Sign in to follow this  
Guest Blue Skyy

Daniel Webster College

Hi, I recently attended an open house at Daniel Webster College in Nashua, NH. I'll be going to a week long camp there this summer, to take a few classes, and log some intro flights.Has anyone ever heard of DWC? How are they recognized around the airline business?It seemed like they had a fairly strong program.www.dwc.eduThanks.

I know a guy (online) wheo went through the program and is flyin A-320's for an airline, but he may be the exception..... I've heard of the school but I'm from VT, right next door.Brian

I almost went to school there myself. Instead I attended Nathaniel Hawthorne College, used to be not to far away in Antrim NH. They went financially bust back in the late 90's. DWC is a nice small school and it will be what you make of it. Its got a decent flying program from what I understand.Hornit Delta Pilot

From the things I've heard they have a good program with a good fleet of aircraft, but the ratio of instructors and aircraft to students is rather low. It's something you would want to investigate if you are considering attending college there. I do have friends who were recruited to instruct at DWC right after they recieved their CFI rating (I even know one person who recieved a recruiting letter before he finished his CFI, oddly enough) so it's something you should look into.The truth is that you can make whatever you want out of any college, but it certainly does make things easier if you have the resources available to you. Talk to some students at the school if you visit (Not the ones the college sets you up with either) and try to figure out exactly what's going on: if they're happy, what they'd change about the program, etc. The most important thing is that you find some place where you can spend 4, 5 or even 6 years without being miserable-- the flying part is secondary.

Guest Blue Skyy

<< I do have friends who were recruited to instruct at DWC right after they recieved their CFI ra>>Hey Rob,I sent you an email but I guess your account is listed on avsim as being different than your primary email. Could you email me privately about the above subject, I was also recruited to go to DWC to instruct (not final, I'll hear by June 1st or so I'm told). I was just wondering what your friends experiences were/are and if I could get in touch with them to ask them questions.Thanksmatt

None of them took the job. Most of them recieved their CFI's when they were still sophomores/juniors in college and were not in a position to go anywhere else. Additionally, they had current instructing jobs as interns at our college (ohio university) with the potential for a full time job upon graduation. I don't think any of them even took a look at DWC as it was not a realistic option for them to consider. I know for a fact that they did not interview. Sorry I can't offer you something more helpful.-Rob

Guest Blue Skyy

Hey no probelm, thanks for the response. It seems like a good deal, weekly salary and paid flight hours. Also, they will pay for my MEI and CFI-Glider rating. Only drawback I can see right now is that they are saying I'll only get ~300-400 hours a year there, not that much, but that includes 150-200 hours multi by the time the 'internship' is up.http://www.dwc.edu/academics/aviation/emp_opps.aspThat's the link to the posting. What do you think? Hopefully I can get another part time job instructing up there as well, I did my private at the same airport and grew up about .4 miles from the school.thanksmatt