Sign in to follow this  
Garciamk4

Most Effective FS9 Performance tweaks

Hey Guys I;ve decided to create a Topic on Performance Tweaks for FS9 I just recently Installed FS9 On my older PC To Be honest it doesnt run that bad, Ive added alot of Scenery,Aircrafts. I read about a nifty tool that searches for Missing Alpha Channels in the FS9 Root directory and atumatically fixes them. Ive done that along with a few FS9.CFG Tweaks and i mus say it runs flawlessly.

Anyhow the purpose of this thread,is for people to share there Most effective tweaks (MOST EFFECTIVE TWEAKS) lol or even New tweaks that has xchanged there Flight simulation expirience P;ease Share.

My system Specs

CPU/ Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHZ

Mother Board/ INTEL DG43GT Classic Series

GPU/ AMD RADEON HD 6750 Series PCI Express

SYS RAM/ 8GB RAM DDR2

Please Share;-) Happy SImming

Yes Airbus 380, i took the video down from this post LOL the playback wasnt to great is best to watch it directly from youtube i guess lol

The two most important peformance tweaks I've discovered are:

a. The missing alpha channel problem - in fact I was the one who started the thread you referred to. I saw the tip when searching for some other information, tried it with a particular scenery and was blown away when getting rid of the missing alpha channels doubled the FPS for that particular scenery. Some people say it doesn't increase fps - just reduces stuttering. In many cases, that may be true but in this case, I can attest to a doubling of the FPS - I did an exact "before" and "after" test with the identical flight and settings...

b. Something I found recently was that if you have AI files that have missing aircraft that can cause a huge hit if you are in a congested area and your system is frantically searching to find the aircraft the file is calling up and are no longer there. It was incredibly tedious, but by going through all my AI files one by one and making sure that they were "clean" - no missing aircraft - but also making sure the aircraft themselves didn't have missing alpha channels etc. WOW - I am thrilled at the difference it has made.

Chers

Ian

So the bottom line is, search all AI and Scenery textures and add alpha channel? Forgive my ignorance but is it by opening a file and save it DXT3 automatically adds alphachannel? Because that is all I know how I fix some Maddog livery textures to solve blurries. Thanks

Jon_aus Yourwelcome,quraisy, yes im pretty sure this adds alpha channels automatically....Fixes stuttering in FS9 and FSX caused by dxt3 and dxt5 files without active alpha channel data.

Well i`m totally blown away,just ran the dxtf fix and it has made a huge improvement all round.

Suddenly my whole experience has been radically changed for the better.

Thanks to all concerned!

Hi,

I have used Word Not Allowed´s tweaks for FSX described in the hardware section of this forum. Seems to work well in FS9 as well. Especially the the ½ Vsync rate and locking the FPS at 30 in the sim provides extremely smooth simulation. And using 4x SSGS in Nvidia Inspector removed all shimmering in trees and fences (almost).

Best Regards,

Anders

Tried that program and found zero difference. Perhaps other factors at play? Dunno.

Jon.

Don't feel bad. It didn't make one iota of difference for me either.

gwillmot

The addon where the difference was so dramatic for me was Aerosoft's EHBK Maastricht-Aachen. With others the difference was modest or zero, but overall, by doing both scenery and AI aircraft, I think the majority of people who have done this found it significant. It definitely transformed things for me. But as always, "results may vary." LOL As we all know, there's no magic bullet - what works for some doesn't work for others because there are just so many variables - the addons we're using, our system, our astrological sign etc etc. B)

IMHO successfully tweaking FS9 is also dependent on tweaking the underlying OS. For example, I've turned off Windows 7's "Aero" interface and use the old-style desktop instead. I've also turned off unnecessary services, including "Themes," disabled file indexing, and a host of other things. Try googling "Windows 7 performance tweaks" (or insert your OS of choice if not Windows 7). I also highly recommend Nick N.'s FS9 performance tweaks, a link to which someone else has kindly posted above. Then there is the video driver issue. For me, since I run an Nvidia card, NvidiaInspector is a must. You can search the forums here for NvidiaInspector and find a number of examples of what works for other people.

In the final analysis, as is constantly pointed out when the subject of tweaking arises here, a great deal of what works best depends on the individual user's specific hardware, so those things I've mentioned should be viewed as a starting point. Some trial and error, and further tweaks, will probably be necessary to achieve optimum results. For myself, however, I have found the time I have invested in the process to have been very well spent.