not up and 5 should be centre and points the light's off across the field again. Also it seemed that alot of the light cone was actually coming from the right hand landing light, as sitting in the cockpit and not from both. Not the best lights to land with, and not very bright!

I set the lights as best I could on the runway, yes it is just achievable, and exited FSX thinking the setting might be saved but on reloading FSX I found I was back at square 1. Can anyone suggest what I should try next to get the MD11's Landing lights back on the runway all the time!

Thanks for any advice,

Happy flying

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

I had this issue, only with the RealAir Duke. I went into REX and changed the landing light option to the last one I think it was. I am sorry I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I will post back up after I get home unless someone beats me to it.

Restore the backup of your textures file that you created after you installed REX. Then go into the REX options (or configuration menu) and uncheck the option for REX to change the landing lights. That should fix the issue.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Restore the backup of your textures file that you created after you installed REX. Then go into the REX options (or configuration menu) and uncheck the option for REX to change the landing lights. That should fix the issue.

I tried this solution several weeks back and it worked perfectly. My FSX textures were in the AS2012 initial backup. I believe the REX initial backup had AS2012 textures in it.

Michael Cubine

Hi,

Thanks for the replies I will report back when I get a chance to try this out!

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Hi all,

Just to report back, installed the original texture backup in REX, as suggested and the landing lights worked fine on the MD11!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Happy flying!

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

I have the same problem so I unchecked landing lights in the REX options, then restored my original fsx textures, then reinstalled REX textures but I still have the problem. The landing lights are there but so "triangles" way in front of the aircraft, nothing directly in front of the aircraft.

I have the same problem so I unchecked landing lights in the REX options, then restored my original fsx textures, then reinstalled REX textures but I still have the problem. The landing lights are there but so "triangles" way in front of the aircraft, nothing directly in front of the aircraft.

If this happened then your "backup" of that texture must have gotten replaced, or it was already replaced when the backup was made so now you no longer have a copy of the original. You'll have to find a copy of the original texture somewhere online.

Thanks Molleh. Is this a PMDG texture or an FSX texture? A reinstall of the MD-11 would be easier than a reinstall of fsx... :)

Hi all,

I just went into the configuration options in REX and clicked on "Back up options" and clicked the Original Backup option, then when the original backup was re installed I unclicked the landing light option in the settings screen before saving the settings again, it's been fine since.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

ok, I feel like a dummy, but if you install the original backup and save the settings aren't you left without rex textures?

Hi fatback,

No dummy maybe I didn't explain very well.

When you go back to the original backup settings in REX. You can then on the "options page" see all the tick boxes for runway textures, lines, water, clouds and lighting etc, select "all" so all the boxes are ticked then deselect "landing lights" safe all those options, ie everything except landing lights, let REX save those options, which might take a few minutes. Once saved you can then deselect all ticks and everytime REX loads from then on it won't try to reload all the options each time. This will speed up your REX loading times to a few seconds whenever you load REX at the beginning of a flight.

I hope this clears things up.

Happy Flying.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.